Who's running 150-175hp on their 2003's?

hirk

hey mxzx what about a 150 supermag? I have a good one for sale (someone has 1st dibs on it though) with a nice worked 1.87 case lwp. its good on gas and pulls hard midrange. im 10 minutes from you if you wanna check it out

Last edited:

mxzx

hey mxzx what about a 150 supermag? I have a good one for sale (someone has 1st dibs on it though) with a nice worked 1.87 case lwp. its good on gas and pulls hard midrange. im 10 minutes from you if you wanna check it out
No thanks, already have a 225 Promax that runs good. Will eventually be looking for something a lot newer.

bassracr

How many guys are running 150-175hp direct injection motors on their XB/XS2003's. Either Etec 150HO, Merc 175Proxs or Yamaha 175HPDI. How do they run? Do these smaller DI motors have good low end torque? Any other opinions?
I would consider strongly putting money aside to refresh your ProMax ,the difference in price to buy one of these new motors and taking into consideration the fuel savings if you put a pencil to it ,I'm guessing it will take you a lifetime of boating to pay for the differance in what You would gain in fuel savings and the expense of repowering Whether you're comparing new or old engine technology it's still a 50 to 75 hp deficit minimum to what you have now and that is a HUGE performance change in a boat like You have . I made a similar change about 13 years ago and put a 150 on my boat I thought it would be fun to run 80 with a 150 ..bottom line I hated it .I had the new motor off within just a few months . The first time a common looking 23 foot open bow slowly passed me ,I was done with that motor

hirk

ok mxzx I knew your running a 225pm but since your running a gs I thought you might like the gas savings, this sips gas compared to the 225pm. Im switching to a 225pm myself but I just fish so im not running the hours you would so i can live with the gas bill.Roy i have only ran this twice on my 2003 but it sure impressed me as well,spun up over 6k with a 24 chopper in seconds flat from a slow cruise.

mxzx

My promax was rebuilt in the spring. Will probably keep ot and have been thinking of adding a brucato acu to wake it up a bit. Plus it looks like the brucato acu really helps with gas mileage while cruising.

John Tiger

would like to a cone on my lower unit but not at the cost of voiding a 5 year warranty. Could definately run it higher and get a bigger prop.

hey I got an idea...:)...XB03fs do you finance one of the 2 lowers with cones that you have?
Why not buy an SEI gearcase and have someone cone it, then run that? You'd have less than $1500 in it, and you could then pop the stock unit on if you had to bring it in for service.

bassracr

My promax was rebuilt in the spring. Will probably keep ot and have been thinking of adding a brucato acu to wake it up a bit. Plus it looks like the brucato acu really helps with gas mileage while cruising.
what you have now with a well tuned motor/pcu ,a 30 pitch prop... 3000 to 4000 rpm cruising should be pretty thrifty on fuel ,easy on the motor and the wallet. put a 26 pitch prop for the occassional acceleration jones. i cant imagine most allison owners being very well satisfied dropping 50 to 75 hp to save some fuel and test out some new technology. i know i wasn't

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have they fixed the problelms with the compressers blowing up in the newer opti's? I had a 225 Pro XS on a different boat a few years ago and it was an awesome engine.

hirk

i got 5mph at cruise with my 225 and acu, dont know that you wil see a performance gain but if you have pyros or atleast check your plugs you can lean it up a bit and save some juice. with the acu/225 fuel mapping you will want to set the main -4 to-6ish for around here or it will be too rich,at +5 i couldnt turn more than 5600 it flooded like a soft limiter.

suicidealli

With some work and a ACU with the software you can get get good mpg. My 2002 with a 280 with 30 cc heads and drag elec and a lean fuel curve I got 4.5 on the jasper rive run.. We had the live well full of beer, and 3 guys in the boat adding up to 725+ lbs. We cruised from 60-85mph. 1.75 gears and a 26.5p drag 4. Just takes time to create a good curve. Tony curves are better than mercs, but still are very conservative.

Roy