2014 xr-2002

xb03fs

Re: 2013 xr-2002

Hooking not blowing over is a big advantage in my book.....blow over are less likely to live through so I will never own one.

Same reason I'll not have an my Allison setup to run over 90 is most agree sub 90 hooks are much less harmful and less likely to get you wet.

I value my life and I think wether the a boat on edge at 75 or 85 or 95 it still feels somewhat similar when riding on the lip at full trim just more time to react to mistakes and not hook..

I have viewed some videos where they say there is blowout and just looks like the nose drops a hair and it shakes a bit If that's what non-hook blowout is when conditions are right I trim to that point where the nose drops or comes unsettled several time a day... So I guess it's good I don't have much power

racerx

An Allison drag with a good driver could put up a big end number for sure and I would say is the fastest haul on the big end it took a diamond stv to go a 128 with a 30plus prop vs a Gohr Allison with 26 pitch prop at 126 not set up for a big end run just a fun run,so I believe a drag could run big numbers but hope you don't have to slow down in a hurry...

RBT

An Allison drag with a good driver could put up a big end number for sure and I would say is the fastest haul on the big end it took a diamond stv to go a 128 with a 30plus prop vs a Gohr Allison with 26 pitch prop at 126 not set up for a big end run just a fun run,so I believe a drag could run big numbers but hope you don't have to slow down in a hurry...
I remember that rumble well. Your driving was nuts, I wish someone had video of your pass's never seen an Allison Run that fast in water that rough.
To be fair Dennis ran one pass and ran 128, we ran 124 or 5 ( with a pump gas drag on a four seat Stv). I know we had more and so did Dennis, but it was too rough. Dennis later ran that same boat with the same motor into the 140's. Keys Dave, 138 with a diamond Stv and a sportmaster
There are some big numbers out there, but it doesn't seem to me that many are chasing them anymore.
And yes I have had a friend killed in an STV

Last edited:

racerx

Robb the funny thing was I never seen the stvs make a pass they ran off to find calm water I always wondered how a 30 on the Allison would of run with the motor a smidge higher I know none of those stvs had a chance in the drags...

racerx

Rob that was just a little exhibition run for representing an Allison in rough water for the crowd..lol But I really think if someone set one up for a big end run on motor it would go fast I know they have more pull on the big end then a xr2002 but I don't think any one is ever gonna try it we know Srnec wont.lol

RBT

Ya both stv's ran the far shore.
You and Srnec had the drags covered! Zukerman was there too. Lol

GotMyAlly

I've only been in one STV, but in rough water it soaked us all at cruising speeds. You couldn't give me one after that experience. Maybe they do great on the racetrack, but seemed like a piss-poor lake boat to me.

jas638

Banned

I've only been in one STV, but in rough water it soaked us all at cruising speeds. You couldn't give me one after that experience. Maybe they do great on the racetrack, but seemed like a piss-poor lake boat to me.
contrary to what was said by another member,what you state is the reason i am on the fence with getting one (used) . i have talked to a few guys that had these boats ,and apparently some of them can have a porpoise to them,maybe depending on who built them. my friend james rooney's diamond(who he bought it from ,i don't know if they made it) stv 90-91 sprint bottom comp deck ,(i think,or i could be bullshitting),able steer.when i was in it, (only once,james didn't like taking people out .but i got lucky) we did 117 in a blink .no porpoising,dry ride and kinda just teetered side to side a bit. his was purchased new.i wish i got to drive one.

whipper

I love the way Allisons run on smooth and in the chop. Wakes coming from every direction is another story. But even then most smaller craft are having a rough time of those conditions ive seen speed for speed. I think the only difference in other boats is they are going much slower threw the same conditions. At 45-50+ most 20fters will have a tough time in cross chop if they even have a top speed that high.:very happy

Hears a Q I always wondered. Is the hull on an XR as deep as the other 20fters? Freeboard isnt as high but from the rubrail down and what about the stern. Are they deep vees, what degree is a xr02?

RBT

If an Stv porpoise's it is a setup issue. The only way an Stv is "faster" is drivability. The Allison punches a smaller hole in the sky, not sure about who has less hydrodynamic drag it would be real close. But for sure the Allison is much more aerodynamic. The big numbers are likely cus you can drive them and slow them down .

whipper

I talked to Dixon about his real fast run before. He was turning a super small Dia wheel to keep the arse planted. I dont remember what size but I think it was actually a 2 blade cleaver like 12 inch or some odd wheel spinning to the moon.

I think your right about the punching a hole and hydromatics. And the slow down part. The STV from what ive gathered can be tricky to slow down from speed also. With a funky small wheel maybe that {parachute} effect would be lessened but you wont catch me trying that out at 130+.:big grin

Aeromarine research has done drag coefficient tests on the STV and some Allisons. If i recall correctly both were very close to each other. The apples to Apples test would be an Xr02 vs RR. Pretty sure the STV was a Euro and the Allison a SS in his test. That seems to be Apples to Apples in sport boat equivalencies anyway. One things for sure,they are very close in performance. The top speed for an Allison RR or XR has yet to be really explored with the new tech available today. Im sure one day someones going to run an Allison 140+. I hope who ever explores this can come off slow enough to stop on there terms.:help

John S

If you're buying a used STV, I would make sure to be careful on who built it. Full Throttle is exempt from this.

RBT

Dixon ran 4 blade dewald, 12" diameter. It would have gone faster with less dia. The back of the boat wanted to come around on him.

racerx

John the 2 new stvs I owned busted the center pads on them...

patches

If an Stv porpoise's it is a setup issue. The only way an Stv is "faster" is drivability. The Allison punches a smaller hole in the sky, not sure about who has less hydrodynamic drag it would be real close. But for sure the Allison is much more aerodynamic. The big numbers are likely cus you can drive them and slow them down .
Exactly on the last sentence! With equal power the Allison is just as fast as an STV till you get to about 130 and the danger factor goes way up on the v bottom. Assuming one could hold it I have no doubt the Allison would go just as fast

bigtis

Exactly on the last sentence! With equal power the Allison is just as fast as an STV till you get to about 130 and the danger factor goes way up on the v bottom. Assuming one could hold it I have no doubt the Allison would go just as fast
Super stock 200 setup at 1450-1400lbs. Josh could do low 20's with a firkin 200 and a big gear case!!!!!!!

Stock 280 drag electrics. Lil compression. Xr6 with 1.62 cut guts. Good 26 for a wheel I'd say that's good for 15 more at the very least.

Xr6's have brought us an average of 5mph on a boat that runs 100 with a big case. And it seems to get more and more efficient over the big case the faster you go.

Last edited: