XB-2003 Skidplate

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
BUT I am allready running a foil, a skid plate and ballons in jackplate cavity.
Bill that might be the difference. With the added buoyancy of the beach balls, you might have had too much stern lift on account of the planer and ventilated the prop. Just a thought??

FLYING BUTCHER

the boat was set up exactly the same so it was setting in the water the same height on all testing. Just giving my experiences with it. It DID interfer with the flow of water to the prop even when it was adjusted as high as it would go. Like I said " when I removed the plate the slipping stopped".

J

John Richied

Another factor to consider is... I believe Bill Mason/Flying Butcher runs his propshaft height around

J

John Richied

So then hotprop/Jeff Calbaugh knows what time the Allison Rally is in May

FLYING BUTCHER

I have a hydraulic jack plate on my 03 I tried running the 4 blade with the Allison "skid plate" at all levels and the Trophy would still slip like heck. Again guys not knocking anything here just giveing you my experiences with the plate. It sure looked like it would work??? My thoughts when I got it was this is just extending the pad of the boat so the boat is running like the engine is sitting closer to the transom. Darris believes the plate is out of the water when the boat is on plane but I strongly disagree. I don't know of any 03 that runs the rear of the boat that high out of the water that the bottom of the new "skid plate-or pad extender is what Allison calls it" isn't running in the water?? I thought if the pad needed to be extended then why not design that in the boat itself instead of bolting on an extension?? Again, it didn't seem to effect 3 blade props but if it was causing water to flow bad enough to cause a 4 blade to slip (when it didn't without the plate) then I didn't like it running a 3 blade prop. Bottom deal is that if it didn't help my lower end (our timeing clocks at the races gives us 4 different times and mph at different feet distances for every 1/4 mile race) then why run it?? Hopefully it will work great on everyone elses set up. Just my two cents worth

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Darris believes the plate is out of the water when the boat is on plane but I strongly disagree.
Bill I am not questioning your experience with your boat in the least! But I have to strongly disagree with THAT statement above.

IF my skid planer was running in the water at speed, I would see one heck of a spray coming from the back of the boat all over the midsection and probably the cowl too on this SS motor. And, the thing would just slow me down on the big end--but neither of these have happened.

I've "only" seen 96 :relax: and change with this break-in-mode motor but if that thing was draggin-arse in the water, I don't think I'd see 90's at all. I would think that if the rear edge of the planer did hit the water when the boat was trimmed up, the force would push the nose down and result in a settle of the boat more level.

The patent for this device clearly lays claim to at least three utility aspects. It's not an "afterthought that just makes the pad longer". It's a result of a lot of research on Ft. Loudon lake for many years. It's an air-entrapment and release function too.

Just my 2 cents. The boat launches faster than it did with a 24ET and I'm running an Allison cut chopper 28, and this is with no foil, no stupid buoyancy foam or walmart beach balls in the setback cavity. Now granted, I'm at 14.5" back not 12"--not knockin ya ole friend, just reporting what I'm seeing here.

One more difference...the rear of the boat is impossible to wash at shutdown! It's just weird.

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

Your experience is most likely right but I think it is because you aren't running the extra floatation or engine foil. The plate would make the boat behave like the engine was sitting closer to the transom therefore it would come out of the hole quicker but when running the other stuff to get the boat out quicker it didn't make any difference on the clock running the extension. I think?? the reason you don't see any spray coming off the plate is that it just acts like an extension of the boat pad. The spray that was coming off the bottom of your boat is now just coming off the bottom of the extension. The highest you can mount these plates is about 2 3/4" above the very bottom of the rear of the boat. I beleive that the bottom of any 2003 model Allison just can not run with the the very back bottom of the boat 2 3/4" ABOVE the water. Yea they may get airborn once in awhile but as far as being on "pad" and handling right they have to be sitting in the water futher down than that. In my experience, I have run my engine as high as it would go and have blown it out running TO high, BUT I still believe the back bottom of the boat had to be sitting in the water deeper than 2 3/4". As far as having any expertise I'm not an expert in ANY way!! When I installed the plate and went to the races I had to leave on the same tenth of a second to cut a good light and in the first 880' there was NO gain in speed or time?? Hey just giving my thoughts, if you like it and you feel like it works then it is a good deal for ya.

