Russ "62mph" P.

whipper

I would put 15 more lbs of counter in. I was watching the back corner when you were finding the pad and just as you climbed up she listed to your side. As time goes on you can take some away but it helps to get over the first time until your more comfortable. I was going threw my log book and noticed I had 20 more when I got it. As the motor hight goes up down the road you will experiment with how little you can get away with. Hence I was so obsessed with that I turned my seat base side ways to sit more centered to min counter. :rolleyes:

flying07

I would put 15 more lbs of counter in. I was watching the back corner when you were finding the pad and just as you climbed up she listed to your side. As time goes on you can take some away but it helps to get over the first time until your more comfortable. I was going threw my log book and noticed I had 20 more when I got it. As the motor hight goes up down the road you will experiment with how little you can get away with. Hence I was so obsessed with that I turned my seat base side ways to sit more centered to min counter. :rolleyes:
Thanks! i actually was thinking that as well, have the second weight bag ready, i'll try 15, i was unsure how much! now to just get some nice weather and a day without all those darn wakeboats!

mikesufka

Find somebody with a 24 pitch prop will make it easy on you...
Jeff - that would be way too easy. Old Slow Russ wants to listen to everybody and nobody at the same time. Hence, he's happy at 62 mph. LOL.

racerx

I think he needs to up grade to my bassboat its going 4sale soon ...

racerx

just put Sufkas wallet on the passenger seat it will balance you out just fine...

whipper

Playing with the Gopro today i just posted these clips. On a couple you can see the hands. Mine was flying straight but theres more hand movment than i thought? i never really noticed before. I only have one set of solid mounts is probably why? Any way. It seems i bump it to the left more then the right all the time after watching it.

Jon

Supporting Member
Pssst.... you have fishing rods in your GS.

Your GS looks super easy to left correct when running. How many pounds of pressure would you say it takes to correct the wheel to the left when running at 55mph vs WOT in your GS?

280hunter

Playing with the Gopro today i just posted these clips. On a couple you can see the hands. Mine was flying straight but theres more hand movment than i thought? i never really noticed before. I only have one set of solid mounts is probably why? Any way. It seems i bump it to the left more then the right all the time after watching it.
Great Videos whipper, those should be helpful to any new Allison owner out there.... Thanks!!

whipper

Pssst.... you have fishing rods in your GS.

Your GS looks super easy to left correct when running. How many pounds of pressure would you say it takes to correct the wheel to the left when running at 55mph vs WOT in your GS?
Not sure about 55 needing any corection off the pad but at 65 and up its probably the same. Just a little, couple pounds maybe. Its just a little tap tap im just tapping it to the left very light steering holding on with finger tips realy. Im running 6900 to 7000 rpm pretty much the whole time in all the clips except were I noticeably back off. 86-90 mph was were I trimmed to. In the first clip im over 70 at 22sec and the second one at 17 sec im over 70. When Im nearing that time on the clip it looks like im shaking her up on the pad and big trim at the same time?haha The tachs visible on the right Im turning a 28 drag3 quite high, I think even at least with the pad might be over i forget were the marks are I better check it tomorrow.. The trophy is night and day over the drag3 for corrections. The 25 trophy is was straighter running at 1/4 below way less wheel movment. There was little gusts of wind now and then but nothing to bad they would blow me over and i would have to correct. Steering is very light.
In the rear facing view there was a wake boat that came down the lake so I was hunting for no roller water. I had to back off at first as i came across some small side ways rollers. Then I found good water again at the end of the lake were he hadn't been. Dam wake boats !! I left shortly after that last one he was running up and down the small lake right in the middle!!

I hope this might help someone. I floor it right of the bat and then just trim to achieve what ever speed I want after that above 75. 80 comes real quick then its more finess after that with the 1996 225pm. Im at 2300ft above sea level going on 10 years since rebuild also some how?? I honestly never thought there was so much wheel movement ever at all!! Its like little knee jerk reactions to keep her straight. When I first played it back i was wow it sure doesn't feel like im doing anything it just feels natural. i guess because the steering is sooooo easy like a Cadillac.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon

ScottB

Thank you for posting those great videos. For us new drivers, this will help a lot. Unfortunately, I cannot get out on the water this weekend or next, but I will soon!!!!!

flying07

Had the GS out last night. Calm day, no traffic, gorgeous! Had my best series of runs by far! speeds may only show 71 and 72, but 'felt' much better. Though slowing down, well, that's a work in progress! Gotta love a good chine walk! best 'flat' run came at night end just screwing around, ran up to 71, slowed down flat, just more time and i'll hopefully get there! More gas to be burned this weekend!!

Attachments

whipper

It sure helps when its calm. Wind gust because your on such a small area will bump you around a little also. On a calm day with wind gusts best to go into or with the wind.

Jon you had me thinking. If your counter steering at 55 your over trimmed before you get on the pad at 60+. Pretty sure anything 60 and below is like driving 40-50 just regular driving. Does anyone else seem to be steering that much on the pad? I think it was the camera angle and high gearcase hight along with a big wheel. I have those sticky gopro mounts in those spots now. Ill have to compare steering visually with the 25 trophy next time out. I found my notes and that bar on the gage were i was running is 1 inch above the pad :rolleyes: Its a good thing I wasnt going for it because thats way to high. There was a point on one run were the hull lifted super high almost to the point I couldnt see over the bow at 85mph and hit 90 right now. That was when I knew something wasn't quite right and backed off. The steering was almost non existent but felt really really cool. Ill have to explore that further as I was gaining speed fast. Not without a Helmut on though. My motor is on the very last hole on the jack and I had the trim gage one bar from the top. But because it didnt seem to be a problem other harder to ballance i just left it there. My motor is kinda different. I have so many holes drilled in the cowl when I reach 85 or so it has like a super charged effect. it takes off because the air flow must be compressing in the cowl at a larger volume. You can hear and feel it when it happens. Anyway fun day experimenting until I didnt trust the water any more from that wake boat!!:mad: Hears a pic of how high I have my motor bolted on. I like it for trailering. I can have the motor down and still lots of clearance with a 20inch mid. Lowest it goes is 1/2 inch below though and highest is almost 2 inches above or so.

Jon

Supporting Member
Sorry, I may have made that a little confusing. I guess what I meant is just the force to turn left. My boat always wants to turn right at any speed except WOT - it's pretty stable/even at WOT.

ScottB

Even with hydraulic steering, my boat is harder to turn left at speed. I guess this is still torque from the engine, but slight 'adjustments' on the wheel to the left take some muscle. Is this normal?

whipper

It all depends on the power to the prop,trim, engine hight . Some times its harder yes and other times not so much for what ever reason. Scott i wouldn't sweat it its normal. The amount of trim engine hight ect will made the steering feel different. For the most part smooth.

Jon the props rotation to the right is always trying to turn the arse end to the left making the correction to the left at the helm makes the stern go right or stay put hopefully. :eek: If your running a large diameter and pitch prop real high with to much trim the stern will {crab} walk and its hard to control the back end. The up force of the prop has slightly more bite than the down force entering the water. You would think that the right rotation would go right but thats not the case when surfacing. There's less aerated water on the up stroke for better bite. Ummm i think? :D