Repairing a pad on an 03

suicidealli

Repairing the lip, and edges, where a guy got into a submerged concrete wall.
Just enough to tear the gel up. I will post pics along the way. We are going to blueprint the bottom, and finish it with my slick coating.... We might work the sporty too...

Roy

ROBERT CROSS

Roy,

What are you using?
I had a gouge about the same size on the left side of rear of the pad.
Marine Tex white has held up very well, even the color match is good.

Bob
:very happy

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
This should be a good thread. I have to do some minor work to the bottom of my boat too. Nothing that serious tho.

catfish123

Heck, that's the way mine looks now after sanding it per Chad202's instructions..................LMAO.........just kidding ya buddy!

LakeAnna

This should be a good thread! My GS needs some bottom work that I hope to get to in Jan/Feb when work slows. Show us some tricks Roy!

suicidealli

Using all products from Allison, as far as the repair. I cleaned it up, and put a few coats on it today. It is drying over night. Maybe some pics tomorrow.
I ran a fan, and a DH to dry any moisture that was absorbed. It was raining when it was dropped off. :-( I have a moisture tester to determine moisture content. This pad was worked a long time ago, and had 2 areas that somebody tried to fix. They filled the chips, but they left to much gel around the area, creating 2 high spots. I worked a couple props for this guy a few months ago. He is running 100 mph even solo, with a fishing load. Has a 280 that is ready for a rebuild. I'm going to build it next month. Comp 123-140. It runs strong still for it's health. Turns a highly worked 28 7500 6% 100.0

Roy

ROBERT CROSS

Will the Marine Tex buff to a shine like the gel?
I wet sanded 600-2000 wet paper, 3M fine compound and wax.

This is the only photo I have of the area that was damaged...from the end of the pad forward about 10", about 3" on the bottom of the pad.

I'd take a better pic but she's up for storage.:very sad

Bob

mdevrow

Heck, that's the way mine looks now after sanding it per Chad202's instructions..................LMAO.........just kidding ya buddy!
What grit sandpaper did you use Catfish?? I got into a few barnicles last week right above the rub rail not nice BUT not NEAR That bad!!

catfish123

Not sure of the grit.........let's just say AGGRESSIVE!!!!!!!!.............LOL

catfish123

Roy, your work is remarkable.......so I'll make a remark..............WOW!.......it looks like you REALLY know what you are doing on that type of repair. Great job!!!....I wish I understood the "tape trick" better, but I don't.

suicidealli

Yes packing tape.. I use just cheap old scotch tape on a tiny rock chip.. It leaves it so smooth...... Should be ready for some fast coating maybe tomorrow.... I use to be a body shop manager years ago. The kind of manager that worked in the shop too.. I did all the hard hit cars, and all the paint work... We did a few boats from time to time.. I had a ranger with a bright red on the top. That is where it was damaged. A lot of flake in it too. Tried to keep the repair small as possible. So I came up with the scotch tape deal..

Don't get me wrong I have to block everything down to get it perfectly straight. This pad had a few waves in it. It is really close now, and after a few coats of my fast coat I will block it down again, and again. Then she will be so slick, and smooth. I blunted the nose of the case today too.. Not sure if we are going to work the rest of the case or not. Can't get a hold of the guy. It is wavy too, so there is a little speed there too. I would like to see 3 mph increase... If we do the whole case maybe 4 mph increase...

Roy

suicidealli

Roy, your work is remarkable.......so I'll make a remark..............WOW!.......it looks like you REALLY know what you are doing on that type of repair. Great job!!!....I wish I understood the "tape trick" better, but I don't.
Bob, if your applying gel coat it is thin like paint. It will run down the side of the boat. If you put enough gel to just to fill a chip, and apply tape it holds the gel in place til it dries. Peal the tape and it looks awesome. In This case I had to make a corner, so the tape is worth its weight in gold. Instead of putting on a huge blob, and sandin your butt off. I tape to he side that has the correct profile, and fill in the gel. Roll the tape around the corner. After it dries peel it off, and gives you a decent corner. This job was pretty extreme case, so it took several coats to fill it all in. Sand it to get the exact shape. If there are some little voids do it again. Now if there are some super tiny pit holes you can just put a drop on, and let it dry...
Hope it helps bob.. Your giving up all my secretes.. Best thing to do is call me and schedule a time to drop it off....

Roy

catfish123

Yep, me too........it's one thing to be very knowledgeable, but quite another to share that knowledge so willingly...............Thanks Roy, we all appreciate it.

fnshrmaster

That is very good info. If it was warmer I would tackle my dock rash repair and use the tape trick too. I will give it a try in 5 months or so.
Thanks for the info. That's what makes this board great, people like Roy with the knowledge and willing to help!