200 motor temp?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, busted out the thermal lazer temp gun and checked out the motor temp. The side of the cylinder heads, where they bolt to the block in the center of the cylinder is 145-150. Water temp coming out of the tell, tell stream was 145-150. Temp gauge on dash read 165 give or take 5 or 10 degrees. Hard to tell not really mark good enough to tell. The thermostats are new and they are 143 degrees. Water pressure at 5 psi. All readings here are at idle. This sound right for a stock 1991 200 carbed?

Last edited:

suicidealli

Those are hard to find these days......
I think that sounds a little high for and idle.
What are the water temps down there?
Are your T stats open at an idle???
What are your temps cruising????

Roy

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
What are your temps cruising????
I havent ran it in the river with the thermonstats in yet. Hope to do that today.

What are the water temps down there?
low 80's high 70's

Are your T stats open at an idle???
Not at first but, after she has been idling for about 3 to 5 minutes they open up.

Gonna open up the poppit valve when I get home to make sure its all good.

suicidealli

Usually T stats wont open til you start giving it some gas.. The poppet might be have junk in it. Seems high for idle, but I could be wrong... The other guys says it's ok... Just seems high for idle... Keep your eye on the gauge when get on on plane see if it starts to climb......

Roy

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Once in the water the water pressure was 3psi at idle. Temp ran around 160-165. At a sustained rpm of 5000 till the temp stabilized. Water pressure was 14 psi and temp was around 170. Running it harder with rpms going as high as 6200 and no lower than 4500 she got up to 180-190. Water pressure varying between 13 and 16psi. These temps are of the stock temp sending unit located in the head. Not a temp gauge reading water temp. I have been told the water temp would be 20 degrees cooler than the head temp.

xb03

Yeah, mine well actually run much cooler at 5000+ rpms, like 135-145 deg. Sounds like your poppet is not opening.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
If the poppet wasnt opening it would have high water pressure and it doesnt. What temp thermostat you running in the Pro Max? I thought they were like 120 in the Pro Max's.

Also, keep in mind the temp gun was different than the gauge by around 15-20 degrees.

suicidealli

The low water pressure it what has me concerned, sound like more of a restriction... You could have crapped lodged somewhere, or just in the fitting for the wtr press gauge...
But no way should your pressure be that low with a poppet, and T stats.. You have that much pressure on a 260/280/300.

Roy

Last edited:

xb03

The low water pressure it what has me concerned, sound like more of a restriction... You could have crapped lodged somewhere, or just in the fitting for the wtr press gauge...
But no way should your pressure be that low with a poppet, and T stats.. You have that much pressure on a 260/280/300.

Roy
Mine runs about the same water pressure, with a 1/2 pickup tube.

suicidealli

Yes. Take the tan wire loose going to the temp sensor, and ground it to the block. I think the key has to be on can't remember. The buzzer will sound.. I would say, pump, or crapped blocked somewhere. Start with poppet T-stats. If nothing is found, pull the lower. Check pump, and housing... With the T stats out connect a water hose to the water tube. See if water flows through the engine easy, and out the T stat holes. Then do poppet. You can also pull the water tube out of the exhaust plate if you think if it could be blocked. Make sure the lower unit is clear, and flows great too.. Sometimes sand can get into places, then dry, and become like a rock.. Also have seen sticks lodged about everywhere.. extreme cases I have seen sticks in the block, and blocking water to part of the head. Also have had sand get hard inside of heads.. I bet one head a cup of hard sand it in. All blocked up... You Never know...... Also have seen some lower units with not enough holes in the cone, or to small, and starve the motor of water....
One thing is for sure not enough water is a real bad thing, and will hit the wallet!!!!!!!

My drag/280 have 20 lbs running 80 mph, barley reads any psi at idle. I'm also dry stacked.

Roy

Last edited:

msharp

If the water pressure line is coming of off the bypass hose that runs from the top of block to the poppet valve it will show much lower than one just off the block its self. Where is yours located ? If your buzzer is working properly it would've went off one would think .