XB21 Setup question.

Allyfishing

Ben, I had the pleasure of taking a ride with Todd in Manny's Bassport Pro after he ran this prop with Manny and all I can say is WOW!! The holeshot was incredible and the midrange blistering. If Manny was concerned with holeshot and overall performance in a Tourny then he need not be concerned anymore.

We were asked not to take a pic of it (understandable) it is a full thru hub cross between an O/T and an O/B.

Todd had the QIV-O/B 28P at approx. 5/8" below pad on Manny's boat and he and I hit 90 going into the wind in rough chop. Remember, I am a newbie with these boats and these kinds of speeds so I can't say I was totally comfortable but it ran and handled great. I really liked the O/B on my boat as well with the 2.5L Promax.

Todd and I ran one of the two available prototypes on my boat the day before and I most definitely want one when it is available. Best hole shot of all props and getting to speed was the fastest. A casting flaw ended the first run so that was the only test for mine.

biller31

Sounds like fun. I'm a little leary of running prototypes after my last experience with a prototype prop. I'll have to see what comes down. Sounds like its a runner though. Always on the hunt for the next best prop in the 21 game. I've still yet to run a Hydromotive on my boat. I don't know anybody in my neighborhood that has one taht would be for running on a 21 barge and I don't buy a prop that I don't try first and even then I've found that there's no guarantee that the one you buy will run as good as the one you tried. I'm just getting too picky in my old age I guess. Say if anyone is coming to Jasper for the ODBA championships in a couple weeks and has one of these I can run, bring it with you and gimme a call. I wanna try one.

Allyfishing

When you say "21 barge" what ya talking about? You just run real heavy and use a small pitch or what?

TBuck2003

Sounds like fun. I'm a little leary of running prototypes after my last experience with a prototype prop. I'll have to see what comes down. Sounds like its a runner though. Always on the hunt for the next best prop in the 21 game. I've still yet to run a Hydromotive on my boat. I don't know anybody in my neighborhood that has one taht would be for running on a 21 barge and I don't buy a prop that I don't try first and even then I've found that there's no guarantee that the one you buy will run as good as the one you tried. I'm just getting too picky in my old age I guess. Say if anyone is coming to Jasper for the ODBA championships in a couple weeks and has one of these I can run, bring it with you and gimme a call. I wanna try one.
Biller,
Proto won't be ready for some time... That stuff is a slow process. If you want to try an X OB I will work with you. If you purchase on a card (Protection) and it does not do better than what you are running currently I will refund you 100% of your purchase price, providing it comes back the same way I shipped it. You would be responsible for shipping to and fro. I know how it is to try stuff I get it. Usually it is a 10% Re stock but I would waive that for ya... Offer stands anytime I can help.

TBuck

P.S. Props are very consistent since they are made in every pitch size FYI

biller31

Okay, I'll take that offer. Most Graciously. My post was not to implicate ANY prop manufacturer of not doing consistently good work but its just been my own personal experience with any brand or cut of prop that I've run that out of 10 of them one just seems to run a tad better on a certain boat. I don't know why. It may be that the one you discarded in the batch runs better on your friend's boat of the exact same type than the one you chose for yourself. Again I don't know why this phenomonon occurs it just does. Thats all I was trying to say.Thank you again Todd for your generous offer I will be taking you up on that as soon as I get some money together. (Had to pay for deer leases this month OUCH)

Last edited:

The Whip

Ben, I gained 5 mph with a killer hole shot and smoother top end handling. I still like my Bravo 1 XS 29p but Todd is going to fix my hole shot problem with adding pvs. The Bravo will be my back-up.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS
Hydro QIV X O/B 28p

Allyfishing

Craig... Have you compared our hulls size wise next to a 2002? LOL
WEll, since ya put it that way!! LOL!! Honestly, I never really thought of our 21's as barges since I have some friends with big Rangers etc. and ours look small compared to that. On the other hand, yes, I met with Don on the Hudson last week and next to his XB2002 it looked much bigger.

Craig :big grin

Allyfishing

Ben, I remember you telling me at the plant tour when we were talking about props that if one ever tries a prop and it works wonders on your boat have the money in your pocket and buy THAT ONE cuz a new out of box may not be the same.

Sooooo...when i ran Don's Trophy Plus up on the Hudson last week for a personal best I took the prop off and put it right in my car and wrote him out an IOU. :laughing

biller31

LOL! Dude thats hilarious. Its true though! I ran a borrowed TXP once that was a demon in the midrange on my boat. Pulled harder than anything I've bolted on before or since. Hole shot was respectable and top end was okay (about 3 mph slower than the cut trophy I set my 90+ run with before it slung a blade). But, from 30 to 75mph it'd pin you back in the seat. I foolishly gave it back thinking "I'm gonna try a few more different props to see and buy one of these if I don't find anything better". Big mistake! I have run several props of the exact same kind and cut since and have never had that same result since then. I bought one that ran the closest to it, but its still not the same. Now... the prop I have (and its for sale in the prop threads right now) might be a screamer on your particular hull and the best one of its type for your individual boat. You just don't know until you run it. THAT VERY ONE. If you get ahold of a smoking hot prop for your hull... BUY IT ON THE SPOT! I'm surprised you were able to get away with an IOU. Your buddy system credit rating must be really good. :)

Last edited:

Allyfishing

Hey, we're family right?? LOL!! He knew I was good for it.

That's what I like about TXP's They're not top end runners but they get ya there in a hurry. At least that's what I've discovered. And on my setup with the PM it gets out of the hole the best with my 325LB partner! That's important in shallow water.

RedAllison

Glad to hear the actual water tests from Manny and Craig, now they know I haven't been blowin smoke up anyones butt about Mr. Thom's and Todd's work, service and products. Simply put, they do what we say and that's the bottom line. As for the prototype, it's GOT IT ALL LICKED!!! :beer: Simply can't wait. Like Manny and Craig can vouch, that wheel is "da cats pjs"!!! :cool

Ben, get off dat wallet and DO IT son. Deer leases, schmeer leases, first things first. Yo big baby NEEDS a prop from Twinsburg.

Glad to see some "neutral/newbs" ran the stuff and came away realizing it's REAL.
RA

Allyfishing

We believe ya Red!! And Manny got to test his Bravo 1 XS against the Hydromotive O/B and the Hydro beat it all the way around.

Yes, we are most definetely newbies and neutral. I will buy that new prop when it is released.

flatout

"Super Dyna Whopper". Gives me a chub just saying it. I have a 28" and a 29" Hydromotive OB. The 28 is for tournament use and I get 88-90 depending on the temp and the chop. The 29 I can get 91-92 by myself with the wind but it kinda sucks out of the hole (especially if I have my 225 lb brother with me). I weigh 175 lb. A solo run needs all my gear stored in the left front compartment to balance things otherwise it lists a bit and gets interesting at speed. The big speeds come as I raise the motor up to just before I lose water pressure on the 1.62 sportmaster. A word of caution to anyone not familiar with high motor heights. Jack it back down before you ease off the gas!