Russ "62mph" P.

flying07

Sufka, wont lie, i think your last bump of the trim might have even scared me a little in my own boat. . . . impressive how it shot from 86 to 92 though!

flying07

well, weekend number two. Had some time by myself in the ally, big calm lake to 'learn.' Wow, it's hard! Worked a lot on slowing down, as many said, that is sometimes harder then speeding up! Got the boat on the pad a few times, (see video!), and wow, that is one amazing feeling! Hard to describe for sure! More practice to come! thanks all!! p.s. have a video, anyone know how to get it from facebook? i tried copying the URL link but it wont work. . .

Jon

Supporting Member
The first time I got mine onto the pad, it reminded me of the sensation of sitting on a rolling stool and someone kicking out from under you :). You don't expect it, and it just takes off! Unfortunately, I don't feel it like that anymore because I'm expecting it.

whipper

well, weekend number two. Had some time by myself in the ally, big calm lake to 'learn.' Wow, it's hard! Worked a lot on slowing down, as many said, that is sometimes harder then speeding up! Got the boat on the pad a few times, (see video!), and wow, that is one amazing feeling! Hard to describe for sure! More practice to come! thanks all!! p.s. have a video, anyone know how to get it from facebook? i tried copying the URL link but it wont work. . .
https://www.facebook.com/russell.peterson.357/videos/10106131365072180/ Hears the link. Mash that bad boy and use trim to get on the pad not gas is all i have to say. I left you a short comment on FB also...:LMAO:well short for me!!:rolleyes:

whipper

Jon a
The first time I got mine onto the pad, it reminded me of the sensation of sitting on a rolling stool and someone kicking out from under you :). You don't expect it, and it just takes off! Unfortunately, I don't feel it like that anymore because I'm expecting it.

Jon slap a drag on there that should get the warm and fuzzy feeling back at 65 ;) Have you ever tryed after a run into say the 80,s just backed off without trimming down? Then from a rolling start tryed to get back to the same speed again without touching the trim?:) It works you just have to watch when your at the pad speed because your generating more lift than normal once you get there. If you make it past there youll be good. Just having some fun goofing around trying different stuff. The hole shot is the real masterpiece of talent if ya ask me though. it takes a while without a trim gauge to find that perfect launch trim were the bow stays up and dry the whole time. If you have fast trim its way easier than stock slow trim like mine! :( i just pretend that if i my bow drops even a little at take off the sea monster going to eat Allison and i have to keep her safe.:rolleyes: i have some more caffeine if ya want some...haha:D

Last edited:

flying07

Totally agree Jon, gosh it's a strange feeling! haha

whipper

Your going to get it real soon Russ. One day just before you leave the lake your going to say one more time. Then you will get a real glimpse of the steering feel. You'll say thats it thats it i got it. Then you can hardly wait till the next time that next time out you will have it just like that. You never get worse only better. You will see its so easy all of a sudden youll wonder what took you so long. Its that way for for most of us. theres the odd duck that just for what ever reason learned it in a day. Those the same guys that can spin a basketball on any finger and never played basketball and can do front flips of the cliff for the first time to a perfect dive without any practice and could smoke a bag of weed and get straight A,s in high school! We all know one or two of them. :rolleyes: But they are the exception to the rule. Its quite an accomplishment really! Most super high performance boaters that race off shore will tell you that if you can drive an Allison you can drive any high performance boat out there. The principals are the same. Just like Sufka could hop in your boat not his and do it. Its kinda cool to know that not any one can just hop in your boat and drive it better than you. Thats like that saying I drive an Allison because I can. hehe

To take this one step further imagine the vision Darris Allison has when designing these hulls. They are all designed to run 100 mph with the least amount of HP. But he knows it will take a practice driver skill to do so. Thats kinda wild when ya think about it. He designs boats that no one can drive in essence.o_O You go the dealer theres a two hulls sitting there. An other bass boat and an Allison both with 225,s. The new driver jumps in the other bassboat takes it down the lake drives to 70mph oh ya nice!! then goes back takes out the XB2003 with a 225 on the back accelerates to 70 like the other boat and its all squirly and feels like hes going to crash slows down drives slow back to the dealer. This ones defective or setups wrong or something ill buy the other one. :D then the next week hes motoring down the lake at 70 and a blur at almost 100mph passes him like he was standing still it was the Allison he test drove. He thinks they must have fixed it. ;)

Take your GS to work and go for an hour after work one night? Ever second trying it will get you one step closer. Your GS looks really sweet and sounds awesome!!

