Look what I found!!!!!!

hullbilly

Unless that's a burn hole in one of the pics, you probably aren't losing any noticeable performance. After racing my promax for half a season, my boysens looked similar.

I had lots of testing data on the previous performance of my setup (namely rpm at all areas and ET's). I changed them out to a new set of TDR and not a single performance change was observed in my setup.

It's good time to change them, but any changes in performance will not be due to reed condition IMO.

That corner location is where they all normally chip and fray.

patches

I agree with Mark. Those reeds aren't that bad.

That linkage won't come with the new trigger, least it hasn't on the ones I've bought

Allyfishing

hullbilly, I'll have to go and take a look at that one reed and see if it is a burn hole. I'm not sure. I think it was fuel under the first reed. There was lots of fuel inside everywhere. I'm pretty sure I have an injector or two running rich and maybe one running lean. All in all its messed up.

As for the top end performance, the speed last time out was consistent with previous runs so I would have to agree with you there. However, idling and smoking have been noticeably different.

Allyfishing

OK, where's the temp sensor???

I'm told some sensors are not used due to the Brucato ACU I have. I know the TPS is disconnected.

suicidealli

there is a head temp. round cylinder with tan wires coming out of it. it is mounted in the head. they usually run 10% rich when disconected, or bad. might be worse with the acu. i know the pcu on a 260 with the "air temp" unplugged, or broke it thinks air temps are like 0*.. when the air temp is bad the plugs will be soaking wet, and idle like a pig!!!!!

roy

Last edited:

patches

I don't mess with the laser efi system much at all but I think there's a temp sensor mounted in the side of the intake on the starboard side(?))

Allyfishing

Roy, the only temp sensors I have in the heads are the one on the port side for my temp gauge in dash and the starboard side is the overheat sensor for the alarm to sound. Neither is connected to the ACU.

Patches, yes there is a black disc inserted in the side of the intake on the starboard side with two wires coming off if it with bullet connectors. That was hooked up when i removed the intake. Can that go bad and what does it do??? Should I replace it as well??

BTW, am I calling these parts the correct name?? The injectors are installed in the manifold and the reeds in the reed block?? Is that the correct terminology?? Which is the intake then???

catfish123

Craig, please stop looking at your engine and take Jen's advice...........you out there anywhere Jen???..............LOL

patches

Yes, that is your temp sensor. If it goes bad it'll richen your mix 10% with a stock ecu. Not sure about the Brucato box. I'd ask Tony. I call the whole assembly that bolts to the front half the intake

suicidealli

i agree with eric that is the air temp sensor.. usually 1 black wire, and 1 gray.. i hae seen after market different colors. im with eric i have messed with laser injection for years...... i know with the pcu it is much worse than merc. it may be -32*. i talked to tony about it a few years ago. it is drastic!!!!!!!!!!! you would know something is wrong.
i ran the pcu for about 5 years, and have programs for everything... there nice, and great for the fisherman. i prefer merc for racing. JMO

roy

Allyfishing

Hey guys, great news.....I think!! Tony received my ACU today and after testing it called me and gave me the news. Obviously, the stator (I'm hoping) caused a few spikes in the electrical system and caused some bad spots in the program and they were right where I had the surging issues. He re-flashed the program and is sending it back.

He explained it all to me how that works and although he cannot say 100% that is what it was we are fairly confident that is what may have happened.

He has the patience of a Saint as I asked him every imaginable question I could think of while I had him on the phone and he was very obliging.

Now to reassemble when I have all mey parts back in hand and then to test on the hose. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So it may make sense as several of you explained about the burnt reeds from burning in the crankcase if there was fuel being dumped in and the ACU was not telling the motor to fire til the mapping in the ACU told it to fire up again. I know that is not the correct technical terms but that's all your going to get from a beer man. LOL!!!

Thanks for helping guys!!

SLOmofo

Mmmmmm, Beeer!
This is a parallel to that stator. Sorta stock OMC on my fishing boat. Came out of a 5mph cove put it on plane and it was chugging along Not running on all 6. Theres a 45mph limit and I'm fishing a tournament no need to get DQ'd. I poked it a couple of times to clean it out and it didn't, but it did lockup tighter than a snare drum. Tore it down to find a holed piston that broke the sleeve. Wasn't on plane but 40 seconds or so total. Found the stator burned through to the ignition winding, that took out the packs that send to the coils. AC voltage at high amps fed into the coil packs sent continouis spark to that cylinder.

Do you know what wore that wire? It doesn't look like it arced there on top just worn through or pinched. Like you say it might be arced on the other side.

Allyfishing

Mmmmmm, Beeer!
Found the stator burned through to the ignition winding, that took out the packs that send to the coils. AC voltage at high amps fed into the coil packs sent continouis spark to that cylinder.

Do you know what wore that wire? It doesn't look like it arced there on top just worn through or pinched. Like you say it might be arced on the other side.
No idea what happened to that wire, SLOmofo. I only have this engine 2 years now and it was a fresh rebuild when I bought it. My guess is that wire accidentally became a victim of being at the wrong place at the right time!! LOL!!!!! Maybe the flywheel had to be removed at some point before tear down or even initial tear down before rebuilding and at that point was either struck by something or pried on for some reason and never noticed after that.

I'm just glad someone asked me to just look up at the windings. That's how I saw it. If the break in the casing would have been on the underside (against the coils) I would have never known.

SLOmofo

I know on an OMC if the puller bolts are threaded in to far they will contact the trigger. Sooooo maybe........
You could put a piece of clay on top of that wire and put the flywheel back on, see it it squishes out. Then do it again and rotate the flywheel.....
The posabilities should be ruled out before you assume it was just during R and R.

Allyfishing

Good point but the wire shown in the picture was not under the flywheel. It was facing down where if you peeked up underneath you could see it with the flywheel still in place.

And, out of curiosity, I moved that part of the wire out to the side so I could get a look at it better and the insulation was burned fast to the bare coils and a single strand of wire was resting on the bare coils.

Case closed!!!!

i hope!!!

SLOmofo

So did the trigger arm touch it? Something pushed on it to cause the insulation to wear through on both sides.
I'm a auto mechanic, I have my own shop, I have to know why so I don't do whatever it was to cause the problems I find. Not per say on your Merc, I'll probably never see underneith one of those cowlings but it's just in my DNA to know.