highest XB21 safe speed

Allyfishing

Just my $.02, but i think the 21 is just too heavy of a boat for a 3 blade over-hub prop. Sure, it might put up a nice number if you strip the boat for that purpose, but once you add some weight to the boat I just don't think it'll carry the load.
YOu're right Neal, he did say that as well, I forgot that part. He told me the Pro Et 4 blade will carry a load better but not near as fast.

atcje

I've posted 93 in my 2+2/250xs with a 32 ET, running solo, full tourny load, full cooler, 1/2 tank of gas, all seats installed, trolling motor on it, all three batteries, extra gallon of oil, cleaning supplies, docking bumpers, full (large) tool box, 5 life jackets, 15 rods, etc, etc. And that was running up the red river at shreveport. I have ran 91.5 with a 28 bravo1, same load. I have ran 85 for long distances with the 28 same load and with 4 in the boat. I have never ran the boat unloaded. All these speeds are absolutely maxed out.

My opinion is the biggest limitation is the driver, then its the prop. My 28 Bravo feels very safe and very predictable up to 90 and some change. The 32 ET did not feel nearly as safe and seemed to have a mind of its own and certainly was more affected by other conditions,(water conditions, wind, etc) but it would carry the boat faster.

With nothing but ballist, driver, running batter, (no TM) in the boat, I do not feel there is a stock motor/gearcase combo on the market that will push the xb21 hull to its max speed potential. I believe an empty 21 hull/300xs combo with the cut gearcase, 32p properly modified Bravo1 or a 32 XOB Hydro will run to and over 100 with ease and safely. Beyond that you will be into the limitation of the motor and or the prop but not the hull.

GotMyAlly

In my opinion, the 21 hull has a lot of stern lift. That's great for carrying a load. But for all-out top end, if the hull continues to lift more and more as speed increases, the azz end eventually gets lifted out of the water....no more prop bite.....around you go. With unlimited horsepower, you may be able to drop the motor down to compensate. But if you're going to try to see what the limit is, I'd keep stern lift in mind. I'd want a prop with as little as possible, since the hull has more than enough built into it already. And maybe even take a little stern lift out of the hull, to keep it planted when you get into the trips.

ally2dextreme

safe is driver dependent,ive seen guys in 02s that scare the **** out of me at 80 mph lol......The 21 will do 100 mph safely in the right hands

Darth VMAX

IMO, a 300x would be the fastest motor on the 21, even though the 300xs has more displacement. I remember 104.xxx was achieved in 2005 with a 300x/ProSport combo. Not sure if a stock xs could do that. I always thought one of Waynes 380 hp Yamaha's would push a XB21 to new numbers.

But, sounds like you have something special up your sleeve and am looking forward to what you got.

Last edited:

ally2dextreme

TH didn't Patrick run over 100 mph in one with a 300 ProMax?
Yea we ran 101.8 with both of us sitting up front with a fishing load on a short run in Docs boat.I wish i could get a 21 with a removable prosport style console,we picked up almost 5 mph just taking the windshield off.About 95-96 mph it felt like an elephant set on the bow lol,i convinced them to take the windshield off and we ran the 101.8..Thats the issue with the grandsport at high MPH,to much air pushing the bow down,same as the SS. We nned a blow out panel in the bow lol

biller31

So........how much HP do we have to work with????????
Not sure. This a slow project that just got a major financial setback. Also to make matters worse I'm having to have my rotator cuff completely repaired 3/14/13 which sidelines Me for 6 to 8 months. But. We'll find out. Also bought a new boat too. Gatortrax 1854hd hybrid with everything!

Last edited:

skewby

ben does that mean i need to haul you around the lake when you come for the rally? i'll make sure to keep plenty of refreshments as well as some pie so you can self medicate....

GotMyAlly

If you're trying to reach a specific number, say 100 MPH, I think it's safer hit your goal with more HP. A 250 running for 100 will be running on the ragged edge, jack plate ran sky high, trim bumped to the max trying to get every last bit of boat out of the water. But put 300+ HP on the same boat and running for that same 100 MPH number, may do it with a little more conservative jackplate height and a little less trim because of the additional HP.