XB21 Setup question.

Fishforcash

XB21 2X2/250XS 1.62 sportmaster. Hydrolic plate +Allison skid planer factory installed.

Boat has a 27 Trophy (not sure if its cut). I have a 27 Allison Cut to try.

What propshaft height to start?

What wheel would you reccomend for all around fishing/playing

No its not my boat, good friend needs some help and I have ZERO experience with the big Ally.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

Hey Ricky, I believe I met your friend Sunday at a gas station on 35 north of Perry (saw the boat and had to go introduce myself). He mentioned he is having some hole-shot issues and is taking things real slow.

Sorry, I have no experience either except I would love to have one of those big bassers.

RobShaw-BasSport

Not sure I can offer much help as I have the 2 seater XB21 and these hulls have different characteristics. But at first glance, I would use a smaller pitch prop. I have both sets of gear ratios and when Im running the 1:62, I use no larger than a 26 pitch prop with a 25 probably being my favorite for fishing. With the 1:75, a 27 pitch prop is a good starting point.

reward69

I have the same combo and I had the same issues with the Trophy. The 27 stock is a dog out of the hole. Modified is better, but still slow with this gear ratio. I went with a 27 Bravo1 XS, this was the pitch recommended by mercury. They say that the Bravo 1 XS will act like one pitch below so if you think you need a 26 go with a 27. This is what I have and couldnt be happier overall. Carries weight, great (no blow out) holeshot, handles awesome, good top end.... 83/87 depending on weight. I also ran a 25 trophy that was stock and worked ok as a fishing prop but the blow out on holeshot sucked. Once it got up and going it ran well. With either Mercury props I would stay between even and 1/2 above for longevity. These dont like to be run too high!

Hydromotive I hear also makes some great props, a little more money but not really if you start modifying Merc's.

If your into top end you need two props because I havent found one yet that fishes well and has the top end.

If your like me, I will give up two or three on top to have a prop that performs well all around. To me, this is why I like the Bravo 1 XS, this is the best stock Mercury prop I have ran, I dont see myself buying another Trophy.

When I called Hydromotive they recommended a 27 Quad IV X O/B SST.

Last edited:

RedAllison

With a 250 on the 2+2 with 1.62s he'll need a 29" wheel. I've been running a "deep 27" Hmotive OB on mine and I have the 225. The gearcase will run out of water before the hull lets go, I can raise mine until I lose water pressure and the engine goes into Guardian Mode but the hull keeps running like a sprinter! Somewhere around 1/2" below to even with pad should be in the ball park. Should easily get in the low 90s once you get the feel and dialer in.

You couldn't run either 27" Trophy (cut or uncut) up my azz with a freight train. I've run 4 Trophy's on my 21. The first one was a blue demo 26" that I bought for $150 for stump jumper duty. It doesn't have PVS, just the drilled holes. Don't know whats wrong with it but it takes work to get the thing to nose the boat over, just spins too the moon. Once it does break over it still slips like rubber shoes on a wet tile floor. Would take ALOT of cup I suppose. Gotta blue $150 doorstop if anyone is interested!

2nd Trophy I ran was a bone stock 26". Ran it 4 miles and it nearly overwound the motor. 84 and change on the gps. Was ok.

3rd Trophy (same time I ran the stock 26") we bolted an Alli cut 26" Trophy on it. The prop had nearly 50 hours on it and came off of a 2+2 with a 175 Opti on it with a stock gearcase. I thoroughly checked it before bolting it on and it was flawless, owned and ran by Dennis Kenny (TN XB21) he's meticulous with his stuff. I made a 4-5 mile run, came back and 3 of the blades were CRACKED!!! :cuss

Lastyear I had a High 5 that I'd had lyin around for years (was a ski-prop on my old XB03) and a member here wanted to trade for his stock 27" Trophy. So I traded with expectations of having that Trophy for a backup, trashwater prop. At the Alli Rally lastyear on Cherokee I bolted the Trophy on and we ran from Joes to Linda's and then back after lunch. About 3 miles from Joes I felt the boat start vibrating and knew instantly what had happened. My son was with me, a storm was blowing up and we had only been running in the 50s-60s anyway with the choppy water. I trimmed the motor up and saw a 3.5 blader smiling back at me. :same ole song

I've had a the same 27" Hydromotive Quad IV X-OB since I got the boat new in Aug/07 and despite bangin her up in Lake Fork and with an occasional grounding now and then in KY Lake during the winter, she just keeps on tickin and running like new!!! :beer:

Now when light/empty the X-OT might actually run faster on the XB21s than the X-OB. But the small barrel probably won't carry the "BPS on water" tackle and weight load that most of us tournament anglers carry come Saturday morning.
RA

The Whip

On my BasSport Pro 300XS 1.62 I bought a Bravo 1XS 29P but I should have bought the 28P for overall fishing. I am very happy with the Bravo 1XS, but then I have not tried one of Todd's.

Manny

landar

No way you can turn a 29 with a 250 xs and 1.62 gears. 27 Bravo 1 XS or maybe a 28 if you are really light or in cool weather. 26" if you run a txp, trophy, or pro et. Motor height even to 1/2" above is fine.

reward69

Found out some information reguarding the Bravo Props. I will leave the source (unamed) but they are very!!! reliable. When considering the Bravo 1 XS, I would go 1 pitch higher if your in at odd number. I found out that my 27 Bravo is actually a 26. Mercury does not make a odd number pitched Bravo, the source revealed. Mercury claims they are repitched when asked. Personally I purchased a 27 and so far like the overall fishing load carrying performance, as well as the speed and handling performance. I would have liked to have know this before hand to hopefully make a better decision in purchasing a prop. The 27 is what Mercury recommended when asked about my combination, but I might have went higher pitched knowing the actual pitch. Anyway, this is more of a (pet peeve) than anything. Though Im happy with the prop, I will be probably be calling Hydromotive for future prop needs.

