200 motor temp?

msharp

IF....Everything is doing what its supposed to do ......Yes but not alot. It Will generate more heat working instead of idling on a water hose.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Wow. The way kids change things......I still havent had a chance to put the boat in the water and run it to see if everything is good to go. I was planning on trying this weekend. Had to go hunt this thread up and re-read it to see what I had done to it so far.....lol Thats bad when you have to go re-read threads to find out what work you have been doing to you boat. Thank god for Allison owners.......lmao!

ally260

Had to go hunt this thread up and re-read it to see what I had done to it so far.....lol Thats bad when you have to go re-read threads to find out what work you have been doing to you boat. Thank god for Allison owners.......lmao!
As you will see that becomes a "standard operating procedure". Hiding your own Easter Eggs and making "new friends" everyday will be next.................

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Went out this weekend, finally! Water PSI gauge froze since the last time I ran it. It sits on 3 psi before i crank it. Anyway, With no t-stats it runs about 150 -155 running around 4k. At idle it is around 160. If I give it gas and while idleing off plane in a no wake zone turning around 2k. She gets hot up to 180-190. Gonna pull the side plates on the sporty and see if its clean. River temp is around 80.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Buzzer might be broke... Where is the clicking coming from?

Roy

Update. With a 13 month old I dont get much time to work on the Allison anymore.The clicking was the temp gauge. I was gounding the wrong tan wire. I grounded the buzzer and it works. I bought a new buzzer to replace the one I thought was broke. So now what? Could the temp sender for the buzzer be wrong/broke or is the gauge wrong and its not running hot?

suicidealli

Ok I just dropped on a stock carb 200 on my boat. I blocked off the dry stacked. I have about 3 lbs at an idle. At 6000 rpms I have 25 lbs. my water temps are 50* currently. I'm running a one peice plate so blocked off the poppet totally to create more heat. It is running amount 120* max after a wot run. I have no pisser, and just a dribble blowing by the T stats at an idle. As soon as I hit 2000 rpms the stats open and water is flowing great.
I think you have an issue.JMO

I have seen everything in a block.. Amazing what will travel trough a water pump. Plastic, 6-7" sticks 1/8" dia. Rocks etc. if you beach on a sand bar I have seen sand dry up and become hard as concrete.. I usually pull the stats and the lower. Hook a hose to the water tube and turn it on. Water should flow easily out the heads. Then do the poppit. I have seen the holes blocked in the exhaust plate too, but usually pressure is high. Pull the water tube make sure it is clean. Flush the lower unit as well. If you still can't find anything pull the heads. Still nothing pull the powerhead. You can clamp a water hose to the water tube and start the motor, don't turn the water all the way on, but make sure it has enough pressure. If the temps fall prolly in the lower or pump. I modify the pump housing to flow more volume also.

Roy

suicidealli

If you run a 1/2" water tube yes they are the same. If you have a water pump for a late 260, or 280/300 it will be a 3/4" housing... If you have a 3/4" housing on a 1/2" water tube that won't work. It will leak water, and run hot...

Pull the buzzer sensor out of the head. Boil some water with a bolt in it. Take the pot of water down to the boat. With some pliers put the hot bolt on the sensor.
Or use a torch, but don't over do it.. Just needs to be around 170-180. To make sure it goes off. I have a laser temp reader. I shoot the block on every cylinder in different areas to make sure it is consistent.. If the head is blocked with sand that will show up with a laser too when you shoot the head temp.

Roy

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Boiled some water. Dropped the sensor into it with the key on and the sensor hooked up. Warning buzzer did not go off. Think the sensors bad.

suicidealli

Should be able to ground it to the block to see if it works. If there is a terminal that joins the 2 wires ground the wire to the block the sensor will buzz.. I wanted to see if it was accurate. I don't think it will buzz throwing it in hot water. It has to complete the circuit and goes to ground to get it to buzz

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I checked the warning horn already by grounding it. It worked. The sensor that is on back of the head is what I put in hot water. How do you check to see if the sensor works? Heat it up with a match then stick it to the head?

suicidealli

Never tried a match. Might work. The bolt in the hot water will get 200+ degrees when the water boils.. Pull it out of the water ground against the block and put the sensor on the bolt head. It should be atleast 175* still, Buzzer should go off.. If not I would replace the sensor..

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Went outside. Pulled the sensor. Put a match to it. I could actually hear it click. Stuck it back in the hole and the buzzer goes off until it cools back off. I heard it click off to. So, if the over heat alarm works and has never went off. Is it running hot or just hotter than it needs to? By the way thanks for walking me thru this.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Just for some closure to this thread.

These pictures are with thermostats in. No water came out of the tail tail for a few minutes after I started it. Once it did the water temp would bounce between 142 and 149. The water coming out of the tail tail would flow slow or fast depending on how hot the water was. The digital thermometer read 149. I stuck the probe about 6 inches into the tail tail water pisser.

The gauge is the dash read this.

I turned the motor from an idle to around 2k and held it and it went down as low as 122 before the thermostats closed and the pisser stopped pissing water. When the digital read this.

The gauge read read this. Kind of hard to see but its dead on 150.

I don't think its running hot. Think I am chasing a ghost. Just want to make sure I didn't stick another piston because of over heating problems. Thanks for all the help fellas.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am glad you got it figured out! It sure is a long way to make sure these things are ok sometimes.