Nice bat turn!

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW! Looks like steering bolt mighta broken? Looks like the boat was flying straight and the motor turned on him.

suicidealli

i dont know him, but i know guys who do. we heard the tiller arm broke. he was talkin some smack the week before saying he can beat any allison, if it is the same guy. a friend of mine told him he would run him, and bring his check book....lol anyway i heard he broke his angle or foot, and the boat was ok. they got the motor fired up too... who knows. foolish though...

roy

K.Kiser

I concur on steering failure... I say this here in front of everyone, that anybody that runs boats especially performance boats without a lifejacket if a real dumb***... I know it's it's everyone's right (at the moment) to do so, but stupidity is still the prevailing characteristic...

whipper

Yep agree on the wearing a vest thing!! I still framed it and saw the motor turn hard right while going straight also. The motor lifted higher and turned hard. The motor stayed in the right position like it was locked there. Even when the boat rolled the motor was locked in still. Glad he was not to harmed. It could have been a lot worse. There was a recall a while back on steering bolts not being the right hardness. I checked mine when that came out and bought a new one. Safety checks on all components should be a regular pre run occurrence. The way those Hydrostreams run so LOOSE with big power theres forces there way above craft designed for that power. Though it looks really fun to be bouncing around accelerating like they do it must be hard on the equipment. Just saying.

Darth VMAX

The way those Hydrostreams run so LOOSE with big power theres forces there way above craft designed for that power. Though it looks really fun to be bouncing around accelerating like they do it must be hard on the equipment. Just saying.

What exactly are those old Hydrostreams rated for MAX hp? You see them ALL the time with 2.5 HP motors on them. There was one with a freaked out 3.0L OMC, I am sure everything and anything have been rigged on them. Are they unlimited HP?
I just don't know too much about the old Vector, V-King, Varmit and Vixen Hydrostream boats.

GotMyAlly

Probably rated for a 115......LOL. They look like they are about 17' long, which would mean a coast guard rating based on length and width.

h2oskiier30

Vectors are 17 ft. I believe Vipers are 15 ft. Those old 'streams were a chine walking handfull once you got some speed on them. I had a buddy that had a Varmint (the old 'stream bass hull) with a 235 Johnny on it. He looked like he was shadow boxing when he had it strung out he was having to work the steering wheel so hard.

RedAllison

HOPEFULLY that dumbass will have learned his lesson and will have a jacket on next time, ESPECIALLY in those rickety ol contraptions. I luv those ol 'streams but they are being pushed WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond what they were ever designed for. If that was that guys first "highspeed swim" I bet he has seen the light and will snap that vest on from now on. If not, then some people NEVER learn a lesson, they're "statistics to become". Some of us "live and learn", others never quite get that LEARN part down.

Still wish there was some better way to hook up a SeaStar than one lil ol bolt to hold it all together, :confused:
RA

K.Kiser

HOPEFULLY that dumbass will have learned his lesson and will have a jacket on next time, ESPECIALLY in those rickety ol contraptions. I luv those ol 'streams but they are being pushed WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond what they were ever designed for. If that was that guys first "highspeed swim" I bet he has seen the light and will snap that vest on from now on. If not, then some people NEVER learn a lesson, they're "statistics to become". Some of us "live and learn", others never quite get that LEARN part down.

Still wish there was some better way to hook up a SeaStar than one lil ol bolt to hold it all together, :confused:
RA
^^ Well said... Please elaborate on the SeaStar comment, and I'll start a new thread if I need to... I have SeaStar and am curious of any inherent problems with it...

whipper

^^ Well said... Please elaborate on the SeaStar comment, and I'll start a new thread if I need to... I have SeaStar and am curious of any inherent problems with it...
There have been a few incedents were the {SINGLE} bolt that holds the steering on in the center of the tiller have sheered. Some have used any old bolt to fasten this key component on. When there is accually a very high grade ARP bolt that should be ONLY used to prevent the bolt from sheering. There was some talk about it after the last incedent of this happening for every one to check the NUMBER on the bolt. The bolt is a pricy little bugger but its all that is holding your steering from control to out of control so worth every pennie!! I think they are 10 or 20 bucks for the one bolt. Hears a link to the part numbers provided by Xsive. http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=4756&highlight=steering+bolt Just measure what length you need and go to a Merc dealer and get the right bolt if you dont have the right one already. Also its probably worth it to change it every so ofter with a new one just to be extra dilagent since its key and only one bolt.

Theres a little number on the bolt but I cant remember what it says right now? If your bolt doent have it replace it.