Surprise

ziemer

2fast4mom said:
Since the bolts have not been reported as ever breaking, maybe leaving them at 1/2" is OK. Looks like I'm going to have to get Darris on the phone about all of this.
I've broken 2 of the four original 1/2" bolts on mine. One was sheared completely, flush with the outside of the transom and the other was bent pretty good and started to split also flush with the outside of the transom. With that, there was NO resulting transom damage, inside or out. :wink:

jbf 2002

Wow,

you fella's are top notch. i wonder how you decide who is gonna' pivot while you all are in a circle?

a-man, i wonder where you get all the info?

prell, man you just know it all, just the facts.

maybe gilmore should discuss the outcome of his old gs?

fyi i got to see that bundle of pm's that is flying around about randy & gpi.........wow!

j.f.

Yellowallison

Gotta agree there......something just doesn't sit right with the subject line and tone of the original post. If my boat fell apart and my friend died, I'd be writing the longest freakin' post in the history of this board and you can bet your arse the subject line wouldn't be SUPRISE. And I wouldn't wait several years to bring it up. Something about this whole topic just seems fishy.
DING DING DING!!! ((GotMyAlly)) is today's SURPRISE winner for seeing this post had no intend of being INFORMATION but CHIT STIRING by the AVON CLOSET BOYZZ..

JR

Lou,
I would do the outside piece [plate] of aluminum to spread the concentration of weight [at the edge of the brackets] off of the gel coat. The outside plate would also tie [together] the bolt assembly so there could be no sliding [shear] motion of the assembly on the transom that would lever the bolts around and weaken the welds securing the sleeves. Any sliding [shear] movement would be spread among all of the bolts equally.
My transom has been rock solid since the up grade and has not loosened up after all of the Bat Turns [which must put some force on the transom, since my shoulder suffers].
JR

B

BP

GotMyAlly said:
CDave said:
The title of this thread, Suprise, is an odd title for a thread in which a friend died in your boat with you driving.
Gotta agree there......something just doesn't sit right with the subject line and tone of the original post. If my boat fell apart and my friend died, I'd be writing the longest freakin' post in the history of this board and you can bet your arse the subject line wouldn't be SUPRISE. And I wouldn't wait several years to bring it up. Something about this whole topic just seems fishy.
Thank you CDave and GMA for summing it up nicely.

S

Scott Gilmore

GotMyAlly said:
CDave said:
The title of this thread, Suprise, is an odd title for a thread in which a friend died in your boat with you driving.
Guys, I talked with Darin for about an hour the other night & he's FOR REAL. What he described was what happened to my boat exactly. Plus he has a ton of pictures & video showing the damage. All I really care about is that whoever has an XS2003 that Allison says falls within the years of the recall MAKE SURE it's been updated !!! I hope with over 4000 hits on this thread it gets the word out there. Thanks for the sticky here & on the other boards Kevin. I feel better now & think I'll have a beer. Scott :D

ziemer

I'd like to see the photos.

There seems to be a lot of confusion of what exactly fails.

whipper

pics

Lets see the vid & pics. How ironic that they are not posted already If they exist. If it was me Id be see for your self and post em.

props4u2

As Scott G. posted, Darin speaks the truth except the fact that he had a 225 pm not a 200 & was also jumping waves.

Lou and all others,
If you have 1/2" course thread bolts holding your jack plate they should be replaced with atleast 1/2" fine thread bolts which are 20% stronger than the course thread bolts, also add an alum plate inside under the top 2 bolts to make sure they can't pull through. This can be installed by setting blocks of wood under the skeg and sliding the gas tank forward enough to remove the old bolts & install the new bolts and plate, The ideal precaution is to pull the engine & plate off, drill the holes out and install 9/16" bolts along with the alum. plate inside.

Lee

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Lee,

So all the holes SHOULD be drilled out to 9/16"?

And the factory kit is apparently a 1/4" thick stainless bar for inside the hull for the top bolts only, and a large aluminum plate for the outside of the transom?

What's this about an aluminum plate inside?

Thanks

Lou

props4u2

Lou,
I believe the stainless bar is thinner than 1/4" but it's been 8 or 9 years since I've seen one. Call Bill and have him send you a complete kit, I would think there would be no charge.

Lee

JR

Lou,
describe the complete kit to me when you get it.
Thanks,
JR

JR

Thanks, ya'll. I just want to make sure mine has all the parts and pieces that are needed.
JR

Yellowallison

JR!!

Once yu get that transom kit installed yu oughtta try for 360' double bat turn!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JR

Scott,
There has been a couple of times with enough passengers in the boat, where it would stand up [vertical] on the nose and do more than a 360 [like about a 480]. When it goes around that many times, it really fills up with water and requires a lot of bilge pumping before doing another one.
I have to be very careful about doing it in shallow water, or else I could tear the nose off on the bottom.
JR

Myron

Just got my parts from Bill @ Allison. A stainless steel plate 2" X 18" , 2 9/16 bolts, nuts and washers. The plate goes on the inside of the transom with the bolts going thru the plate and transom.

JR

Mron,
I guess they either dropped using the outside plate, or mine [transom exterior gel coat] was bad enough by the time of my "upgrade" that the plate was necessary.
Thanks for the info.
JR