Slow ss2000 comp

john4utvols

I have an Ss comp with a 280 and a 28 et. You should run over 100 easy. But something with the motor doesnt sound right, even if your an 1" below or above the pad you should hit the rev limiter with that 27, i would think. Now the 30 will be a little harder to hit the limiter, but with a comp it should have no problem. What box is on the motor a con or ros. What lower unit are you running. I would also do a compression check. Once the motor checks out good I would start raising the motor 1/8 each time out and see what happens. If you go to high it will fall over on the left side at wot. All my Ss that I have owned were easier to drive and seemed to run faster with someone in the back seat.

john4utvols

I also noticed you said you were disappointed in the acceleration. I had a coil go out one year and the boat would plain over slowly and then take off and run about 90 with a 28. Check your spark on each cylinder.

catfish123

I would just like to add that with most Allison boats, if it "falls over on the left side at wot", you may regret having raised the motor that high.......above all, stay safe.

john4utvols

Yes be safe raising your motor always wear your safety gear, but the boat will let you know if you raised the motor way to high and it will let you know if the motor is way to low.

XXXR2001

Doesn't appear that setup is your problem. The boat looks pretty good to me.

It's hard to tell from the video but the motor doesn't sound quite right. It could be that it's lugging that 30" prop but just doesn't sound crisp like it should. Like John4utvols said, you should hit the rev limiter easily with the 27" prop and probably the 30" too.

RBT

Doesn't appear that setup is your problem. The boat looks pretty good to me.

It's hard to tell from the video but the motor doesn't sound quite right. It could be that it's lugging that 30" prop but just doesn't sound crisp like it should. Like John4utvols said, you should hit the rev limiter easily with the 27" prop and probably the 30" too.
I agree, the motor sounds soft. Doesn't have the pop or crackle a healthy motor should have.
Look there the rest looks fine.

SSTOM

I have an Ss comp with a 280 and a 28 et. You should run over 100 easy. But something with the motor doesnt sound right, even if your an 1" below or above the pad you should hit the rev limiter with that 27, i would think. Now the 30 will be a little harder to hit the limiter, but with a comp it should have no problem. What box is on the motor a con or ros. What lower unit are you running. I would also do a compression check. Once the motor checks out good I would start raising the motor 1/8 each time out and see what happens. If you go to high it will fall over on the left side at wot. All my Ss that I have owned were easier to drive and seemed to run faster with someone in the back seat.
If the motor is too high it will lean to the right to low and it will lean to the left. At least on my SS it does. Even with a 28 and a 7750 rev limit you should be over 100.

john4utvols

Yep Tom mine falls to the left, when it is to high and right when it is to low. Now if I over trim it will prop walk to the right.

catfish123

I may be misreading something but it appears to me that SSTOM and john4utvols are saying just the opposite with regard to the bow leaning to the left and right with differing engine heights? I'm confused by it anyway.

suicidealli

Most ally's lean to the left when the motor is to high, and will hook left when to high.
Set up right they will lean to the right just before the big hook to the right.
Not enough trim they lean to the left. To much trim you get the lean to the right.

Roy

SSTOM

Most ally's lean to the left when the motor is to high, and will hook left when to high.
Set up right they will lean to the right just before the big hook to the right.
Not enough trim they lean to the left. To much trim you get the lean to the right.

Roy
WRONG! If the motor is to high it will lean right thus causing the hook to the right. I have hooked my SS several times always went right never left. Ever Allison I have driven if it hooks it goes right I'm not saying it can't go left but my experience has always been left. I have been driving Allisons for 22 yrs and if it's to low it will lean left and right when to high. Tom

catfish123

So if they are set up right, they will lean to the right just before the big hook to the right and you are ejected??? Must have had mine set up really well a few weeks ago. I get the trim part.

catfish123

CHEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder after only 13 years at this that I don't know what I'm doing.

suicidealli

I have went left 3 times when the the jack plate was to high!!!!!!!! So they will go left when the motor is to high fact!!!!!!!

John has done the samething when his motor was to high...

Roy

john4utvols

Me and Tom have always disagreeded with this.
I have always looked measured the prop hieght, but if I'm at the river and somebody that has an Allison there and asks me to drive and check the speed. If i feel the motor is to low and it has more the way I check the hieght is by raising the motor in small 1/8" until it falls over to the left then i will lower it back down 1/8.
When I bought my SS. Roy and I put on my motor and I argued the motor was close he said it was to high, so when I took it out it ran fine up to 80 and I wasn't having to trim much at all but when I gave it gas it would lean to the left, so I had to drop the motor a hole, and I was still a little to high then too. Now I'm a 1/2" below the pad and will raise it up until she falls over to the left.

Last edited:

SSTOM

I'm not getting into a pissing match on this guys thread. Yes his motor sounds flat. But also John the boat will lean left when you gas it because of the toqure of the motor. Later

michael j giesler

motor sounds like it's not running as strong as it should if you can try running a different prop like a yammi 26 or a copy 26 or 28 and see if it changes i have run my ss comp from 1/2 below the pad to 3/4 above and speed wise not much different top end if you still have problem i might be able to send you a prop to try

badbait

What RPM are you turning with the 30 ET. I owned a SS Comp and It loved the 30 ET. If you can get ahold of another prop say a 24 or 25 just to see where the motor revs to. This may rule out the ECU being switched out. Seems to me the difference is speed up to 98 is only due to the difference in pitch between the 27 and the 30 is it still turning the same RPM.