So realistically a 29 is a 28, 27 is a 26 and so on.....

TBuck2003

They only have even numbers for their stern drive Bravo props. Even those if you average the pitch are about 1" lighter than most other props, unless they are labbed to different specs.The only problem I have is that a brand new prop was heated and manipulated to a different pitch before it made it to the water. But I do understand the cost involved in having every pitch... TRUST ME

TBuck

Hydrilla Gear

Heck I have heard a 28 Bravo is more like a 26. Either way I am still shocked at how small a wheel the XB21/250xs seems to run.. My guess would have been at least a worked 28/29.

I don't understand why some people turn to Mercury for advice on what prop to run on a particular hull/combo. They would probably be one of the last places I wold turn to. JMO

RedAllison

I guess some will just NEVER trust us. :banghead

The man asked what to run. I told him what my 225 (and a couple of others just like it) run with our 225/2+2s AS WELL AS what we've set up a couple of 250/2+2s. I've SEEN EM DO IT, they've done it for a couple of years now, they do it DAILY and they'll continue to do it. Hell Neals' pushing 90 with his 21 ProSport with a smallblock 225X, yet you can't get your 250s to do it??? I run a 27" OB everyday for fishing and have for over 3 seasons now. Likewise a 28" OT on a 225/2+2 will run 90+ in the summer with 2 people and a light load. Now either our 225s are simply 250s with different stickers, or there's just a few 250 owners out there that don't want to listen to us and want to try every prop BUT what has been proven to work. :confused:

Some of us learned a long time ago, if Mr. Thom or Todd tell you a flea can pull a plow then you better invest in tiny leather harnesses. "Big bassboats" and big block motors were new to MOST of the bassboat prop builders just a few short years ago. But these guys have been building props for world record offshore boats for DECADES, they understand torque and making large boats/motors go fast with alot of weight. It didn't take them long to figure it out once folks started bolting 3.0s on XB21s, Strokers, 21 Bullets etc...

Rather than say online what CAN'T happen, why don't you just bolt one on the in the water and TRY IT!!! YES a 250XS/2+2 (or a Prosport) will run 90s and fish daily with a 29" OB... (2 seaters are a DIFFERENT animal, I'm not talking about them. They behave essentially as a different hull and the #s and setup are entirely different. I'm just talking here about the 2+2 and the Prosport 21s.)

I don't give a redrats fatazz what Merk builds, bends, mods, heats and treats or anything else. They've slung more blades than the Apache tribe so I don't care what they have to say about the matter. Buy a $500 prop and go run 90+, buy a $700 prop and go run 90+. In a few trips after that $500 wheel comes apart (and hopefully doesn't take a cav-plate, skeg or God forbid imbed itself into the transom) it won't be such a deal.

Ok I'm slidin the box back under my desk, that's my .01/2c on this subject. :soap box
RA

ps
DOUBLE DITTO what HG said above!!!

catfish123

WOW Red..............if Bass and Walleye Boat Magazine ever is reborn, you could put your boat speed information in the same type articles that had become all too familiar to many of us. Just messing with you and Hydromotive props are definitely TREMENDOUS props but I would have to see any 21 foot Allison in the heat of the summer with 2 guys running 90+ mph with a 225.................Who is actually doing it?

Last edited:

robert

Red, you mentioned that 2 seaters are a different animal. Could you elaborate a little. I have one of those and presently run a Quad OB on it and am very pleased even though I have not tried top end.

Why are the two seaters a different animal. I am really curious.

Thanks,
Robert

The Whip

Hey Robert.

Which pitch Hydro are you running. I am planning a trip down to see Todd in late sept with Allyfishing (Craig). Let me know how you hole shot and mid-range pull is when loaded with fuel and water and gear.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS

biller31

No way you can turn a 29 with a 250 xs and 1.62 gears. 27 Bravo 1 XS or maybe a 28 if you are really light or in cool weather. 26" if you run a txp, trophy, or pro et. Motor height even to 1/2" above is fine.
agreed 27 Bravo 1 XS

Mad_At_M

Yep....that was me Darth. Thanks for all the feedback. probably make a call to HE and work with them for the right prop. RH.......thanks for your help.

RedAllison

and Hydromotive props are definitely TREMENDOUS props but I would have to see any 21 foot Allison in the heat of the summer with 2 guys running 90+ mph with a 225.................Who is actually doing it?
I didn't say a 2+2/225XS is gonna run 90 in summer with a 2 man fishin load. I said 2 people, light. Denver and his wife have run 90 on Lake Quacita in the summer, his boat is essentially empty of fishing equipment. The prop he runs under those situations has been the 28" Quad IV-OT.

Fill the livewell, full fuel, fishin seats, 2 bubbas, full cooler and a BPS aboard my 2+2/225XS with my bent up ol 27" X-OB will run 84-85 in July/August. NO DOUBT in my mind with a touched up prop and my Sportmaster actually having had some of Todd's "Mr. Miagi" done on it, there's an easy 2+mph left on the table.

A 2+2/250XS WILL fish at 90 with two people. If it don't somethings wrong.
RA

champ198

I'm running a 29 Hydromotive 4 blade OB on my 2+2/250ProXS w/1.75 gears. 90.2 GPS (running against current) in July on the TN river light load (fast pass). If I had 1.62 gears, I'd probably keep the same prop. No telling what my top end would be if I took off the erector set Fortrex off.