XB2003 top speeds

chad202

I've been reading and searching and the XB2003s seem to run very well with a 200-255hp range but they don't seem to put up a big number with a 260-280. They seem to hit a wall around the 100 range? Is this from the built in hook or something else or am I incorrect all together.

RedAllison

Chad I think it's more a case of what the boat was originally designed to be, an all around lake/fishing/family boat and the biggest obstacle in making the 03 go fast is aerodynamics. The console is like pushing a barn door through the wind vs the tiny bullet of the 02. For guys with big power on 03s I've heard them say some lip removal and bottom tweaking add a little bit but it comes at the expense of load carrying that is designed into it originally. Jerry Jaco once told me that you could hang 1000hp on an 03 and would NOT run over 111-113, it would just laydown. At those speeds the console puts so much downforce on the nose it just won't allow the hull to run in the proper attitude for going any faster. Darris once made similar statements as well.

I can't imagine what a 112mph 03 would feel like!!! :shock:
RA

D

DarthVMAX

I thought the consensus was that a stock XB2003 and XS2003 (set-up for top end #'s) were both limited to around 105-107 mph and that was due to (as RA said) the pad and aerodynamics.

RB in NM

I was hoping to be able to see what my XB-03 would do back at sea level over this years Thanksgiving Holiday week, when I go back home to visit the family. I usually tow my boat home each year to play on the water there with all the Oxygen down there.

In the past my boats would typically pick up 4-7 mph down at sea level, versus the speeds I would be getting out here at 4500 foot elevations.

This past summer I ran a back to back 103.4 and 103.6 on my indash Lavorsi GPS recall digital, and a handheld too on the second run, cause the indash was challenged by some. this was with the windsheild on the boat. later in the last 2 races, I took my windsheild off and was surprised at the added lift that allowed at speed. I did not see much for speed gains tho.
Those speeds were top end runs, very light, 1/4 tank fuel, 150 psi heads,JSRE built Pro Max with all sorts of bells and whistles and trimming till I knew I was gonna get wet...

What has been said about the console is very believable, especially with the difference I saw by merely removing my windshield.

I think I could gain more speed at sea level, or hit that wall as mentioned. Either way it would be very interesting to see where that wall is at.

Russ

Myron

My o3 with a 280 with my gearcase has ran 107 with the trolling motor on the front, it did it pretty well and drove good, but I have a lot of experiance with these boats and was helped alot by Glenn Reynolds. I really don't run much for top end any more, just to dangerous, lost a friend a few years ago in a Mirage that went over at about 128. I can tell you that in order to run those speeds you need to no the feel for what is going on beneath you. Above a 100 things get a little different, just be save.

ALLISONMAN

YEP AN 03 AROUND 105 GPS GETS A REAL LOOSE FEELING!!!! I HAD MINE AT 106.8 GPS AND IT WAS TO SAY THE LEAST UNCOMFORTABLE!!! THE 02 DRIVE SO MUCH BETTER AT THOSE SPEEDS AND ARE SO MUCH EASIER TO DRIVE!!!! I REALLY BELIEVE THAT MINE WILL RUN 110 BUT I DONT KNOW IF I HAVE THE BALLS TO DRIVE IT THAT FAST!!!! NOW A 02 NO PROBLEM!!!! OH WELL MINE 2 CENTS WITH SPEEDS OVER 100!!!! OH BY THE WAY AT THE RALLY ME AND ALLISONCHICK RUN BY LINDAS A 103 ON THE GPS AND IT DROVE LIKE A DREAM BUT THAT WAS WFO!!!

J

John Richied

Someone posted one time that Darris himself won’t even take an XB-2003 over the hundred mark. Can it be done, well yeah several guys have done it. Should it be done, well yeah, we are guys and it’s a guy thing! If you’re really into top speed much past a hundred the XB-2002 just seems like the best way to FLY!

If I were going to try to make an XB-2003 fly past 103-105 I would have very little setback with the idea being less bow lift and remove the windshield that seems to give the boat more bow lift.

chad202

I'm not trying to go that fast, just wanting to know where the limits are incase I decide to run for a little over 100mph.

RB in NM

Hey Chad,
When I come back home to La over Thanksgiving holiday, I have a prop you need to run Bud! I will be bring 4-5 with me. I have a couple that will rock yer world....
I'll be over in Head of Island, near French Settlement.

Russ

aspb

top speed

I know this is an old post.i ran my 2003/280ss over the 100 mark and to be hinest,it wasn't real pretty.The boat just felt kind of loose and felt like it was gonna turn lose at any moment.My 2002 handled better at speeds,even tho it gave me a scare too. :shock: Had a few guys tell me i needed gear case work and a better prop.whatever the case,i was not in a hurry to do it again.IMO,the 2003'a are perfect around the low to mid 90 mark.

Yellowallison

a XB 2003 running over 100 ((without)) a good prop, pad ,setup and GC work does get lil crazy..

Work on the pad, prop, setup and GC and itz a different story.....

My ole Yeallr boat would run all day over 100+ and you could take your hands off the wheel..

Got a video clip of me running 103 with NO hands on the wheel coming by some freinds on a pontoon boat..... I showed the video at the rally 2-3 yrs ago..

aspb

speeds

Yellow allison,i'd like to se that video and i'm sure a lot more would too.You msut be pushing a lot of horses.103 with no hands :shock: .

Yellowallison

Yellow allison,i'd like to se that video and i'm sure a lot more would too...
----- The video was of a big HOTBOAT get togther and Radar run we did down here on the Swanee river 2 yrs ago. the whole video is bout an hour long of radr runs between 100 and 145 mph boats... we all at the rally watched the video in a conference room one night.....

You msut be pushing a lot of horses 103 with no hands
-- jus Stock 280 with a tweaked ECU and lot of time on its setup....

Same boat that in the 2005 Merc Calander for FEB!

froggy

I agree with Yellar 150%. If you do what he said, your 2003 will, take a set, and run all day above 100---assuming you have appropriate HP. Incidentally, you'll also be able to turn it at these speeds!

froggy

Blue Gray in PA

How does the XTB figure into this equation? The top looks more like an '02, the listing on the home page lumps them together with the XS2003's but the XTB has a smaller windshield area than an '03. Logic would say the hull is the key to water drag and the top is the key to air drag. I'm curious since my XTB is just starting to drop over at top end and I'm not sure if it's air drag or lack of power. I'm looking at going to 10-11 inches of setback instead of six but don't want to make the problem worse. What is the perceived top speed on an XTB and how does it compare to the '02 and the '03 for handling?

deadeye99

My xb 03 seems to lay down and require more trim above 95 or 6. I am interested in the pad work idea. It is a 96 which I guess has the larger lip. Give me some ideas yellar or Randy. Bob

aspb

ally speed

As mentioned, i hit 103 but it wasn't a good feeling in that 03.I should have had that pad work done.But seems to me if your boat is designed to run those speeds,the pad work should be done :? .A bud of mine took his ally back to the plant to have the hull blue printed,IMO that should already be done on a boat like that.

xb2003

I agree buddy....on the other hand...a boat with a 90 to 150hp rating doesn't need to be blue printed. They are protecting company I guess