Last edited:

JR

Lou,
are you saying I would not dunk my 15" mid with a fast shutdown with the skid planer? If so it might be well worth a try. Was it designed for the Grandsport's '03 hull too?

What was the cost? How hard are the brackets to template? I have a robotic CNC hi-def plasma cutter at my office that will cut 1/2" aluminum and 1/2" stainless. I would just have to have a template for the brackets drawn in CAD and downloaded to the machine along with the "alloy number".
JR

TN XB-21

Lou,

Next time out attach a video cam to the stern and settle this "discussion" with the evidence.:relax:

That would be better than your son laying down watching it at 90 plus:smile! Besides, no one would believe the results!

Your boat is flying!! Can't wait to hear the top end after break in and one in the boat!!!:beer:

Have fun!!

SLOmofo

Lou,
are you saying I would not dunk my 15" mid with a fast shutdown with the skid planer? If so it might be well worth a try. Was it designed for the Grandsport's '03 hull too?

What was the cost? How hard are the brackets to template? I have a robotic CNC hi-def plasma cutter at my office that will cut 1/2" aluminum and 1/2" stainless. I would just have to have a template for the brackets drawn in CAD and downloaded to the machine along with the "alloy number".
JR
Not an experts opinion! Butt I wonder about the out come of bat turns and the skid plate.
I do know when I had a fin on the Sports Master and the plate I made, in one trip to a summer rough lake, both of the pieces were bent and the cavation plate cracked. This was just going over large wakes in one days time.

Be Safe

JR

Not an experts opinion! Butt I wonder about the out come of bat turns and the skid plate.
I do know when I had a fin on the Sports Master and the plate I made, in one trip to a summer rough lake, both of the pieces were bent and the cavation plate cracked. This was just going over large wakes in one days time.

Be Safe
You definitely have a good point. I don't think that the beginning of my type of bat-turn would be a problem, since the nose of the boat is buried in the water and the prop is way, way up in the air. The problem might be when the stern falls back into the water, it might bend the plate/brackets even though my Allison plate is still intact after many dozens of them.

The end of my bat-turn days is getting closer due to the wear/tear on my shoulder from the G force. I am not as young as I used to be.
JR

SLOmofo

The end of my bat-turn days is getting closer due to the wear/tear on my shoulder from the G force. I am not as young as I used to be.
JR
Considering the only option to growing older, I'll choose growing older, at least for a while....:wink

You'll always be Da KING of Bat Turns!

:big grin Long live the KING! :big grin

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
JR I do believe it will work great on your GS too. At Jasper a lot of the guys with the newer 01's were running them too.

The cost was under $200 for the planer and Darris does make several different sizes specifically for different model boats.

You are right in that he DOESN'T at least yet, make the side brackets because of all the variations of jackplates that are out there. I'd think you'd need a metal brake to do the 90's on the brackets. Any good metal shop could handle it. The directions call for "5052 aluminum at least 1/4" thick" I think is what it said? I was lucky enough to have my boat return to its "birthplace" and Darris made mine himself, from scratch. They fit the contours of the boat stern just like BobAnt's pictures.

My boat used to get a WAVE over the back on shutdown--Now, it's like some giant is holding up the back of the boat while it slows down. The deck just doesn't get wet, and this is with no flotation and no foil.

I'll take Dennis' advice and do some forced shutdowns while my son rolls the video.

JR

Lou,
I have a full fab shop with hydraulic shears and breaks. The problem is assigning someone to do it as busy as we are. We have just had our best two years ever back to back, followed by our best January ever.
I am going to test with my 4 inches of less setback [I removed the broken setback plate] and see if I like the way it handles. I'll then decide if I want to add the 4" back or add the skid planer to my current setup.
JR

Bob Ant

I finally got cardboard templates made to send out. A few guys have asked me for a pattern. PLease get me your address and I will get them out . SInce each boat set-up is a little different I would use the template as a good starting point and make changes as necessary for your own set-up.

Bob Anthony