2001 Allison River Racer

BP1

Saw this baby just slipping over the tn border on I24 Saturday.
Good luck with it.

patches

Very interested to see the progress of this boat. What kinda power and setup are you planning on Dave? XR6 case I'm assuming?

Dave Hensley

It is a project. I think the key will be reliable, proven parts. Lots of folks out there with more knowledge/experience than I have? Gearcase and prop will be focus. First things first. Gotta see what a good base line is to start from. Modified 260 with 200 case. Darris told me a few years back for every 1 mph over 100 it woukd cost a grand. Add inflation in and that looks like $60,000.

patches

Well I'm sure that will get you well into the 120's. The 122 Josh ran with the 200 was with a big case and more motor height than most would believe. Good luck with it. Keep us updated

BGohr

It is a project. I think the key will be reliable, proven parts. Lots of folks out there with more knowledge/experience than I have? Gearcase and prop will be focus. First things first. Gotta see what a good base line is to start from. Modified 260 with 200 case. Darris told me a few years back for every 1 mph over 100 it woukd cost a grand. Add inflation in and that looks like $60,000.
Well I'd be in on that, but it wouldn't be a 260 or a 200 case, and the first pass would be in the 120's. Lets remember that old record boat was an open cockpit and lots of things were done to it that most people would never dream of, at those speeds aerodynamics plays a big role most of which your boat corrects easily.

Cleinmark has already gone 126 in the similar boat with a 26 pitch prop so seriously, what would it take??

Dave Hensley

Remember a few years back a guy in Georgia posting on S&F that he was playing with a Speedmaster on a XR2001. Norris maybe was his name? He was shot down by some nay sayers but I always pondered that idea. Need to make the combination as comfortable as possible. Would like to see plenty of headroom on the number. I am open to options at this point and soliciting help from any and all. Especially someone with ties to the APBA. I totally suck at the political side of this and it will take some help.

BGohr

you just call and find out where the kilo is going to be run and go there, usually there is one every year, we're checking on that now because we want to set a record in another class. You need to join apba and st the record.

Dave Hensley

Lots of work to do. May be a pipe dream but it will be interesting to see what the RR will do if it is set up strictly to run top end. I still scratch my head when I look at the details from the 1987 record run. 9200 rpms spinning a 30p prop with 1.78 gears. That puppy was making some serious hp even by todays standards.

patches

I've read somewhere 270-280. I wouldn't expect much more out than that considering it was a 2.4. Kinda jives also with the XR2001 I mentioned the other day that has gone 122 with a stock 2.5 200 and routinely runs 118-119
I think upper 130's is very attainable IF you can hold the boat. I have been told by a previous owner of my boat it has been 133 on radar and he said the tricky part was shutting it down.
I know you're not a rookie at this but I'd be looking for a good XR6 case over the 200 case. Rick Conklin had a nice 1.78 case for sale for awhile, not sure if he still has it

BGohr

Lots of work to do. May be a pipe dream but it will be interesting to see what the RR will do if it is set up strictly to run top end. I still scratch my head when I look at the details from the 1987 record run. 9200 rpms spinning a 30p prop with 1.78 gears. That puppy was making some serious hp even by todays standards.
Well you just have to patient and accurate once you get started, at those speeds a little means alot, and then once you get to the kilos it may just get harder.

When we set the first Bassboat speed records back in 1991 we spent days waiting for the right weather, it took 10 days of getting up at 3:30, watching the weather, wind, seeing if the driver thought it was good enough, blah, blah, blah. The best time is at sun up, or sun down. Then after 9 or 10 days we had what we wanted, and since they were "stock" records we had to take the motors to needle bearings and have them inspected, unfortunately someone in engineering had left the thermostats out of the 175 so Titus denied the record so I had to have the engine running by 5am. and it was like 7pm. so that was a long night, but the boat went 2.5MPH faster the next morn so who knows.

I think the 130's are obtainable especially with that boat and the right package on the back.

Dave Hensley

Yep looking for a Steckbauer with 1.87 gears and no work done on it. Then have to get real friendly with a lower unit guru that can take feedback and tweak the unit for what the boat needs. 133-135 would be admirable if it was stable and could be replicated in less than perfect conditions. That is the piece of the puzzle that is variable, conditions. Read any of David Shook's comments and that hampered him. Watch the 1987 run and it was home field advantage and perfect conditions. I think there was much more activity and more opportunities to make record runs during that time frame. The cost of getting APBA to set up a run on your home water is staggering.

BGohr

Yep looking for a Steckbauer with 1.87 gears and no work done on it. Then have to get real friendly with a lower unit guru that can take feedback and tweak the unit for what the boat needs. 133-135 would be admirable if it was stable and could be replicated in less than perfect conditions. That is the piece of the puzzle that is variable, conditions. Read any of David Shook's comments and that hampered him. Watch the 1987 run and it was home field advantage and perfect conditions. I think there was much more activity and more opportunities to make record runs during that time frame. The cost of getting APBA to set up a run on your home water is staggering.
Yes the sanction is expensive but like I said teir usually is one somewhere every year, someone told me washington state, so whenI find out I will let you know because we are going to record one also.

patches

I'd rather have a 1.75 case if you want Sportmaster internals or 1.78 if you're ok with stock XR6 internals

90 5.0

Man, this needs to be a new thread in another section. I would love to follow this , i love things like this, challenges etc.

If anyone with any ally is going to the APBA run to try and set new records i'd love to go.

When more details are found out about when and where be sure to post them up!!..

I've worked on some cars that have set a few records in the past in the early days of the Mustang drag racing scene, it was a ton of fun pushing the limits of what is "known" or "accepted" as doable..

Ton of work, but fun and exciting for sure!!