Slow ss2000 comp

St

Thank you all for the support!

-The pad is all original with the lip still there (stock -00 ss2000 comp)

-I have an Allison jackplate with 8" setback

-Motor is a -05 Mercury 2,5 EFI 280 completely stock with consumer ECU (CON) (I have checked all serial numbers etc and it is a merc 280 hp)

-Mid and gearcase is from a -05 drag (completly stock sportsmaster gear case with ratio 1.87)

-In the video I'm running my brand new stock 30" lightning et. 6800-6900 rpm at 97-98 mph

-I have run a 27" tempest plus. 6800 rpm at 88-89 mph

Have not done a measure of exact engine height yet, but think I wount have to.
John4utvols is describing exactly what Im experiencing with my boat. Very slow out of the hole (Especially when using the big hub tempest) and then stops pulling around 90. (I'm really pushing it to make it pass 95). Whats intersting is that I know one coil was changed last year by previous owner (indication of that this has been a problem before). I will check the sparks today.

Sometimes when running with idle speed and i'm only give a litle tad of gas it feels like it will drown and shut down for a short moment before I give some more. John4utvols: Is this something you experienced as well with the failing coil.

I know set up is important on this type of boat, but just as many of you have said I dont think I should have such a problem to reach 100 mph with this setup.

john4utvols

I was at the 05 Allison rally when my coil went out. The boat went from jumping out of the hole to barely planing over on take off, but once I got on the pad it would run but I lost 10-15 mph. We checked everything and finally figured out one of the coils went out. If I remember correct I think it would try to die idling.

St

This is the best day of my life. Checked spark and found there was no spark on no. 5 which is the coil that was changed last year. The best part is that there is nothing wrong with anythig but the litle contact conected to the coil. Me and my father fixed it and took only 5 minutes. Fact is I have reached 98 mph on 5 with one hanging. Seems my setup is pretty good after all.

When the wind stops I will test the rig for real for the first time. Will let you know when I hit the limiter at 110-113 mph ;) ;)

Thank you all for the support! You are the best!

john4utvols

Glad you found your problem..... Be careful the ss is easy to drive around 100 be careful trying to get the most out of it. My old ss excell would run 107 with a 30et and a stock 280. It was always easier to drive and seemed to be just as fast or faster on top end with someone riding behind me.

St

Thansk john4utvols! I will keep that in mind and be careful.

BigRedAlli

Might need to change #5 plug too. Good chance its fouled from excess fuel. Glad you found your problem. I never get that lucky...lol

badbait

Wow, what a nice surprise. Way to go John for helping this man out. Now the next step is for him to be able to run the top end and be safe.

This is just my 2 cents but it's my opinion that .090 of lip is to much for 112 mph on your comp SS. About 8 years ago I bought a White SS Comp from Glenn Reynolds Marine. After running it a few times I had a conversation with Glenn on setup and I told him how pleased I was with the way the boat handled and how easy it was to drive. He said I'll take that as a complement since I personally worked the bottom of that boat. He said the guy that owned it before me had a 300 Drag on it and turned it around a couple of times. When I got off the phone I went out to my shop and started looking for what was changed. He had taken the lip down. You have to remember that these boats were designed to be the most efficient hulls on the water with a maximun HP rating of 150 HP. You have almost double the HP on that boat and the lip wasn't designed for that much HP. So if your running much above the pad it's possible for the lip to lift the back end enough for the prop to loose bite and the front end will drop and around you will come in real hurry. So there are a few things you need to know about your boat before testing the top end. You need to know where the propshaft is in relation to the bottom of the boat(start at even to 1/4" above) and you need to know when your motor is perpendicular to the bottom so that you don't over trim and lift the prop out of the water. I personally would not try to run much over 105 mph with a full .090 lip. That's when they start to become evil in my opinion.

This is my experience on the subject and I'm sure there are some that don't agree. But I would rather you be safe than sorry.

catfish123

Amen...........my experience has shown me that the same logic holds true on the XB2003.

catfish123

Hey there.................if it wouldn't have been for you and your advice.......:LMAO:well, let's not go there :laughing:laughing:laughing

K.Kiser

Glen often took the lip down to .030" or less with higher HP, but I don't know if he ever took one down flat..

St

Thanks once again everyone!

I will take it really careful when testing the boat for the first time with 280 hp. (haven't had time to test yet since I fixed the spark-issue)

I will lower the engine before i hit the water and wount do anything reckless. I have too much to live for ;) =) =).

Still think the hull must be amazing when it comes to efficiency regarding I was able to reach as much as 98 on five cylinders with one hanging. Great boat!

SLOmofo

Zoom ! Zoom !

When you run it, listen to the note at the same rpms you were running before. Like said by earlier posters it will of course feel different but sound crisper.
A dead hole just sounds flat.

Zip it and Clip it

ziemer

Sounds like you found the motor issue! It will be night and day firing on all 6.

It would still be a good idea to measure the pops haft height. That way you have a reference point and can adjust up or down as needed. If you can't get it on a level surface at least put you a string line on it and that will at least let you know if you're a 1/4 above or 1/4 below.

Good luck with it! Those SS 2000's are bad a$$.

Last edited:

badbait

The lip on the boat that I bought from Glenn had the lip taken down to .055. I recently help with the setup of a XB2003/300XS and the owner loves the way it handles. He runs 105 mph by himself and 103 with his wife sitting up front with him. My personal XB 2003/250XS runs 102 mph. I put the 3 liter on there 7 years ago and spent the best part of a year testing and changing things until I was satisfied that I had the combination that really worked quite well.

St

Finally the wind stoped here in my parents summerhouse and got to test the boat for real. Before testing we checked engine height as good as we could. It was 1/2 inch above lip on pad. We lowered to 2/8 (probably a little lower).

WHAT A RIDE! touched the hot foot once and reached 105 in a few seconds and the boat was far far away from stop pulling. Felt like it wouldnt stop until 120, it was insane. (in a good way)

Right now Im very happy! :) Thank you!

St

As you said, much more crisp in the sound Love it!

When it comes to handling I honestly think the boat leans more to the left now after lowering the engine. Am I comparing apples and oranges regarding i never ran this engine height on 5 cylinders? I guess im putting more horsepower to the water now at the same speeds as I ran before and this could be the reason for more leaning to the left. Should I lower the engine a little bit more?

Bobalouie

If it is leaning left, give it another bump up in trim. If it is leaning right, give it a bump down.