23' Grandsport

allyfreek

Last fall I heard Darris was still working on the boat due to a porpoise problem. With some of the 20' boats falling off of the available models list we need this boat soon. Plus with the new Mercury Racing 250R and 300R engines it should be a great running boat. Bigger motors require bigger boats. Plus you have to evolve to stay relevant.

allyfreek

Going back, in 1969 I had a 66 Corvette. My Dad wanted me to redesign the boat. So, I took the front fenders off of my Corvette and turned them backwards and streamlined them, to create the rear deck lines of all the new boats. All the 13’, 14’ and 18’ foot boats had the Corvette front fender design as the rear sides of the boat. Prior to that, dad had a 1960 Buick that inspired the 1962 model Allison Boat, torpedo shape front, that pointed front. That is in almost all Allison Boats even now. Dad used the front of the hood for the plug.

I am trying to keep this 23' Grandsport thread going. In the spirit of things fast and cool in the paragraph above from a Q & A thing Darris did with Wave to Wave I believe he mentions his Corvette. Well since the 8th generation mid engine Corvette is debuting this July 18th Darris I hope will soon debut the 2nd generation I believe now is a 22' Grandsport and a flats boat and bass boat to follow. I need something new and bigger to pass on to my son. Not that my 1994 XB 2002 now an antique won't suffice but I am getting older by the minute and time is running out and I believe the last boat to come out was the XB 21 in 2002. lol

mikesufka

Any news on this thing ? Wanna see one with a 300R on the back.... or more ;)

MDS

motobuffy

Was at the plant early August. The "when" question was answered with "there is still a mid range porpoise and we are working to solve it."

DOUBLE J

I ordered a Checkmate Pulsare 2400 in 2008 cause I didn't want to wait for Darris to finish the 23' boat. At that time he was testing the plug and said it would be out in probably a year or so. Since then I went to numerous A-rallys and was told pretty much the same thing. The last couple of years at the A-rally I quit asking cause I felt that nothing had change. I feel that if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. Heck Tuff designed and put together a new hull in 6 months (there new 24). I'm sure a few of us was hoping with the new motors by Merc. that this would push him to complete it, but it doesn't look like the case.

Xanax1961

Allisons are getting long in the tooth anyway, it sucks but think about it, you can buy a STV, Liberator or a Talon and run faster and easier to drive on the bigger numbers....... :(

Xanax1961

This summer, I had my XB02 at a Missouri lake getting fuel. Stranger stops and says, "That is the Corvette of bass boats." Indeed. (Notice the tense --present-- of his statement.)
You took what I said wrong, ALL I meant was an good powered STV river racer is a faster boat top end than our Allisons, for the record I love my Ally, even when getting out ran by STVs :)

Lotus 50

I suppose an STV might be a bit faster than my SS2000, if both had a 200XS. My SS2000 doesn't porpoise and I don't get spray over the bow at low speeds. Better for me.

Xanax1961

Depends on which motor is the on the back of STV and Allison. Like for like. Wildman talking about 450R going 130 on a Liberator. Allison can't do that (but XR ran 128+ thirty years ago).. Why bother with a STV or Liberator if speed is the criterion? Just go multiple 450Rs. In the outboard speed department, single engine rigs are yesterday's news. There will be 150 mph, stock, warrantied OB hulls in the near future. Twin 500R on a 30 Skater/MTI/DW.
Can't argue with that, I do remember an STV running 142 on the Suwannee river about 10 yrs ago, can't remember the guys name