Oh darn one more thing. The speed is dictated buy your trim not your foot is why I said what I did on the FB post. Sooo your GPS and trim are your friend or your enemy. Not to worried about rpm at this stage in the game. With your foot to the floor only have enough trim to reach 60 mph. At that speed if you have just enough trim you will not go any faster but you will feel the bow start to dig in {plowing feeling heavy on the wheel feel} Thats your Q to trim one then tow small bumps up on the trim. You will feel the hull get lighter as the bow reacts to the bumps. You will know you when you've trimmed enough because your speed will rapidly and effortlessly be 10 mph faster. Then drive. The reason i say this is because if you use the foot to find the speed you may be over trimed at 65mph and when you get moving past that buy stepping on the gas and your at 80 mph you may be over trimmed. So foot down and trim to wear you start to slow down at 60-65mph. When the hull feels heavy bump up but only enough to get on the pad you will know for sure trust this feeling. If your still driving straight then great just maybe only one more bump at the most. Stay there as long as you can because thats it!! As you get great at just getting there to that 75-80 and holding it there with your foot to the floor. When your comfortable after a while you then can try one or two more bumps. you just go faster then. Only go as fast as your comfortable to slow down from. So this is really key stuff!! try and wrap your head around it. Every bump the GPS should go up. Even .2 or .5 mph what ever. The point is you never want to bump the trim and not see a .1 or.3 or 3 mph gain. If you bump the trim and there is zero gain in speed then bump down one or twice and slow down then start over. Its a bad place to be. Thats why trim can be your friend or your enemy and having the foot down the whole time is your constant. The trim is your go fast mechanism not the foot!! The foot is always to the floor on a high speed run on the pad. Below 65 is only when you can play around with the foot safely. You can punch it from were ever you like bellow that but when your foot is to the floor and your looking for speed your then committing her to be trimmed correctly and a speed run is safe to do so as long as you have good water ahead. i hope this makes some sense. ill post this clip i made with a lousy camera dusct taped to my ski bar. Watch as i get on plain then turn to head down the lake. when i punch it I am to the floor. Watch my right hand bumping the trim Ill stop for a few seconds im waiting for that feeling at 65mph to trim up again so I know wear Im at. Once on the pad and doing a far clip i hold it there for a long time. The top speed has been reached for that trim. So i know that with this prop I can go faster so I bump it again once. I see speed for trim so wait for that speed to stop then bump it again. not much more speed that time. so Just accept that and keep it there. If i bump and only see .2 mph speed gain theres really no point in bumping it again. You dont want to get in the situation were a bump once and gained rpm and no speed. Thats the Dark place.;) Its a lot to take in but it will become second nature soon. i figured as you getting close to that this would be a good reminder of what Im sure Sufka as already talked about with you. You can read this over and over witch might help? Hears that clip the fist few sec the sun is in the camera but the quality gets a little better. pluss Ill get more youtube hits! haha At 59 seconds in i bump up on the pad. Then at 103 i set the hull with another bump to get into the 80,s As i slow down a reach speeds into the mid to high 80,s i bump again to get to 90. I only do one more later to set the hull up straight as it was leaning a little. I adjusted my weight i think to the left also jsut to fly straighter. Notice my hands on the wheel how little they are moving. i lift my right hand to look like I was adjusting my face shield but i was actually just showing off with one hand. haha

Last edited:

flying07

Your going to get it real soon Russ. One day just before you leave the lake your going to say one more time. Then you will get a real glimpse of the steering feel. You'll say thats it thats it i got it. Then you can hardly wait till the next time that next time out you will have it just like that. You never get worse only better. You will see its so easy all of a sudden youll wonder what took you so long. Its that way for for most of us. theres the odd duck that just for what ever reason learned it in a day. Those the same guys that can spin a basketball on any finger and never played basketball and can do front flips of the cliff for the first time to a perfect dive without any practice and could smoke a bag of weed and get straight A,s in high school! We all know one or two of them. :rolleyes: But they are the exception to the rule. Its quite an accomplishment really! Most super high performance boaters that race off shore will tell you that if you can drive an Allison you can drive any high performance boat out there. The principals are the same. Just like Sufka could hop in your boat not his and do it. Its kinda cool to know that not any one can just hop in your boat and drive it better than you. Thats like that saying I drive an Allison because I can. hehe

To take this one step further imagine the vision Darris Allison has when designing these hulls. They are all designed to run 100 mph with the least amount of HP. But he knows it will take a practice driver skill to do so. Thats kinda wild when ya think about it. He designs boats that no one can drive in essence.o_O You go the dealer theres a two hulls sitting there. An other bass boat and an Allison both with 225,s. The new driver jumps in the other bassboat takes it down the lake drives to 70mph oh ya nice!! then goes back takes out the XB2003 with a 225 on the back accelerates to 70 like the other boat and its all squirly and feels like hes going to crash slows down drives slow back to the dealer. This ones defective or setups wrong or something ill buy the other one. :D then the next week hes motoring down the lake at 70 and a blur at almost 100mph passes him like he was standing still it was the Allison he test drove. He thinks they must have fixed it. ;)

Take your GS to work and go for an hour after work one night? Ever second trying it will get you one step closer. Your GS looks really sweet and sounds awesome!!

Oh darn one more thing. The speed is dictated buy your trim not your foot is why I said what I did on the FB post. Sooo your GPS and trim are your friend or your enemy. Not to worried about rpm at this stage in the game. With your foot to the floor only have enough trim to reach 60 mph. At that speed if you have just enough trim you will not go any faster but you will feel the bow start to dig in {plowing feeling heavy on the wheel feel} Thats your Q to trim one then tow small bumps up on the trim. You will feel the hull get lighter as the bow reacts to the bumps. You will know you when you've trimmed enough because your speed will rapidly and effortlessly be 10 mph faster. Then drive. The reason i say this is because if you use the foot to find the speed you may be over trimed at 65mph and when you get moving past that buy stepping on the gas and your at 80 mph you may be over trimmed. So foot down and trim to wear you start to slow down at 60-65mph. When the hull feels heavy bump up but only enough to get on the pad you will know for sure trust this feeling. If your still driving straight then great just maybe only one more bump at the most. Stay there as long as you can because thats it!! As you get great at just getting there to that 75-80 and holding it there with your foot to the floor. When your comfortable after a while you then can try one or two more bumps. you just go faster then. Only go as fast as your comfortable to slow down from. So this is really key stuff!! try and wrap your head around it. Every bump the GPS should go up. Even .2 or .5 mph what ever. The point is you never want to bump the trim and not see a .1 or.3 or 3 mph gain. If you bump the trim and there is zero gain in speed then bump down one or twice and slow down then start over. Its a bad place to be. Thats why trim can be your friend or your enemy and having the foot down the whole time is your constant. The trim is your go fast mechanism not the foot!! The foot is always to the floor on a high speed run on the pad. Below 65 is only when you can play around with the foot safely. You can punch it from were ever you like bellow that but when your foot is to the floor and your looking for speed your then committing her to be trimmed correctly and a speed run is safe to do so as long as you have good water ahead. i hope this makes some sense. ill post this clip i made with a lousy camera dusct taped to my ski bar. Watch as i get on plain then turn to head down the lake. when i punch it I am to the floor. Watch my right hand bumping the trim Ill stop for a few seconds im waiting for that feeling at 65mph to trim up again so I know wear Im at. Once on the pad and doing a far clip i hold it there for a long time. The top speed has been reached for that trim. So i know that with this prop I can go faster so I bump it again once. I see speed for trim so wait for that speed to stop then bump it again. not much more speed that time. so Just accept that and keep it there. If i bump and only see .2 mph speed gain theres really no point in bumping it again. You dont want to get in the situation were a bump once and gained rpm and no speed. Thats the Dark place.;) Its a lot to take in but it will become second nature soon. i figured as you getting close to that this would be a good reminder of what Im sure Sufka as already talked about with you. You can read this over and over witch might help? Hears that clip the fist few sec the sun is in the camera but the quality gets a little better. pluss Ill get more youtube hits! haha At 59 seconds in i bump up on the pad. Then at 103 i set the hull with another bump to get into the 80,s As i slow down a reach speeds into the mid to high 80,s i bump again to get to 90. I only do one more later to set the hull up straight as it was leaning a little. I adjusted my weight i think to the left also jsut to fly straighter. Notice my hands on the wheel how little they are moving. i lift my right hand to look like I was adjusting my face shield but i was actually just showing off with one hand. haha
That's awesome whipper, already read it twice, will many more times ! thanks, i'll keep you and everyone posted how it goes! !!

