ally xr-how fast w/ a 200

K.Kiser

just be careful!! remember there is no safety crew there, etc
10-4 on no safety crews... I'm more interested in the 200 hp shootout, I'm not real eager to see a Guy floorboard an XR01 for a mile with a 280 or Drag... They'll run 130, I gaurantee it but the stakes get high up there... There was a Drag that ran 128mph in real nasty water, drag course set-up, with a borrowed 28 pitch prop, 260/280/Drag --- I can't remember which... This is not rumor, it was on a radar gun and witnessed by a crowd of People... Set-up for top end, it's a done deal but I also think it would be a matter of time before the luck ran out...

jeff tyner

10-4 on no safety crews... I'm more interested in the 200 hp shootout, I'm not real eager to see a Guy floorboard an XR01 for a mile with a 280 or Drag... They'll run 130, I gaurantee it but the stakes get high up there... There was a Drag that ran 128mph in real nasty water, drag course set-up, with a borrowed 28 pitch prop, 260/280/Drag --- I can't remember which... This is not rumor, it was on a radar gun and witnessed by a crowd of People... Set-up for top end, it's a done deal but I also think it would be a matter of time before the luck ran out...
do i think a xr2001 can run 130 yes with a drag motor yes. if it is set up for it. do i think any allison can run 130 with a stock 280 with rev limiter removed NO.some of the guys i hang with live to run top end with very well set up STV's. and they have tryed many of time running there 280's with there 32 cleavers we have seen 127 with there 15/34 cleavers we have seen 129.and i'm talking about keys dave. if you don't think he can do it then just come watch him because he loves a crowd. and there are plenty of people that have seen him do it.[andy driver] [ scott vickery] lots more.and if you think a allison will run on top with a STV with the same power you will have to show me.now with that being said BE CAREFUL AND WEAR YOUR SAFTEY EQUIPMENT we are all one big boating family and we love what we do with our boats.and can learn from each other.take care and may be i will see some of you at the 200 SHOOTOUT jeff.:at the bar

actmobmar

thats my thinking, i hope i'm wrong. i've actually having second thoughts about the whole thing, i feel like i need more setup time and seat time in this boat before i'm ready, i just don't feel comfortable yet in it

timber1103

do i think a xr2001 can run 130 yes with a drag motor yes. if it is set up for it. do i think any allison can run 130 with a stock 280 with rev limiter removed NO.some of the guys i hang with live to run top end with very well set up STV's. and they have tryed many of time running there 280's with there 32 cleavers we have seen 127 with there 15/34 cleavers we have seen 129.and i'm talking about keys dave. if you don't think he can do it then just come watch him because he loves a crowd. and there are plenty of people that have seen him do it.[andy driver] [ scott vickery] lots more.and if you think a allison will run on top with a STV with the same power you will have to show me.now with that being said BE CAREFUL AND WEAR YOUR SAFTEY EQUIPMENT we are all one big boating family and we love what we do with our boats.and can learn from each other.take care and may be i will see some of you at the 200 SHOOTOUT jeff.:at the bar
i couldn't agree with this more... jeff you said it all !!

K.Kiser

I think with someone that was really into top ending a drag with a 280 could make a heckuva run at it, may come up short maybe not... No one really tries to topend the XR01's, they're all drag course boats but I don't blame them... Jeff, what do You think is the faster topend boat between the XR01 VS. XR02..?

Last edited:

jeff tyner

I think with someone that was really into top ending a drag with a 280 could make a heckuva run at it, may come up short maybe not... No one really tries to topend the XR01's, they're all drag course boats but I don't blame them... Jeff, what do You think is the faster topend boat between the XR01 VS. XR02..?
kiser as far as top end boats 01 vs 02 it would be unfair for me to say. i've owned both but only drag race with my 01. i will say this my 02 seems to be very forgiven. i have been 101 when the fuel pump locked up and the boat did nothing stupid. no left our right darting just stopped straight.my opinion is they would be equal. but i would take the 02:very happy

K.Kiser

We know an 02 will run 130+ with less than 300 hp... Superior set-up Man and Driver, but it can be done although I think it's unlikely that it'll get repeated... That was My basis on the XR01 being capable of 130 with 280 propshaft HP...

bigtis

Randy, I like you and hate to say this but someone has to before this gets out of hand.

PUT DOWN THE PIPE!

I've never heard of anyone going 130 in an XR2001. I know it can be done but I just don't believe you did it or even came close. The GPS didn't happen to fall out of your lap while you were slowing down did it???
I'm not doubting that your gps, radar or whatever read 130, just that it was accurate. Please don't try to prove me wrong cause I don't want to see you hurt yourself doing something pointless.:beer:
I don't bullshit when it comes to stuff like this. MAIN reasoning is because those who haven't done it will always call BS if they haven't done it or seen it done themselves.

Harry, I like you too BUT how many times does your boat hit the water before a race? I've got a wager that the boat will get on 120 with a prostock setup minus the gearcase and prop. maybe 1300lbs. do you all honestly believe that extra 10mph is unacheivable?!!

Harry what was the fastest you'd ran your prostock boat before you got the nasty thing you have now? I'd gotten minde to 113-115 everytime out before it flipped. I've got a better prop selection now, so it should get interesting, BUT for safety purposes I'll be using XR6's from now on for big endind.

