Richard is getting that 280 rolling

Alli-drenaline Rush

My guess Richard is you were turning 71-7200 RPM's. Figuring 9-10 % slip you are right there. Next time out we will know for sure.
Todd - we'll know Mar 2!!! And none of this 1/2 mile run cr*p... I'll be able to stabilize on a good long run....

GotMyAlly

My guess Richard is you were turning 71-7200 RPM's. Figuring 9-10 % slip you are right there. Next time out we will know for sure.

You mean you couldn't nail it within give or take 10 RPM just by listening to the sound of the motor? LOL....audio on that video musta been off!

atcje

If you are gonna do a long run be careful with your jackplate. If you feel a lean left and a pull to the right, go down on your plate immediatly. Always lower your plate first when slowing down.

GotMyAlly

Personally, I don't like hitting the JP-up button for that last 1/4" or so while I'm running WFO. I'll bump the trim down a tap, let off the pedal to about 80% throttle, then bump the JP up a tap or two. Then kick the trim back up, and if it takes a set and everything feels right, I'll bury the throttle again.

Alli-drenaline Rush

If you are gonna do a long run be careful with your jackplate. If you feel a lean left and a pull to the right, go down on your plate immediatly. Always lower your plate first when slowing down.
Thanks Johnny! Like Neal I like to not adjust the JP under load.....

Grateful for your thoughts, but my plan over the course of the coming months is to experiment and gain seat time with the JP at such a height as to make the propshaft no higher than even with the pad..... set the JP for a particular run, then (as desired) bump the trim switch up, and if that action produces no bow lift, or no increase in speed, or if the bow then tends to lean to the right, then I can bump the trim down and continue on.....

And of course (as one of my buddies noted) engage the self-imposed rev limiter lol.....

atcje

Just be careful and always remember that your skeg is the one thing preventing your boat from acting like a top. If you have your plate too high and try to accelerate and the prop loses bite it creates perfect situation to look at where you just came from. Have fun and be safe.

RedAllison

I'm not sure Richard has hit 7000 rpms yet with the hydro. In time... I would like to see what a older worked 28 trophy would do on it...

Roy
:gasp In that case I recommend a kevlar suit, Lifeline jkt and a HANS for your helmet when that Trophy slings a blade at 100+!!! :help

TBuck2003

I'm not sure Richard has hit 7000 rpms yet with the hydro. In time... I would like to see what a older worked 28 trophy would do on it...

Roy
If it was under 7 grand then the slip was 6-6.5 % which is possible. But from watching the video, without being trimmed all the way out, the boat was still semi wet so I think it is closer to 71-7200 @10% or so.
28 OT will eat a 28 Trophy all day long on the big end...

GotMyAlly

Thanks Johnny! Like Neal I like to not adjust the JP under load.....

Grateful for your thoughts, but my plan over the course of the coming months is to experiment and gain seat time with the JP at such a height as to make the propshaft no higher than even with the pad..... set the JP for a particular run, then (as desired) bump the trim switch up, and if that action produces no bow lift, or no increase in speed, or if the bow then tends to lean to the right, then I can bump the trim down and continue on.....

And of course (as one of my buddies noted) engage the self-imposed rev limiter lol.....
Be careful if you start getting anywhere near even with the pad. The video where I ran 96 at the rally.........that was 1/2" below. You don't have to jack these to the moon to get a good number.

What I'm about to say is purely speculation. I ran my old boat even with or above the pad at times. Jim's ran his the same way. So have a lot of people, with older 21's. My new one will buck you if you try to run it up there. Yours is newer than mine, so if something changed in terms of the mold between my first one and my new one, yours will be more like my new one than like my old one and all the guys that are running above the pad.

Allyfishing

Yours is newer than mine, so if something changed in terms of the mold between my first one and my new one, yours will be more like my new one than like my old one and all the guys that are running above the pad.
Very good point Neal!!!!! I kinda wondered the same after you told me that you could not run your height on the new one like you or others do on prior year ones!!!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Be careful if you start getting anywhere near even with the pad. The video where I ran 96 at the rally.........that was 1/2" below. You don't have to jack these to the moon to get a good number.

What I'm about to say is purely speculation. I ran my old boat even with or above the pad at times. Jim's ran his the same way. So have a lot of people, with older 21's. My new one will buck you if you try to run it up there. Yours is newer than mine, so if something changed in terms of the mold between my first one and my new one, yours will be more like my new one than like my old one and all the guys that are running above the pad.
Another great point!

suicidealli

If it was under 7 grand then the slip was 6-6.5 % which is possible. But from watching the video, without being trimmed all the way out, the boat was still semi wet so I think it is closer to 71-7200 @10% or so.
28 OT will eat a 28 Trophy all day long on the big end...
I have worked some trophy's, and got some very impressive numbers with a load. I ran the OT as well it is a good prop.
Richard told me he didn't think he hit 7g with it, I wasn't guessing.Lol
He ran 89.9 at 6800 with the 27 trophy. That is a stock trophy.. It is a shame the new ones fly apart.
Not putting Down hydromotive props, or the OT. Good guys, and good props!!!! I have owned 4 or 5.
Just curious what a worked trophy would do.. I thought 89.9 at 6800 with a stock 27 was impressive......
I even told Richard to inspect the trophy before he went out...lol

Roy

Last edited:

jimbob88

Good job richard!! The third run in the video looks like you opened her up. I'd be trying to throw a lure on that lake instead of wfo!! Stump city.

GotMyAlly

I haven't had any problems out of the old ones. I turned a 26 with 1.75 gears 7400-7500 a little over 100 loaded for miles. 1/2 over the pad.
I wouldn't do that with a new one....lol
Roy
But your boat weighs half what Richard's does. And those big TX lakes are ROUGH when the wind blows. Loading/unloading the prop in rough water is a blade killer.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Good job richard!! The third run in the video looks like you opened her up. I'd be trying to throw a lure on that lake instead of wfo!! Stump city.
Lol Jimbob! There was a tournament going on that day, and the guys were pulling in some nice ones! A buddy in the bass club won the BASS tournament on that lake a few weeks ago with either 17 or 19 lbs - he bagged an $1,100 check! I think his best was a 6 or a 7 pounder...

Last edited: