Allison SS-2000 - everything about

aeneas

It would be interesting to collect everything about the SS-2000 in one thread:
- what hull it is derived from (if any)
- history
- versions (SS-R, Comp, Excel and one offs)
- changes/alterations
- fairings
- color schemes
- reviews and tests
- setups and speeds

If there is such a thread, please delete. :)

RedAllison

It would be interesting to collect everything about the SS-2000 in one thread:
- what hull it is derived from (if any) None, it was a completely new boat and style that Darris came up with. Much of the shape and "tricks" you see in the XB-21 lineup originated with the SS. And much of the coming 24 will likewise be borrowed from the SS. Darris told me that while he knows the SS and 21s aren't as sexy or racy looking as the XB/XR boats the smooth, radiused curves are in fact more aerodynamic than the sharper corners/edges of the previous generation boats.
- history Never really asked or heard him say but I think in some ways the SS was created to give those wanting XR02 like performance in a smaller lake boat than the GS offered. Up until the last couple of years he stated he'd never offer the XR2002 anymore so the SS was your only option along those lines. There is a DISTINCT difference in the driving and handling of the GS vs the SS. The GS is like a convertible Buick with alot of power. The SS is a convertible vette!
- versions (SS-R, Comp, Excel and one offs) You listed them. The only specific "one off" that I've ever seen was the boat previously owned Propmanjay. (Was Mikes Medica's before that I believe) That boat ran 90-91 I think with a 115Ficht when Darris had it. It was light and perfect. It was at the factory during the very first Ally Rally in 2001. Darris called it "Nancy's Demo". But there's been several SS-Rs built that were lighter. Weight wise, again the owners would be much more reliable to quote that.
- changes/alterations None that I know of but I'm no expert on the SS by any means, just don't remember any changes compared to other changes in other boats since the SS came along.
- fairings Yes tail fairings have been used on them and are available.
- color schemes IMHO the sharpest one was the gray/black/silver/gold SS that Darris built to test with a 90hp Honda 4 stroke. Darris had it in the shop a couple of rallies ago and pics exist of it on this site. DOUBLE BARREL SHARP IMHO. Everyone who saw it in person remarked about it. Otherwise, SSs have been built in just about anyother colors that Allison has offered. (I believe you can see a pic of Darris driving this boat on the Allisonboat site under the SS2000 section.)
- reviews and tests A call to the factory can tell you this exactly (as well as anyother answers we're trying here) as they usually keep such information for their own use and reference. I think they still use in their advertising a test by Trailer Boats Magazine or someother publication a test with a SS with a V4 direct injection on it that yielded 12mpg at best cruise!!! Not sure I recall anyother tests but that don't mean anything, I simply don't keep up with boat/mag tests anymore.
- setups and speeds I'll leave that for the members here with ownership experience. I will say that the 2nd easiest driving Allison that I've ever ran was Lou Jones' SS comp with a stock 260SS. Glenn Reynolds did the bottom on it and it handled like a DREAM into the upper 90s. Closest thing I've driven to the XR01s I've driven.

If there is such a thread, please delete. :)
:beer:
RA

ps
Drop Scott Gilmore a PM if you get a chance. The SS is his favorite and I think he's owned every 2nd SS ever built!!! lmao

Last edited:

aeneas

Great info RA, thank you!

Personally I think it is a stunning boat. I don't think I've seen lines like that before - it looks interesting from most angles. I bought mine from information I got from this forum, Allison Boats, Reynold's website and S&F but there just isn't very much around - that's why I thought it'd be interesting to gather all here. I had not seen one IRL before and I have not to this day read a test from a magazine but I sure would like to.

Keep the info coming!

RedAllison

Another history I forgot to mention about the SS, I think Darris also had in mind a performance boat for smaller engines. The boat runs awfully well with V4 engines. It's still quick and handles like a dream with a 115 but can be made to run in the upper 70s and even 80s with such motors. A V-4 DFI engine will yield double digit mpg economy and can be towed with essentially anything. For a 20ft, 4 passenger boat that's a pretty tall and unique order in todays market.

Perhaps in the future this will return the SS to good sales figures,
RA

Darth VMAX

I would be REAL curious to see what a SS would run with a new 130/115HO Etec. Both in speed and fuel economy.

If Yamaha would derive a lightweight 2.8L V4 (135-175hp) based off the 4.2 V6 Vmax SHO 4-Stroke...that would be neat set-up on an SS (or any 20' Allison) as well.

Cool thread!

Volatile

I have some photos of the prototype or I should say A prototype from before the boat was actually made. they take pcs from various boats and cut pcs and duct tape them together, very cool testing stuff. The boat was grey primer with a wood frame interior. Looked a bit different than the finished SS product. Cool pix none the less. I'll try to scan them and post them.

