XB-2003 Skidplate

redwingally

Hey Bob,

You didn't happen to make any templates for the mounting brackets per chance did ya?

Bob Ant

I did make some out of ordinary steel before I had the aluminum ones cut. Let me check and see where they are at. Be glad to send and share. Depending on jackplate,setback ,etc. --different set-ups may need variations.

Bob a.

redwingally

I did make some out of ordinary steel before I had the aluminum ones cut. Let me check and see where they are at. Be glad to send and share. Depending on jackplate,setback ,etc. --different set-ups may need variations.

Bob a.
Thanks Bob.

Right now I have a box stock promax and 14" of setback. I have an Allison hydrofoil but don't care for it. Going to a 250xs as soon as I can find an '04 in good shape so things will change. I don't remember seeing how much set back Darris had you change yours to. Of course the 250XS will weigh more than the pro max and your 280 so that will have to be figured out and hopefully without going sideways.

Mark

Bob Ant

I have 14 inches of setback. They do have different length skidplates. Mine was the longest one they had there at the stand in Jasper. When I bought mine Bill from Allison said if it was too long I could shorten it if needed. With 14 inches of setback I can trim my motor all the way down and still have 2 inches of room before it would touch , so no problem. I am not sure how long it actually is but if I were to guess I would say 14 to 15 inches. I could measure it tomorrow.
I can't believe it but it is actually snowing in Tenn. right now, sticking to the roof and grass. Reminds of of Pa., glad I live here now. :) Should be gone by lunch tomorrow. What A storm !!

Bob A.

NCLakeman

Hi Bob,
I would like a template also. I have the standard 14 in. set back on mine also.

Thanks,
Richard

Ally03 200xs

Bob,

How did you make the 90 degree bends on your bracket? By the way, your setup looks sweet!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Just came off the lake after the first time out with the new motor and skid planer!!!!! I will reply more after I thaw out!!!!

This thing should be standard issue on all 2003's. It cuts the holeshot to 1/3 of what it was without it, and this is without a foil (running the Propeller Dynamics mod sportmaster).

The 2003 is no drag boat but I am certain it's a lot quicker than it ever was to plane. A lot more noticeable than the foil. And, NO MORE backwash on shutdown even with an SS motor at 14.5" back!!

That's it for now...Have to defrost Louis.....

Bob Ant

Make no bones about it, I did not make it. I did design it out of cardboard from a empty 12 pak of coke. I allso had the pictures of Lou's . I keep cutting and tapes pieces of cardboard together until I got it the way I wanted it. At that point I had one cut from ordinary sheet metal at the plant that I work at. When I was sure it was the right shape I took it to the local machine shop and had it made out of marine grade aluminum . They had it lazer cut and bent for me. It's not perfect because I am not sure it is 100% parrallel to the pad, but it is close. Once it gets warmer here and it stays daylight longer so I can mess with it after work, I'll level the boat and make any slight adjustments it may need.

FLYING BUTCHER

Just thought I would throw in my two cents here again, I posted this before BUT before everyone gets all excited about this plate I'll share my experience?? When I ran 14 1/2" set back with a 26 Trophy the prop hooked up and worked great. I moved the setback to 12" and the same prop would slip like heck from dead start and even some after first getting on plane. I installed the Allison plate exactly per instructions. With the 14 1/2" set back the same 26 Trophy slipped just like it did when boat was set up with 12" setback. I adjusted plate up until it touched boat same problem. Took the plate off and problem went away!! My conclusion is that this plate stops the clean flow of water to the prop!! The plate didn't do anything for me on the clock at the races BUT I am allready running a foil, a skid plate and ballons in jackplate cavity. The plate didn't seem to effect a 3 blade but (in my opinion) if it effected a 4 blade then water had to be messed up going to a 3 blade also. Every boat and set up is different and hopefully it will work for everyone who tries it BUT it didn't on my set up. Just my two cents

Bob Ant

DO you think you were experiencing more cavitation because the rear of the boat was a little higher out of the water due to the planing effect of the planer?