Surprise

B

BP

jbf 2002 said:
john,

quit stirin' the pot.

j.f.
Nice first post, your no slouch in the stirring department either.

jbf 2002 said:
I heard that scott gilmore's boat was fixed at the factory and resold to the public, as was the boat named in this thread...........also done by the same people. hmmmmmmmm.
You "heard" from who?
I also"heard" GPI was a reputable business...see why it's not wise to speculate or post without fact?
Whats your point anyway, what should have been done with them?

jbf 2002 said:
Closet?

What do you mean by that?

j.f.
Oh I see, now you are going to play the innocent. you learned well from your mentor.

jbf 2002 said:
bp,

i don't like you calling me a liar

j.f.
Ahhh should be no big thing, you GPI crooks don't have much of a conscience and are probably used to the accusation.
Regardless, I didn't call you a liar, just indicated that two out of three of you had different, conflicting stories and someone was wrong(or flatout lying).

Oh Yeah, welcome to the Allison board and don't forget to fill out your owners profile...oops that right, you don't have one anymore, well thanks for contributing just the same :lol:

B

BP

FlatOutAlly said:
ALLISONMAN said:
JBF GET BACK IN GPI'S CLOSET!!!!!
WHAT THE F!!CK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH GPI? Get your head out of your a$$.
Yours is so far up Randys you can see his tonsils.

:D have a great day Cliffy!!! :D

B

BP

Well Cliffy,
In a way you are correct, this post has nothing to do with GPI.He was introduced into this thread by others and I have seen fit to jump in and introduce facts as I know them.
Someone has to provide an ethical balance when the GPI "sock puppets" speak!

The matter was posted in a suspect and controversial form (but sadly true).
Just a suggestion but maybe the sticky on this matter should read:

"ATTENTION Allison Grandsport owners!"
Call Bill at Allison ASAP in regards to a possible engine mount/bolt upgrade that certain production# Grandsports may require.
Do not use your boat until you speak with Bill about the upgrade.
Please mention this issue to other Grandsport owners you may encounter.
As always, boat responsibly, secure your engine cut-off teather and make sure you and your occupants wear PDF's.

XSive

jbf 2002 said:
I heard that scott gilmore's boat was fixed at the factory and resold to the public, as was the boat named in this thread...........also done by the same people. hmmmmmmmm.
So do you have any factual information to back this up? If you do then share it, If not perhaps this comment belongs in the rumors section or even better keep it to yourself. HHHHMMMMMMM???????

As well I think Dark Allison's post is great and shows a similar situation and how these things are not that uncommon, but can be unfortunate. That is why we should always check what we can and always wear life jackets and a tether. You may not be able to prevent the incident, but there are things you can do to minimize the severity of the outcome.

K

Kevin from FL

Come on guys, stop the insults and stick with the facts that you know about this.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
My, this is a lively thread. I haven't seen such action since you guys abandoned me on hotboat.com and fed me to the car motor boys. Oh well, it's not like I didn't deserve it.

Transoms, GPI, Brokeback Bolts, Great Danes and a quart of Valvoline.

I checked my 95 GSE. No upgrade. No discernable transom damage or deformation, either. When I get the kit, I will pull the motor and take some pictures.

BTW this boat was run in the Gulf of Mexico and I don't think it has a lightweight service history. The problem may be confined to a very narrow "window" of time. But..better safe than sorry.

I don't think I'm going to install the 1/8" outside transom plate on this thing. Can't imagine what good it would do, given the geometry of the Detwiler jackplate.

Yellowallison

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What I find AMAZING bout this 9 page POST is how some of that YALL aint figured out YET who DARIN is ????

All it takes is lil commom sense and IP scans!!!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

XSive

2fast4mom said:
My, this is a lively thread. I haven't seen such action since you guys abandoned me on hotboat.com and fed me to the car motor boys. Oh well, it's not like I didn't deserve it.

Transoms, GPI, Brokeback Bolts, Great Danes and a quart of Valvoline.

I checked my 95 GSE. No upgrade. No discernable transom damage or deformation, either. When I get the kit, I will pull the motor and take some pictures.

BTW this boat was run in the Gulf of Mexico and I don't think it has a lightweight service history. The problem may be confined to a very narrow "window" of time. But..better safe than sorry.

