highest XB21 safe speed

2003225X

That's smoking for that hull and motor Neal. Stay safe!

Was that with the 30 OT?

catfish123

The "highest safe speed" may be the highest speed you have ever personally achieved without a catastrophic event, at least that is what many of us think. For that moment, that is your highest safe speed. In the future, your highest safe speed may be redefined by a catastrophic incident. After that incident, your highest safe speed will become painfully obvious to have been less than you were going on that day....:help

whipper

The "highest safe speed" may be the highest speed you have ever personally achieved without a catastrophic event, at least that is what many of us think. For that moment, that is your highest safe speed. In the future, your highest safe speed may be redefined by a catastrophic incident. After that incident, your highest safe speed will become painfully obvious to have been less than you were going on that day....:help

:big grin good points :big grin

biller31

You're All Still Missing My Point! Lets change it again: If I strap 1000HP nitrous screaming 500lbs. monster power capable of pushing anything 200+mph through the water where does the XB21 have to be stopped before catastrophe?

Another example: Many of the drags taht we watch at the races could keep building speed if they stayed in the throttle past 800 feet but they know not to because if they just let the speed keep building it would eventually turn loose. Many of them know where the "turn loose" point is on their hulls. Now the ratio some of them run is 450HP to 600lbs of boat which is the equivalent of a 1000HP motor on a 1500lbs boat. But... since there has never been a 1000HP motor strapped to an XB21 where is that limit for this hull?

2003225X

No one knows because no one has ever pushed one far enough to wipe out and get hurt...

If you would like to be the one to do that, go for it. We will subtract 2-3 mph from the speed you were able to obtain when that happened and say that is the "safest" speed one will run.

whipper

Didnt some one with a 300XS rub out over 100 a couple years back? Lots say it was a young sales man. He never had the experiance to drive that fast? i get it now. :gasp:laughing

You could always give one to Shook for a few months with a Simon 300 or a Bush 300 OMC. He could find the limmit.:big grin

Bobalouie

You're All Still Missing My Point! Lets change it again: If I strap 1000HP nitrous screaming 500lbs. monster power capable of pushing anything 200+mph through the water where does the XB21 have to be stopped before catastrophe?

Another example: Many of the drags taht we watch at the races could keep building speed if they stayed in the throttle past 800 feet but they know not to because if they just let the speed keep building it would eventually turn loose. Many of them know where the "turn loose" point is on their hulls. Now the ratio some of them run is 450HP to 600lbs of boat which is the equivalent of a 1000HP motor on a 1500lbs boat. But... since there has never been a 1000HP motor strapped to an XB21 where is that limit for this hull?
Too many variables to figure that out.

SmallJaw

I know my boat has been up to a bit over 95 before. The top speed is still on the gps. That was some time ago according to the owner I bought it from. I don't think this boat will ever get to 90 again as long as I'm able to pull the kill switch!HA!:laughing

Allyfishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvKFRIF--jc

Ben, I found this video a little over a year ago and I called that Marine dealership to inquire on the prop he's using. I was trying every prop I could at the time and the guys claims he was at the 100 mark a few times with the Lightening ET. He said he's run Allisons a long time and been over 100 many times in that boat.

I do get your point of what you are asking. XB2002's have run some ridiculous speeds with 300 drags on them and I'm not just referring to a quick 800 foot run. I don't know if Darris ever intended a 300 on an XB2002 but its been done with speeds over 120+. (From what I've read)

Neal just posted 95.6 on his ProSport with a 250XS and I'm sure it has a bit more.

XXXR2001

No matter what number you come up with, someone will prove it to be wrong!

What's the max safe speed for an XR2001? Nobody can tell you that because I don't think it's ever been reached. The safety limit is more related to the speed at which the boat can be slowed down:gasp, not it's max speed. I bet the xr2001 is capable of going over 150mph......but could it be safely stopped from that speed?

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

No matter what number you come up with, someone will prove it to be wrong!

What's the max safe speed for an XR2001? Nobody can tell you that because I don't think it's ever been reached. The safety limit is more related to the speed at which the boat can be slowed down:gasp, not it's max speed. I bet the xr2001 is capable of going over 150mph......but could it be safely stopped from that speed?
Reminds me of the old pilots' saying.... "Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory!" LOL

K.Kiser

I asked an old veteran outboard racer from the 70's and 80's a question when I was a teenager, he was accomplished in drags/ closed course/ marathon races... I asked how fast a Laser 380 could go (which is what his old closed course and later on his river marathon race boat was).. He shrugged his shoulders a bit stated " if you put enough HP on a brick, you'll have a fast brick "..

This just brings to light the subjectiveness of the conversation... There are more limitation related to HP, set-up, and driver than the hull itself -- IMO

whipper

I'd never heard that saying but I love it. It applies to about any type of motor sport. :cool

Yes I like it to. Great saying!!

Well cats out of the bag:] It only took us 4 pages to figger out what Biller meant.:LMAO:

Ideologically as mentioned the XR top safe speed not being reached and all. One can say that about the XB21 also. Some might use the hole bunched in the air as the main argument? I like the Jumbo Jets size hole argument. Thats a big 4 story hole yet they have no problem being as fast or faster than most sleeker looking hulls.
So without a wind tunnel to see the foot print and how to shape things with maybe angle of attach its trial and error. Hmmm So its down to power,Setup and balls in other words.:beer: Sounds like fun. Oh dollars are going to be needed also. But in the end a very close estimate and it will be over 100 will come to light. Great thread and Question Biller. It would be nice to hear of a little trick or setup that makes higher speeds real and safe for you guys with XB21,s

Lotus 50

I think the safe speed depends upon HP. With more HP, you don't need the engine as high or to be trimmed to the edge. The -10 mph applies perfectly to my boat. 80 is safe and sane, but high 80's is a different deal. I think with another 100 HP (easily done as I have a lightly modified 150) I could do a 'safe' 90, if there is such a thing.

GotMyAlly

Ben, I found this video a little over a year ago and I called that Marine dealership to inquire on the prop he's using. I was trying every prop I could at the time and the guys claims he was at the 100 mark a few times with the Lightening ET.
Just my $.02, but i think the 21 is just too heavy of a boat for a 3 blade over-hub prop. Sure, it might put up a nice number if you strip the boat for that purpose, but once you add some weight to the boat I just don't think it'll carry the load.