Lotus 50

I think I'll try Whipper's approach. I'll still cruise around in the 70's at part throttle and enough trim to free up the hull. It seems wasteful to cruise with the brakes on. But for a high speed run, I will try to max the throttle first and then try trim. I was afraid of bow steer from being tucked in before, and hooking that way.

whipper

I would say because its never happened to me before literately 1000,s of runs that you would not hook this way ever. Its coming off speed or over trimming going up were ya hook. Thats why i said that bit about if the rpm goes up on a bump but the speed did not the slightest point of a mph part. Thats the one bump to many not good thing area. When drag racers hook its because there trim is very fast as there acceleration is equally as fast. They mash the foot down then manually or automatic trim to a pre set or seat of pants witch ever way they roll to the trim location. If the trim goes a little past were they needed it were rpm goes up and speed doesn't or the lift is greater because the driver forgot eat his ritualistic cheese burger just before the race that time they have a good chance of hooking as this means for what ever reason the prop is above the water and theres not enough forward propulsion to maintain the attitude for the given speed and the bow drops and round ya go. :eek: Motor hight ect... There is some degree of leeway but not much. More leeway in our boats setups over a 300++hp 10500 rpm 600lb Allison. Ive trimmed to that point many times and not hooked. But it sure gets your attention knowing whats going to happen if I dont back off right away or give it another bump!! Its even scetchy just bumping down from there. I usually will slow right back and speed back up from 65 to be safe. This time knowing were that speed was were the prop lost bite and stay a couple mph down from that point to be safe. Thats how I test new props. Very slowly make it with trim to that point were there isnt anything left for mph. Write down the fuel load, gearcase hight, tempatures outside, water,temps and top speed. Then i try another gearcase hight and see if the speed is faster or slower to that same point again. every prop has this done. so I know if i put X prop on and the water and air is close to the same temps i can get within a mph or so of the last speed i reached with the same setup with that prop. No guessing. Temps effect speed and there are other variables but it give you a bench mark to shoot for any way. Then I practice and see how fast I can get to that speed knowing were it is now. it seems to be pretty good. In that clip I new what speed to shoot for and kept trying until i did as I have many times before. I wear a helmet when Im buy my self or theres no other boats on the lake when stringing her out. if i hook and hit my head there is no one to save me. i need to do what I need to do to stay concious and figure a helmet might help?:D

Everything i wrote is what I learned from guys on hear! Everything. When i learned to drive it was from Brian Harden in South carolina were I spent a week with him and his dad and brother mark hanging out at his Allison dealership and teaching me to drive her on Lake Murry. Much like when Sufka and you went out i brought a video camera and he showed me how to speed up and slow down. I was washing the decals pretty bad i must have scared the crap out of him!! haha. Great experience and SC hospitality!! Loved SC nicest people i have ever met! i always had lots of Questions. All the guys on hear are always willing to help so its like a pay it forward. Gary Finch , James Overall, Chad,Bill, Todd B chewed his hear off a few times, Gene the dancing machine came for a visit on his way threw to Alaska years ago. Just a great bunch of boaters all went the extra mile any time i had a problem . Its made me a better boater over all and have deep appreciation for Allison's because they are truly a special boat.