I don't think I'm going to install the 1/8" outside transom plate on this thing. Can't imagine what good it would do, given the geometry of the Detwiler jackplate.
For all the bellyaching you did about the parts guy who didn't "twig" into your boat needing the update when you ordered a gastank, I can't believe that you would do half the update??? Why bother with any of it then? :?

J

John Richied

I just want to know if anyone is going to bring up GPI again… It really seems to set some of these guys off... LOL :p :p :p :p :p :p

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
For all the bellyaching you did about the parts guy who didn't "twig" into your boat needing the update when you ordered a gastank, I can't believe that you would do half the update??? Why bother with any of it then?
Because the problem originated inside the hull, and the surface of the jackplate where it connects to the transom is the same footprint as the additional piece of aluminum.

My thought is that the aluminum plate was simply meant to cover up damage, if you read the service bulletin. Maybe not. You've got a point and I suppose the added 1/8" setback won't hurt.

XSive

2fast4mom said:
For all the bellyaching you did about the parts guy who didn't "twig" into your boat needing the update when you ordered a gastank, I can't believe that you would do half the update??? Why bother with any of it then?
Because the problem originated inside the hull, and the surface of the jackplate where it connects to the transom is the same footprint as the additional piece of aluminum.

My thought is that the aluminum plate was simply meant to cover up damage, if you read the service bulletin. Maybe not. You've got a point and I suppose the added 1/8" setback won't hurt.
I've thought about it and I'm no pretendgeneer, I mean engineer, but I think it may have something to do with pressure distribution and taking the sharp edges of the lower part of the jackplate off the gel coat so it can't wear away if there is a slight movement. Kinda like replacing a chisel edge with a flat surface.

I'm propbaly wrong but thats what I came up with.... Looks nice too.

props4u2

I only remember hearing about one transom problem which was Scott Gilmores, as I recall the problem started when Allison changed over to the 9/16 top bolts, the OD of the sleeves remained the same while the ID hole was larger, this created a sleeve that was sharp enough to cut through the outer layers of glass between the jack plate & the sleeves. Allison didn't start using 9/16 bolts until '96 or '97 so there were no problems prior to these years. The 1/2 bolts should be fine with a std. 9" jack plate with a 2.5 or smaller engine, I would talk to Bill & have him verify this with Darris to be sure.
Sheet metal in the transom? I don't think so, maybe 1/2" titanium, but I don't believe Darris would ever think about going light weight in this instance. Not sure why but the GrandSport was the only boat that had the bulletin.

Lee

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hmmm Lee, now you've got me wondering. Bill said I should drill out the 1/2" upper holes to 9/16" diameter to accept the new bolts. Since the bolts have not been reported as ever breaking, maybe leaving them at 1/2" is OK. Looks like I'm going to have to get Darris on the phone about all of this.

props4u2

Lou,
I just e-mailed Darris to make sure I remembered this correctly, I'll post as soon as I hear from him.

Lee

GotMyAlly

CDave said:
The title of this thread, Suprise, is an odd title for a thread in which a friend died in your boat with you driving.
Gotta agree there......something just doesn't sit right with the subject line and tone of the original post. If my boat fell apart and my friend died, I'd be writing the longest freakin' post in the history of this board and you can bet your arse the subject line wouldn't be SUPRISE. And I wouldn't wait several years to bring it up. Something about this whole topic just seems fishy.

ALLISONMAN

cliff you also need to be in the closet with jbf, gpi and the rest of the avon crew!!!! grow a spine and get your own opion instead of what randy has told you!!!!!

thanks lee for getting some info and also checking to make sure evrything is correct!! i was gonna talk to darris and nancy about this,this weekend in wetumpka but i suggest anyone with a older grandsport call the factory and find out if thier boat is one involved in the recall!!! forget all this crap you hear about all these transom damages and resale of busted boats!! yes gilmores boat busted darrins maybe??? the resale thing who knows but i bet if allison fixed or replace the transom it was repaired top notch and would have been resold unless darris felt like it was safe!!! After all darris as always been on the safe side for everyone and thats the reason for the recommended hp on all of our boats!!!

so come on gpi boys and cut me down i sit here waiting for you!!!