The Sack O Cats is dead

R

Redding XB21

sounds like I need to bring LOTS of depends!:big grin:big grin

I wonder how it will go with a 135lb. driver?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Richied

sounds like I need to bring LOTS of depends!:big grin:big grin

I wonder how it will go with a 135lb. driver?
Probably around and around until it stops.:laughing

Gene did you figure out what day you are leaving the rally for your pre-fish tournament?

GFinch

Prefishing is for wannabees. Show up, find the fish and catch um! What I think it is, is Donny's going to beat him this year and he's afraid to be shown up! :wink

When we got our first Champion it was delivered at Isabella Lake. We brought our tackle and put it in the boat in the dark, launched it, idled out when our number was called and fished a team tournament. First time I drove a fiber glass boat, first time I had to deal with a trim switch and 175 HP. :gasp

badbait

I'm bringing a 21' boat to the rally to give Donny and Gene a little competition. I have no idea if I will be able to stay with them but I will keep them honest for sure.

Bill

J

John Richied

I'm bringing a 21' boat to the rally to give Donny and Gene a little competition. I have no idea if I will be able to stay with them but I will keep them honest for sure.

Bill
So your saying you are going to keep both Donny and Gene “honest” honestly, I don’t think anyone could do that. :razz
But go ahead and try… Like Gary is pointing out, they are fishermen. :beer:

poorboy

Uh O! Whats going on here.
OK...I'll bite. What is going on here? Please elaborate.

I've been watching this for some time and honestly am looking forward to seeing how this things gonna run so please hurry and finish whatever you're doing and start running the boat and posting some results. I'm curious as to how the refreshed bottom is going to act as well as how the boat will like the hp. Good luck.

GFinch

I'm in the process of mounting the throttle bodies to those two plates. It's so when you need to pull the throttle bodies you don't have to go through the process of readjusting all the linkage. Found one of the reeds chipped so while I'm changing it I put the plates on.

I'm just taking small steps in driving the boat since the change to the bottom and the new power. So far so good. Put a 29 SRX on it and cruised around the lake in the mid 90s when conditions would allow. Squeezed it a couple of times for an instant and saw 99 and 100.5 . Got to get it back together so I can go the the WAR10 hopefully.

Attachments

poorboy

How's the boat driving so far with the freshened bottom? It ran in the 90's before right? Is it lifting differently than previously? What is the lip height currently at? I'm about to go over my 02's bottom just as you have done and am curious as to what you've felt the differences are vs. the rounded off lip/no lip scenario you previously had. I've got a similar history to yours with the lip on mine.
Good luck,
David

badbait

David, Gary's boat came to him with a lip that somone had worked and it was evil handling. I think it turned around on him 3 times. After seeing what I did to mine with a motor that wieghs about the same as Gary's he decided he would take the lip off and start over putting it back a little at a time. Remember the 2003 bottom was tuned by Darris to be very effient with low HP. That lip pops the back of the boat up and helps it to run very good with only 150 hp using approx 14" of setback. You really can't compare Gary's setup with any 2003 running a 2.5 liter motor and your 2002 is a completely different animal altogether.
With the extra weight of the 3.3 OMC (500 plus lbs) you can't run 14" of setback so when you start coming in close to the transom you will lose bow lift but the boat will handle better if you bring it in and the hole shot will be much better. To get the bow lift back you can take down the lip a little at a time testing as you go. Or like Gary did take it all off and put it back a little at a time. In my opinion the 2002 and 2003 run very well the way they come from the factory. It's when you try to add more power than they were designed to run that you start running into some handleing problems. That's when you try to make some changes to correct the problems you've caused.
These are just the opinions of an older guy like Gary that doesn't know when to leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

GFinch

David, Bill, otherwise known as StinkBait is right about everything he said except including me in the OLD category with him and Gene. I'm not 60 yet! I got 9 days to go!
I have a 7"-8"convertible setback plate. It's at 8" now.
Before I took the lip off completely and filled in the edges and corners of the pad and made the vertical back edge of the pad straight and parallel, the boat didn't like me and the feeling was mutual. I lost 5mph but as I incrementally raised the engine I regained 6mph then blew up the last engine. It is now a pleasure to drive cruising above 95 with, so far no ill handling.
If the pad hadn't been butchered before I got it I probably wouldn't have touched it.
Hopefully Bill and the others that come to the WAR10 will help me with the setup.
I would suggest that you get with someone who knows whats correct if you can before doing anything rash like I did.

badbait

Gary, with the setback that your running I would think your having to run a little bit of negative trim when cruising a 90 to 95. Have you been able to check that closely. One way to tell in my 2003 is the nose starts to raise up for an instant when letting off the gas at those speed. A small amount of negative trim will help in lifting the pad up a little, kind of like what the lip does.
Have you tried it at 7 and just like 8 better? Let me know for sure if your bringing your 2003 to the rally. I was going to bring a few props for you to try. How is that 29 out of the hole? Whats gears are in your LU.

GFinch

Bill, unless it blows up it'll be there. 29 is very good out of the hole. 1.86. It was awhile back withe the other engine that I had it at 7". I'm going to have to start all over with the setup because of the it's lipless condition. Props to try are good. I have 3 from Dave, one is an expermintal 4 blade he thinks will be good on the boat.
He's going to try to come over this weekend. I picked up his pyro setup and am putting the sensors back in the ports on all the cylinders. Going to clean up the mid range.