What to do?

DOUBLE J

I have a Grandsport with a 280 Short shaft and a JC coned lower unit. I leaned a cylinder out (not bad but still will need a sleeve and re-chrome). So I'm on the fence on what to do. My options are:
1. talked with Diamond Marine about rebuild. Diamond can push up the hp envelope by about 30 hp with their magic and still keep the alternator etc. Diamond does the break-in procedure and then dyno's it prior to shipping back so it should be good for 100-150 hours. I've talked to a couple of people that has done this and they are very happy with the results.
2. purchase a new 150 pro x four stroke and put a cone on the lower unit (part out the 280 to recoop some $'s). Will I be happy with this lower amount of hp?
3. purchase a used 300XS (I own one that I bought new since 2008 and not a big fan of this motor). Been thru 12 coils, 3 fuel diaphragms, a compressor, wiring on the trim pump motor so far and has had a history of breaking down a lot.
4. go to a 200 pro stock set up (Dave D's intake, hotter heads, porting etc) and mount it on my 15" mid. Still only going to be around 240-250 hp.
5. purchase a new 300R (part out the 280 to recoop some $'s) Problem with this is the weight. They are weighing 565 #'s dressed out. There is a aftermarket cowl coming out which knocks down 22 #'s off though.
So what to do? I have some time to decide due to funding issue so I thought I would get other opinions. I'm real happy with the 280 performance and handling with the 15" mid and hate to go back to a 20" mid set up. I like to run high speeds for long period of time so top end is important to me. I just can't decide which way to go. So I'm looking for other owners opinions on this situation.

gmorgan

In the right hands that 200 ported could be over 300.

dubmoney

Coincidentally, I just faced your dilemma. I opted to have Jay Smith rebuild mine. Turned out it needed new Crank, and the cost to resleeve and nick was about 1800 to 2200. I ended up spending extra money on all the Jay Smith goodies. I am happy with the motor, it looks awesome sounds awesome, Burns a ton of gas and oil. After all that I and I have found that the would agree with Mr. Morgan. Dave Drifort is getting some big numbers out of his pro-max set ups. I have been thinking I could have had a new 300xs with warranty for the amount I have spent on my 2.5, or I could have saved the money to go the xB21 with 300R

Jr in Jax

I would suggest either a new 300XS or the new 300 V8 four stroke. The 4 stroke has been pushing some huge numbers on heavy bass boats. My 300xs has been bullet-proof and made my rig much more fun than the 2.5.

xb03

250r v8 would be pretty cool and still run over 100mph, and its a good bit cheaper than the 300r. But, I keep hearing they are a little heavier than mercury has started fully rigged out.

DOUBLE J

I'm all over the fence on this. Some days I want to rebuild the 280 cause I hate to mess with the balance of the boat not having a 15" mid if I go a different way. But on the other hand I think it would be fun to play with the 300R and see what I can get out of it especially since a aftermarket cowl is getting close to reality ( I think the cowl will net the weight down to 540 which is closer to a 300xs weight with the 3 gallon oil reservoir full). Now if they only come up with a 15 or 16" mid for it. I also like the fact that I can go many seasons(hours) with the 300R and have a three year warranty. The 150 cylinder 4 stroke weighs in around 460 which is better weight wise and price but I believe I'll be disappointed in the performance coming from a 280. So I don't know.....

DOUBLE J

Nice looking motor. I was wondering what the hp was and the top end #'s you are getting on it. I would imagine I can use my mid and just switch out the tuner? I'm all over the place on which way to go.

mxzx

Wavetowave website has begun an article where they have put a new, bone stock 150 Merc 4t on a Grandsport. Base numbers were 72mph. Future articles they will be adding lwp and solid mounts then going on to ECU upgrades and more. Will be real interesting to see how it all turns out!