I have no doubt the boat did that. and as you said with a drag racing setup.

I stabbed my 280 on my boat the day I got it. I learned and got the feel for the boat top ending it before I EVER put a small wheel on it. boat ran 117 one way and 119 the other way with the boat at about 1580lbs. had a 30 on 1.87's to the 8600rev with a sporty buried in the water.

Never said an ALlison will out topend a tunnel boat. Just stating what mine has gone with my lite ase in it.

once we show yall close to or a tad over 120 with a prostock boat, maybe yall will believe us coonasses then. If not, it'll still be no big deal cause we have no reason to bullchit. WE ARE ALWAYS the kings of our sandbar.

jeff tyner

I don't bullshit when it comes to stuff like this. MAIN reasoning is because those who haven't done it will always call BS if they haven't done it or seen it done themselves.

Harry, I like you too BUT how many times does your boat hit the water before a race? I've got a wager that the boat will get on 120 with a prostock setup minus the gearcase and prop. maybe 1300lbs. do you all honestly believe that extra 10mph is unacheivable?!!

Harry what was the fastest you'd ran your prostock boat before you got the nasty thing you have now? I'd gotten minde to 113-115 everytime out before it flipped. I've got a better prop selection now, so it should get interesting, BUT for safety purposes I'll be using XR6's from now on for big endind.

I have no doubt the boat did that. and as you said with a drag racing setup.

I stabbed my 280 on my boat the day I got it. I learned and got the feel for the boat top ending it before I EVER put a small wheel on it. boat ran 117 one way and 119 the other way with the boat at about 1580lbs. had a 30 on 1.87's to the 8600rev with a sporty buried in the water.

Never said an ALlison will out topend a tunnel boat. Just stating what mine has gone with my lite ase in it.

once we show yall close to or a tad over 120 with a prostock boat, maybe yall will believe us coonasses then. If not, it'll still be no big deal cause we have no reason to bullchit. WE ARE ALWAYS the kings of our sandbar.
hell if 10 mph ain't much to get then if you have been 130 with a 280 then 140 with a drag shouldn't be hard:help

XXXR2001

Harry what was the fastest you'd ran your prostock boat before you got the nasty thing you have now? I'd gotten minde to 113-115 everytime out before it flipped.
I never saw 100 with the prostock motor but I believe you when you say you've seen 113-115. I've witnessed a prostock motor on a lake racer stv run 107 so I'm sure yours will roll.

Casey G

Harry remember when you and I raced our xr's back from that sand bar on the brazos for like 20 miles wide open. you had a pro stock motor and I had a super stock 2.4. that set-up on my boat ran 107 and yours was right there. man that was a blast!

I think the only thing holding an xr w/ drag back on top end is the driver. the fastest I ever ran mine was like 118-119, I was cool with that, but that's it. I'll pass on 120+.

Randy you need to be careful; you may not be so lucky next time.

allison8503

until it is tried we will never know! who knows i have a 1:78 xr6 15 in. case and a bad *** 28. I mean with same prop, with a drag set up my prostock boat it ran over 110. Casey you saw it at the brazos that afternoon I didnt show the GPS cause i didnt think it was that big of a deal. It had a 2:1 case on it. This is the same thing about how they say a Xb2003 want run over 107 but I have seen them run 102 in the 1/4 with a 22.

Yellowallison

Fo Once YEALLAR aint got much to say after reading the last 2-3 pages of than........I AGRRE WITH EVERYTHANG (HARRY and TYNER) said and (TIS) jus be careful bruther :beer:

ziemer

This is the same thing about how they say a Xb2003 want run over 107 but I have seen them run 102 in the 1/4 with a 22.
Big difference here...Anything over 105 in a 2003 hull needs a bunch of power. I would kill to see 106 in mine, but anything short of a drag motor I don't think it'll do it. :beer:

Casey G

Big difference here...Anything over 105 in a 2003 hull needs a bunch of power. I would kill to see 106 in mine, but anything short of a drag motor I don't think it'll do it. :beer:
I honestly wonder why that is since a V-21 will run low teens with a strong 2.5?

jay j

As far top end on the abote talmadge fitzsimmons made multiple passes
in unlimited at 130 plus, made the statment that it was all he could hold
and i think 1.87 with a 26, but he was in some company, also his boat was
a medium layup(greg berry ol boat) also on the squeeze. As for the triad
it is a flatter boat from bottom to top(2 inches) take the whole length
of the boat by that and it adds up to alot smaller hole pushing thru the air.

bigtis

As far top end on the abote talmadge fitzsimmons made multiple passes
in unlimited at 130 plus, made the statment that it was all he could hold
and i think 1.87 with a 26, but he was in some company.
Talmadge was set up for dragging and not top ending during these situations right?

Larry D

I know for a fact that Garrell's unlimited set up has been over 130, running a couple hundred feet further then the 1/4. he said didn't know why eveyone saying the boat can't do it cause it drives like a dream. i know if he was 30 years younger he would try the top end stuff. but as you age it an't that important anymore. later Larry D

racerx

My say is the xr1 is faster then the xr2,on the big end,i raced Gohr all season at Blarneys island,we were the same weight(i think}same motors,i had a 12 inch mid,to his 15,20 pitch props,he would usally get me on the take off,but i could real him in and pass him on the big end,and this was week after week of running..