200 motor temp?

msharp

Thats why its not showing alot of water pressure. Ck your buzzer with the key on . If its working ... Probably the temp gauge wrong.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The temp gauge sending unit has 2 wires coming out of it. I unplugged the tan wire, turned on the key. Nothing..........no buzz or horn. Guess it dont work. Anybody know where the warning horn is in a 2003?

msharp

Did you ground the end that goes to the harness ? Not the end to the sender. most of those will be anchored down with a screw . Coming off the starbord head with a single tan wire going over to the ele. Plate. That will be where you would want to ground it to the block to see if its works

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Got a clicking noise like a soleniod closing. Not a steady click just a one click when I ground it and one click when I ungrounded it.

woodsman

I am not motor guy, im learning as I go but, I had a similar problem with my 92 200 carb when I first got it. My buzzer would work, to well seemed like...lol. What it was, was when I went through an idle zone I didnt idle long and it would go off, temp would go up to 160-165 with psi of 3-4. I changed the water pump and put a new water pump housing as mine wasnt the prettiest, and now I have around 8 at idle and the buzzer hasnt went off. I thought it was broke an crossed it over and it worked so, my cooling issue was solved with a new water pump. That is my experiance with this problem, somewhat simple.

msharp

I'll agree that it may need an impeller kit . I think the merc hi pressure pumps should be replaced every year. But without being at the boat and going on what is on the post is kinda like trying to read lips over the phone ! lmao. So guess we have to go through a process of elimination to find the problems. :at the bar

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Seems like that is the same water temps it ran before it stuck a piston and I replaced it with the 260. I have a new water pump kit. Pump housing, gaskets, bottom plate and impeller. I'll change that and get back with yall.

Isnt the motor being force fed water after you are on plane and running?

njj502

There is some "ram" effect once you are running but you still need the pump to circulate the water along with moving it 3' up from the water level.

Hope you get it sorted out w/ the new pump.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I changed the impeller, housing and gaskets. Removed the poppit and it had a few small pebbles in it. Cleaned it put it back on. Started motor on the hose. Water pressure bounced between 5 and 10 PSI temp went to 160. What now?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
OK went and removed thermostats. That fixed the water pressure issue. Its now at a stable 3-4 psi idleing. The water temp came down to around 125 degrees. Also, the temp gauge was reading 140 when the water temperature coming out of the tail-tail was 125. So, that confirms what I thought before. That the head temp was 20-30 degrees hotter than the atual water temp. I think I am gonna go with no thermostats for now.