DOUBLE J

Since I have time to think about which way to go I come up with another idea. I was researching and realized the consumer Mercury 225 4 stroke comes in the V6. The Mercury Racing 225 is a V8. The consumer 225 V6 4 stroke weighs in @ 475. Thinking put solid mounts from the 175 pro xs in it and cone the lower unit. That way I have a new 4 stroke with a three year warranty. The cost is $14500 for 225 V6 advertised from Jaco's. I think that would be a 100 mph package. Thoughts??

dubmoney

Double J, I think you are on to something. The V8 seems to have huge amounts of torque which allows it to turn some really big props. If the V6 fourstroke has a lot more torque than the 2 stroke 225 than, it may be possible to run 100 with one. We know that a 2 stroke 225 with a 30P prop with 1.87 gears, turning 7K will just barely do 100, down stream with the wind to your back. LOL. So maybe the new 4 stroke will turn a 32P with 1.75 gears? Am I correct about the new torque master tallest gear is 1.75?

dubmoney

I would bet dollars to donuts someone will figure out a flash or ECU upgrade for the new 4 stroke mercury in the next 12 to 18 months. The new v6 platform has got to have 250 to 300 potential.

xb03

Since I have time to think about which way to go I come up with another idea. I was researching and realized the consumer Mercury 225 4 stroke comes in the V6. The Mercury Racing 225 is a V8. The consumer 225 V6 4 stroke weighs in @ 475. Thinking put solid mounts from the 175 pro xs in it and cone the lower unit. That way I have a new 4 stroke with a three year warranty. The cost is $14500 for 225 V6 advertised from Jaco's. I think that would be a 100 mph package. Thoughts??
Yes John, I would much rather have the v6 over the v8 on our 20’ boats. That would be a awesome setup.

DOUBLE J

Jarod
I was doing the weight things and this is what I come up with:
1. Dropped the battery weight 20#'s by going with a Odyessy 925 (already done that)
2. Go from a Hydraulic, static set back and 1" wedge which is currently on boat and go with a 12" manual bracket (talking with STR about one of their lightweight models). This should be a 45# weight drop
3. Take out ski bar set up (did this over the weekend) and it was a 18# drop
Total weight drop is 83#'s.
So a 280 SS is around 400#'s with fuel pump and trim pump (375#'s motor and 25#'s fuel pump, trim pump and lines). So theoretically if Darris wants you to have no more than 440 # on rear plus all this other heavy weighted items on the boat which I removed or swapped out I could put a 523# motor on it and it would be equivalent. Hell the 300R is weighing in @ 565 wet and swap out the cowling for a lightweight one which is in the making (estimate a 18# saving) and I'm @ 547#'s. I'm only off 24#'s from his max recommendation.
Money wise the 300R is around $22K. The 225 4 stroke is $14500K, than I have approx. $500-$750 in motor mount and install and approx. $500-$750 lower unit work. So I end up with on the high side with approx. $16k in this set up. So for $6k more I gain 75 hp and a sportmaster lower unit. So I just don't know... All of this is up in the air till I see what Santa brings in bonuses this year and what I can get away with spending without the wife complaining...lol.

gmorgan

Jarod
I was doing the weight things and this is what I come up with:
1. Dropped the battery weight 20#'s by going with a Odyessy 925 (already done that)
2. Go from a Hydraulic, static set back and 1" wedge which is currently on boat and go with a 12" manual bracket (talking with STR about one of their lightweight models). This should be a 45# weight drop
3. Take out ski bar set up (did this over the weekend) and it was a 18# drop
Total weight drop is 83#'s.
So a 280 SS is around 400#'s with fuel pump and trim pump (375#'s motor and 25#'s fuel pump, trim pump and lines). So theoretically if Darris wants you to have no more than 440 # on rear plus all this other heavy weighted items on the boat which I removed or swapped out I could put a 523# motor on it and it would be equivalent. Hell the 300R is weighing in @ 565 wet and swap out the cowling for a lightweight one which is in the making (estimate a 18# saving) and I'm @ 547#'s. I'm only off 24#'s from his max recommendation.
Money wise the 300R is around $22K. The 225 4 stroke is $14500K, than I have approx. $500-$750 in motor mount and install and approx. $500-$750 lower unit work. So I end up with on the high side with approx. $16k in this set up. So for $6k more I gain 75 hp and a sportmaster lower unit. So I just don't know... All of this is up in the air till I see what Santa brings in bonuses this year and what I can get away with spending without the wife complaining...lol.
Weight isnt the only consideration. COGravity is an issue also.