Slow ss2000 comp

K.Kiser

If you've still got the trophy prop on there, you're giving up a lot of performance also... When you get the right prop, engine height, set-up, etc. it will feel like a real muscle machine...

badbait

To get the big numbers out of you SS side to side balance takes some getting used to. Starting out I'm assuming you have the boat pretty well balanced. Your boat may want to lean a little to the left while accelerating even at nuetral trim and when it stops pulling and the speed levels off it will come over to the right hopefully stopping at a level position. Having a 20 lb. bag of shot or sand in the boat that you can move around will help. After you get up on the top end and assuming your trim is dead nuts if you find that your boat wants to lean to the right at the top end, move the weight over and give it another try again assuming your motor is at nuetral trim.

One thing I have done with the last 4 or 5 Allisons I've setup is to use a template that I made and I bring the center of the lip down flat still leaving .035 or more lip in the center and more on the sides. To me it seems like the sides are able to push up more and the boat doesn't roll to the side as easily. My XB2003/250XS was the first one I did this on and in my opinion it made the boat very easy to drive on the top end. The second boat I did this to was a SS 2000 Excel/200XS. On that boat I brought the setback in from 14 to 6
took the lip down from .090 to .050 on the sides and flattened the center to .034 which brought back the bow lift that we lost by bringing the motor in to 6" off the transom. The boat had previously never been over 92mph. The first day of the Allison rally on the west coast I took the boat out raised the motor to 1" above and slapped on a 32 Hoss and went out and ran a 99. The best part was the holeshot difference and it was much easier to drive on the top end. I am not trying to change anybodys mind on how to set these boats up just saying what has worked for me.

As most of you know you can run the motor higher with less lip. My best topend numbers with my XB2003 are when the motor is 1 3/8" above the bottom and I have never done a bat turn.