XB-2003 Skidplate

Bob Ant

I finally put it on today . Will report on performance tomorrow. After looking at pix, I guess I should have cleaned it first.

Bob Ant

NO, it does not come with the braket. You have to design it yourself. The braket is made with a marine grade aluminun(5052) 3/16 inch thick--called for by Darris. That is why it took me so long to mount it, Bought it at the Jasper drags from Bill at the Allison booth.

ally2dextreme

that is the best adaptation i have seen yet you will love it. it is critical to have it on the same plane as the hull a half inch or so from the boat. great job!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Great job, Bob! It looks just about exactly the same as the one done by Darris himself on my 03. Since my motor is still apart, let me know what you think when you run her!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
John, Darris checked the pad over, removed that monster setback bracket and changed it out to a new-style Allison one, hand-fabricated brackets for the new skid planer which is said to reduce holeshot to 1/3 of what it was, installed the skid planer, and fixed some burgundy gel-coat areas that were damaged when I didn't even ask him to. That's the kind of service you get at the factory when Darris and Todd are on the job.

Darris was hands-on with the set-up based on his years of testing so it will be interesting to see how she performs. It's not going to be a drag boat but I am hoping she is quicker out of the hole.

And that part is also helped by a heapin helpin of East Tennessee horsepower on the Ruck-ported, Reynolds-built 280.

I was thinking as I towed the boat down topside road....it ain't many Allisons that return to the place of their birth down the same road they left. Think about it...that 03 went all the way to your hometown when it was new, then down here and all the way back to Tennessee and back again. :beer:

catfish123

Is there a reason that this "plate" couldn't somehow be designed into the actual hull of the boat? I've always just really had a tough time with the way it looks and it also appears you would have to be a whole lot more flexible than I am to put in the boat plug. I'm sure it works well, but it looks like an after-thought.

chad202

It also looks like it would inhibit the water leaving the pad from coming up as high?

ally2dextreme

u cant realy build it into the hull the water has to flow around it. if it was made to the boat it would actually create a vacume and hurt holeshot

catfish123

I guess if drag racing is a priority, that plate makes sense. For me, on my XB2003, the holeshot is more than acceptable, especially if the only alternative to improve it would be bolting on one of those things. I already have the Allison foil and that did make a BIG difference in the holeshot by helping to plane off without the nose going so high in the air.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Is there a reason that this "plate" couldn't somehow be designed into the actual hull of the boat?
Yes. As it was explained to me by Darris (I brought up the same question), the planer needs to be offset rearwards by a inch and a half or so. The planer does three functions, three claims on the granted patent.

One of the three is to reverse or eliminate the downward suction of the rear hull at holeshot. Just like pulling an upside-down water glass out of a bowl of water, that is what the boat has to overcome to get out on plane. That is one thing the skid planer does; it provides a pressure release.

Perhaps someone can find a link to the patent online and post it? I will look later today, but often those sites are not free and you cannot post links.

Bob Ant

I took the boat out today with the new skidplanner and all I can say is --I don't know why they don't come stock on the boat. It's a better boat with it on.
It comes out of the hole better, it planes water at a slower speed, and I tried on several attemps to have backwash come over the transom and no water all at. At 70 I took my foot off the gas and just let it come to a stop and no water. Did it a few times , no backwash. That was one of the main reasons I initially got interested in putting one on.

They are pricey, they are a pain to install properly, but I wish I would have done it sooner.

I followed the directions from Darris exactly. 2 3/4 to 3 inches above pad and 1 1/2 from back of pad. It allso must be parrallel to pad.

That's my 2 cents on the subject.
Bob Anthony

RedAllison

WOW Bob that looks GREAT!!! :beer: Those brackets you made look like something straight out of Louisville.

As for the "after thought" comment, well they "kinda sorta" are. Darris perfected the system with the 21 then went back and reapplied it to the to the other boats. You can't mount them into the fiberglass because the 03 doesn't have the forward extended pad of the 21s so there is nowhere to mount the plate without some brackets.

Sounds like the requirements/parameters are about the same as the 21 skidplates as well. I know my plate is about 2.75-3 inches above pad (doesn't look like it when viewed from above, but measure it and you'll see it is).

KEWL Bob, should help ya at Fork as well when weavin in and out slowly of the boating lanes and creeks down there! :gone fishing
RA

FlatOutAlly

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=06260503&homeurl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-bool.html%26r=2%26f=G%26l=50%26co1=AND%26d=PTXT%26s1=darris.INNM.%26s2=allison.INNM.%26OS=IN/darris%2BAND%2BIN/allison%26RS=IN/darris%2BAND%2BIN/allison&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page

Key commentary here is: "Air channeled to the transverse step eliminates low pressure at the step caused by flow of water past the step, which in turn enhances low speed performance by lowering the bow of the boat and reducing drag on wetted propulsion equipment and other aft boat structure. "

(Normally, only a night janitor would be able to see this......)

Last edited:

RedAllison

DAMN after readin that, it has as much or more to do with channeling air than it does simply pushing the stern up/bow down to aid holeshot. I "think" it also answers the question as to why it's so danged long/extends reward of the pad so far. It also clears the water "in" the jackplate and prevents any more from flowing up in there?

Only from the mind of...
RA