Last edited:

flying07

I would say because its never happened to me before literately 1000,s of runs that you would not hook this way ever. Its coming off speed or over trimming going up were ya hook. Thats why i said that bit about if the rpm goes up on a bump but the speed did not the slightest point of a mph part. Thats the one bump to many not good thing area. When drag racers hook its because there trim is very fast as there acceleration is equally as fast. They mash the foot down then manually or automatic trim to a pre set or seat of pants witch ever way they roll to the trim location. If the trim goes a little past were they needed it were rpm goes up and speed doesn't or the lift is greater because the driver forgot eat his ritualistic cheese burger just before the race that time they have a good chance of hooking as this means for what ever reason the prop is above the water and theres not enough forward propulsion to maintain the attitude for the given speed and the bow drops and round ya go. :eek: Motor hight ect... There is some degree of leeway but not much. More leeway in our boats setups over a 300++hp 10500 rpm 600lb Allison. Ive trimmed to that point many times and not hooked. But it sure gets your attention knowing whats going to happen if I dont back off right away or give it another bump!! Its even scetchy just bumping down from there. I usually will slow right back and speed back up from 65 to be safe. This time knowing were that speed was were the prop lost bite and stay a couple mph down from that point to be safe. Thats how I test new props. Very slowly make it with trim to that point were there isnt anything left for mph. Write down the fuel load, gearcase hight, tempatures outside, water,temps and top speed. Then i try another gearcase hight and see if the speed is faster or slower to that same point again. every prop has this done. so I know if i put X prop on and the water and air is close to the same temps i can get within a mph or so of the last speed i reached with the same setup with that prop. No guessing. Temps effect speed and there are other variables but it give you a bench mark to shoot for any way. Then I practice and see how fast I can get to that speed knowing were it is now. it seems to be pretty good. In that clip I new what speed to shoot for and kept trying until i did as I have many times before. I wear a helmet when Im buy my self or theres no other boats on the lake when stringing her out. if i hook and hit my head there is no one to save me. i need to do what I need to do to stay concious and figure a helmet might help?:D

Everything i wrote is what I learned from guys on hear! Everything. When i learned to drive it was from Brian Harden in South carolina were I spent a week with him and his dad and brother mark hanging out at his Allison dealership and teaching me to drive her on Lake Murry. Much like when Sufka and you went out i brought a video camera and he showed me how to speed up and slow down. I was washing the decals pretty bad i must have scared the crap out of him!! haha. Great experience and SC hospitality!! Loved SC nicest people i have ever met! i always had lots of Questions. All the guys on hear are always willing to help so its like a pay it forward. Gary Finch , James Overall, Chad,Bill, Todd B chewed his hear off a few times, Gene the dancing machine came for a visit on his way threw to Alaska years ago. Just a great bunch of boaters all went the extra mile any time i had a problem . Its made me a better boater over all and have deep appreciation for Allison's because they are truly a special boat.
Great advice as always, thanks!!!

flying07

Update time: MN weather hates me. It's true. Got a quick lil spin with an out of town friend who was up, so didn't really push it or try to 'learn'. . . this 3 day weekend coming up better be good, this continual MN rain and wind can get out of here!! I'll keep everyone posted and my lifejacket on and kill switch attached as I learn to drive!!

whipper

Dam I hate when that happens. I was going out the other day and big thunder head started throwing it down wind got nasty and hail!! i thought best to not go. :rolleyes: Are you very far from the nearest lake?

flying07

Dam I hate when that happens. I was going out the other day and big thunder head started throwing it down wind got nasty and hail!! i thought best to not go. :rolleyes: Are you very far from the nearest lake?
I'm about 15 miles from a lake with a nice 2 mile run, and about 45 minutes from a lake even larger. If it would quit blowing and raining out here!

flying07

Follow up: more rain here. Had a great night Friday, darn wake boats ruined a good lake! This weekend I should be out with Big Sufka, if all else fails, I'll take his twin powered talon and he can drive lil ally. . . . or maybe i'll learn to drive my own boat. . . haha. . . a thought! new video soon I hope! (with less walking this time)

whipper

Follow up: more rain here. Had a great night Friday, darn wake boats ruined a good lake! This weekend I should be out with Big Sufka, if all else fails, I'll take his twin powered talon and he can drive lil ally. . . . or maybe i'll learn to drive my own boat. . . haha. . . a thought! new video soon I hope! (with less walking this time)
Wake boats have a way of doing that!! its getting to be that time were early mornings are the only good running or late at night. That happens every were I guess. Its amazing to me how they are allowed on any lake. You would think the shore line would matter like it used to but there seems to be no regard for that any more. What ever happen to watch your wake. haha