highest XB21 safe speed

Darth VMAX

VERY Curious to see the answers to this question.

I have yet to hear of anyone ringing out a 2+2 or BasSport PRO. Just a Prosport.

I am sure folks have, just havent seen/heard anything.

allimax

So how fast do you guys think is "fast enough" to not have to worry about the average Ranger, Skeeter etc.?:relax:

resqu-u

:razzIf Rich "Ali Rush" gets 2 seater and hangs that 280 on there I think we'll find out LOL. Agree with Jared on the 78ish, not to many pop out running anywhere near the 80's. Here's a simple formula to find out how fast they go.
Big name boat + 300hp/3() - 30 = 70mph :LMAO: most of the time.....

K.Kiser

I thinks it's just one of those subjective things that is determined by opinion of what is "fast" and what is "safe"...

2003225X

From the very little time I have driving one I don't think I would feel "safe" pushing one more than mid 80s. It is too big of a boat to run over 90... it was never designed to do that. Just like the XB2003 was never designed to run over 100mph.

To much boat= to much down force when trying to run faster than it wants to go.

"Safe" means different things to everyone. Personally, I think if you are going to run one more than 65-70mph you are getting into the zone when things start happening real fast.

biller31

I have had mine to 92.3 mph on the ragged edge empty with virtually no skeg in the water with stock 250xs. Easily repeatable. Sam Nelson was pushing 99-100+mph with his 2+2 empty and a 300x before he stuffed his into an unseen roller and wound up in a halo for 3 months. How fast we've been is not the point of this expository.
Also... fast enough to beat a (insert brand here) cookie-cutter boat is not the point of this question either. I can already smoke any of those. Not the point of this inquiry at all.
Here is the point: Lets say that you had enough horsepower (We'll just say 500hp on a 500lbs motor to get all notions of sanity or reality out of this equation) to run it with a full skeg, nosecone a little below the pad, water pressure adjusted, and you have a plethora of props to test with.... Where is the hypothetical limit to what an XB21 can run without getting completely uncontrollable in perfect water with all other variables factored out?

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

:razzIf Rich "Ali Rush" gets 2 seater and hangs that 280 on there I think we'll find out LOL. Agree with Jared on the 78ish, not to many pop out running anywhere near the 80's. Here's a simple formula to find out how fast they go.
Big name boat + 300hp/3() - 30 = 70mph :LMAO: most of the time.....
:big grin:big grin

Alli-drenaline Rush

Prolly low 80s max for cookie-cutter. Best I've done with my Ranger 521 is 74 lite and running on fumes (but in all honesty the mota was maxed at 5200 rpm with a 27 Trophy). Buddy with a Skeeter / 300xs claims mid 80s..... Only real competition IMO will be from other Ally drivers, Bullet drivers and Stroker drivers....

resqu-u

Ben, I'm not sure your going to get a true number here. I think the envelope has been pushed more than enough times to give those types of numbers on the little ally's and the xb03 but not in the bigger boats with 3L engines. You might be climbing out into uncharted waters. You live close enough to the Allison's to get help with setup as well as all of the guys in the Watts Bar gang. Strap up, helmet up and tell us what she's got. I'm sure many other want to know as well. Be safe Shane

whipper

I think I get your question maybe? For example. Im my GS 225 I can run 80-84 any time, any were, rough calm or indiferant.:big grin I can hook and save her, jump a wave and not be sacred {well a little} and take my foot off the gas at 80. At 85-90+ things must be a little more controled. I need to know I have good water with no waves. I need to have less wind and if i hit a big wave I would crap myself.:big grin So For me 80 is a very very safe speed with a 25 or 26 pitch prop. Quike up and down no problem.
So with your larger craft and bigger motor. A prop that allows persition quikeness and reduction of speed and tops out reasonable.
Ill bet with your hull and a 250XS what ever a 28 pitch 3 or 4 blade tops you out in rpm is the one for safest speed. Quike up and fast down when ya need to. Thats the key for me how fast back below 60mph were shes just doddling:]

Last edited:

Bobalouie

Darris told me one time that 10 mph below the limit of one of his hulls is the upper limit of the safe zone. So, if your rig runs 92 mph anything up to 82 would be considered safe. He said its the last 10 mph or so that gets people in trouble. If your asking what the theoretical top speed of the big boats are, I am not sure. I think they will run with the bullets, but not with the strokers in an all out top end war.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I agree with your thoughts on the XB21's vs the Bullets and Strokers. Seems liek the Strokers when rigged with BIG hp have at least 5 perhaps 10 mph on everyone else...

2003225X

Darris told me one time that 10 mph below the limit of one of his hulls is the upper limit of the safe zone. So, if your rig runs 92 mph anything up to 82 would be considered safe. He said its the last 10 mph or so that gets people in trouble. If your asking what the theoretical top speed of the big boats are, I am not sure. I think they will run with the bullets, but not with the strokers in an all out top end war.
I agree 100% with that statement. Anytime you try to see the very last little bit out of it you can run into trouble quick.