2001 Allison River Racer

Dave Hensley

Several irons in the fire right now that will help th effort in the long run. Finishing my shop and getting all parts and machinery sorted to support the effort. I will start a new thread and leave it up to the admin's to sticky it when the boat runs 128mph. It is funny you mentioned car racing as my background is dirt track unlimited modifieds. CJ Rayburn told me one time the type of hauler you have, the color of your car, how far you have to travel, how big your shop is, etc, etc bears on how fast you are. Made sense then, makes sense now.

suicidealli

Dave what is the fastest you have been in a Allison????? It isn't for everyone, I have been trying to stop running top end, but I just can't..... In had a friend blow over a stv @ 130 and died. It slowed me down for a while, but I guess I have the bug too. I never had my drag all out, but I have been 123 with a 28 with plenty left, and 118 with a 26. Those were gps runs. I could have been faster playing.. Never have really tried big numners in the drag. It is a awesome feeling to run big numbers.......... Speed goes up risk goes up.. What scares me is my boat is light, and a gust of wind in the 120's-130's would be real bad........

If there is anything I can help you with let me know....

Roy

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Roy, 113 in an XB2002. 121 in my last XR2001. The XR felt like it was loafing. The XB was white knuckle. Mind you now that was just GPS. Don't know if I can run that fast. Someone will. Still circle back to 1987, a 2.4 carb and a ski boat. That was some rarified air. I still think the RR has the best shot. Canopy? Roll bar?

suicidealli

Patrone...

Yep patron that is liquid courage for sure..... That will do it.....

I ran my xb 2002 in the fall, and I was actually a little scared. I have never been scared in the drag on the big end. It is like sitting on the couch, compared to the 2002, or the SS.. The SS is the scariest allison on the top end. That biocth always wanted to turn around and go the other way...
Lmao

Roy

Dave Hensley

Had an XB that was evil. Got wet once and had my feet hanging over the side of the boat, wet on another occasion. To much room to get beat up. To be honest the most forgiving and most comfortable at speed was an old XR 2002 I had that we saved from the grave. It was a hoot. Always let you know before it lost the drive and dropped the nose. Hope the R R feels the same. By thevway Roy, I think your choice of props is spot on. Don't care anything about running anything bigger than a 28. The big wheels really seem to want to torque the hull around. Anyway, all of this is just chin music until the first run or two. The stop watch usually makes your lower lip drag.

suicidealli

I had a small ear 26 chopper at 9800 118mph
I wasn't even close to wot.. I grabbed the wrong prop for the river run that day... I don't like to spin my motor that high for fun.
I ran a big ear cut chopper at 9300 123 mph.
The big ear 28 chopper I didnt care for. It had a lot of cup added. The faster I went the higher the bow got. Just wasn't the right prop.. That is all I have had on the boat for fun.. Otherwise it is 20,22,24 stuff..
My better half is always telling me I need to slow down....
I crack the 26 that day.... Just a hairline.

I had a 390 lb Pugh hydro a few years ago, and sold it... I know I don't want to run close to 150..... Not for me... Tim bostic has that boat now.. Something not right when your in the boat and the capsule lid is resting on your helmut... I rigged it, and a worked drag on it. Brenda sat down with me, and had a little talk... I have twin boys that are 9 now. They were 6 at the time. Just wasnt worth it... That is when I got the drag.. I figure I was safer in it at 120 than that tater chip at 140+...

Roy

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

After meeting and talking to Jon Wright I went over to Pugh's and talked about one of his drag boats. They are well built and fast. Lots of craftsmanship goes into their stuff. Nice folks too. The problem is I am 6'4". My head stuck above the canopy without a helmet and I had to sit with my shoulders sideways cause they were wider than the cockpit. Allison accommodates taller folks with big gourds for heads.