Lotus 50

John Tiger got just over 80 with a 115 Etec on an SS. I think it was the comp hull. The 115 HO should be 2-3 mph faster.

The perfect SS2000 motor for me would be one of the 200XS race motors, but that's going to take a lottery win.

Darth VMAX

I agree the 200xs would be great except the 200xs is a 440 lb motor and now the SS has a max motor "weight rating" of 390 lbs...

aeneas

Volatile: please post those pics! :)

Specifications
Length overall: 20’ 2”
Centerline length: 18’ 9”
Beam: 86”
Molded depth: 35 1/2”
V-angle: 22 degrees (with pad)
Fuel capacity: 24 gal.

Seating capacity
RACE: 1
COMP: 2-3
Excel: 3-4

Weight
RACE: 660-690 lbs
COMP: 725-750 lbs
Excel: 750 -800 lbs

Source: Reynold's Racing & Marine

I will setup my SS-2000 with a Merc 200xs ss sm and that's ok according to Darris. He also said that with some tweaking it should be possible to do 100mph but I will not hunt speed, atleast not to begin with. Initially I will be going for a good allround setup.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I will setup my SS-2000 with a Merc 200xs ss sm and that's ok according to Darris.

That is awesome and it should run real good. One question, If Darris is ok with it then why in Gods green Earth does he have the 390lb max engine warning on the SS. By doing that (again, according to the website) He eliminates all current 150hp and up motors.

The 2.6 ETEC 150HO, 175 and 200 weigh 418 lbs. The 150/175 ProXs weigh 430 lbs, and as stated the 200xs is 440 lbs. Those are a lot of good motors that are DQ'd due to the "official" Statement...

"DO NOT INSTALL an engine of 3-liters and up, nor any engine weighing more than 390 pounds, regardless of its horsepower. Allison Boats will absolutely NOT be responsible nor support any such activity in any way."

aeneas

Yes, those warning stickers are in the boat. I asked out of a hypothetical perspective if the boat would carry the weight and if it would be possible to setup to run well. I did not ask about safety... I will set the boat up at my own risk so do not take it as a go ahead from Allison Boats.

In Canada, some marinas sold SS-2000 with 200xs (see pic below) but I have seen 260's, 280's and Drags on the boats so...

This pic serves as inspiration for me. :)

That is awesome and it should run real good. One question, If Darris is ok with it then why in Gods green Earth does he have the 390lb max engine warning on the SS. By doing that (again, according to the website) He eliminates all current 150hp and up motors.

The 2.6 ETEC 150HO, 175 and 200 weigh 418 lbs. The 150/175 ProXs weigh 430 lbs, and as stated the 200xs is 440 lbs. Those are a lot of good motors that are DQ'd due to the "official" Statement...

"DO NOT INSTALL an engine of 3-liters and up, nor any engine weighing more than 390 pounds, regardless of its horsepower. Allison Boats will absolutely NOT be responsible nor support any such activity in any way."

Last edited:

Bobalouie

To take it a step further, the 390 lb weight limitation pretty much pulls out any 2.5L merc made at any time. Even though the claimed weight was 375lbs, they were never that light.

On Tap

Gotta love the full red SS in the previous post!

It'd be interesting to what the hole-shot is like w/115 HO ETEC motor. With a 280 the hole-shot is rediculous!!!

K

propmanjay

John Tiger got just over 80 with a 115 Etec on an SS. I think it was the comp hull. The 115 HO should be 2-3 mph faster.

The perfect SS2000 motor for me would be one of the 200XS race motors, but that's going to take a lottery win.
The one John tested was my old SSR. It had tandem buckets and a rear bench option. It was a fun boat with the 280.

waterskipper

Im rigging a 2.6 yamaha on my comp, I kno that some may call BS here but before all parts were taken apart , rebuilt, cleaned painted and so on I wieghed them ... everything was 379lbs

K.Kiser

I don't call BS at all, the older Yamahas and OMCs weren't very heavy despite their appearance... I really like the 90 degree engines, and I'd love to have a nicely built Yamaha or OMC..

suicidealli

i have ran on my old ss :
2.4 175
2.4 200
a worked 2.4 bp with laser injection
stock 260
lake cut 260 with wizards
jsre cut 260 lighten balanced, the works for jay
a stock drag with wizards.
a worked drag.

a good 260 with the exhaust cut like a drag is hard to beat. 150 lbs comp and rock on.
best all around combo.
for racing i will a cut 260 if pump gas is used.
if race fuel is used 200 lbs comp and the drag.
awesome boat i will miss mine, but time to make a 2002 run in the teens

roy