Allison SS-2000 - everything about

aeneas

Thank you all for contributing to making this thread super interesting! Also thank you for all the kind, helpful and welcoming PM's!

Oh and msethsmile, right back at ya!

Back on topic!

Lotus 50

From the John Tiger Hotboat article

Allison SS2000
1994 Mariner 2.5 260
ECU modified, JC modified gearcase, otherwise stock

Performance Propellers 32" chopper cut
119.5 @ 7750
sluggish acceleration
top speed pretty controllable

Mazco chopper cut, 31"
117 @ 8000
good handling
very good mid range

Hoss Triton 28"
115 @ 8500
best acceleration of props tested
top speed handling could not be better

Mazco RE4 26"
109 @ 8800
handling and lift were phenomenal

Mazco RE3 30"
118.5 @ 8200
excellent handling

Mazco offshore cleaver pitch not listed
117.5 @ 7900
acceleration not nearly as good as round ears
"hair raising" handling

Lotus 50

My librarian wife thinks copyright is important and that I should not post from someone else's work. John, if you read this and agree, I'll delete the above post.

Last edited:

aeneas

A picture of the beast from the east...ss w/ 115 omc power.
Is that Nancy's boat from the test?

Because I borrowed this pic from Allison Boats website and it looks like an Evinrude Ficht engine..?

Last edited:

Lotus 50

At least two SS2000s have had 115 HP put on. There was the boat Allison set up for the Trailer Boat test, and then the 'Beast from the East'

aeneas

Aha, so the white/purple boat is Nancy's and the white/teal is the beast from the east.

Darth VMAX

I LOVE seeing these pictures. The ETEC, the 115 OMC...

Looks very cool. Nice change from the same ol' 2.5 stuff

LEVI LEDET

I have that boat now rigging a 280 on it now should be ready to ride next week and it's white and blue

aeneas

I have that boat now rigging a 280 on it now should be ready to ride next week and it's white and blue
Congratulations! Is it the one that was on S&F? If so, very clean and nice looking boat! What is it? I think RedAllison described it as a one off but what is it officially? SS-R?

Last edited:

RedAllison

The pic of "Nancy's Boat" with Darris in it looks white and purple but it's really white and blue.

A 175XS with a Steckbauer case on a SS sure would be a heartbreaker and efficient and fun cruisier, :cool
RA

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Aeneas--
The 'beast' tag was for chuckles. It was pre e-tec and Ficht. That was a stock (except for cone) 115 Fastrike Johnson (98?). I was running 30 inch wheel on that thing and the holeshot was tolerable. Anyway, it ate a few big blocks for lunch--by well over 5 mph. Drawback was the lower unit which I could not keep in one piece (elevated shaft heights).

Might try it again someday with a beefier lower unit. I think 90 is possible with a souped up pump gas v-4. SS is a very efficient hull.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
There was another ss w/ 115 power. He was at a rally near Knoxville, I think he was local. His ss had a Rude of the same era as my fastrike. He said 76 mph.

aeneas

Aeneas--
The 'beast' tag was for chuckles. It was pre e-tec and Ficht. That was a stock (except for cone) 115 Fastrike Johnson (98?). I was running 30 inch wheel on that thing and the holeshot was tolerable. Anyway, it ate a few big blocks for lunch--by well over 5 mph. Drawback was the lower unit which I could not keep in one piece (elevated shaft heights).

Might try it again someday with a beefier lower unit. I think 90 is possible with a souped up pump gas v-4. SS is a very efficient hull.
msethsmile, I got "the beast"-thing! (Irony have come here too...) :big grin
However, I think running a 30p on a 115 at 80mph is awesome! Fastrike by the way, is that a high output engine? Propshaft height? How many rpm's?

------------------------------
EDIT: I asked an authority on OMC outboards about your engine and he said it is a jem, one of the best and that if you had problems with lowers that you could use one from a V-6.

Last edited:

Waterdigger

I ran a 115 omc on Nancy's boat for couple years with no LU problems. Carrier needs to be pinned like a Yamaha.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

Funny you should mention a 175XS with a Steckbaur on an SS. I've been thinking for a while that would be perfect, but it would be expensive. I'll just run my 150XR4 another year and see it I can get an honest 90 (89.7 best to date).

LEVI LEDET

it is a 2000ss-r and when i called allison to find out some details on the boat they told me it was more then one that just came out the mold looks like the bottem was worked to me its perfect