How do others describe your boat?

njj502

I had the DNR guy once too... But I don't have any stickers in it, HP or the weight/passenger sticker which he could have pinched me on. In IL they go by weight not so much HP. They don't ticket for 'overpowering' in IL. Guy was cool about it and asked if I could even get the sticker and I said sure, just need to call Bill at the factory. Ok, so how fast is it? Hahaha

suicidealli

I got pulled over once at an outdoor concert. Jimmy buffet. At the time I had an alien cowl and It had 2.5 drag on on it.. They came right over as soon as I anchored.. First thing they asked how long is the boat.. I told them 20'2" he asked what the max hp was. I told them it was unlimited being over 20'. He didn't like that.. Then they wanted to check the cooler for alcohol. Lol they gave me a warning ticket because they couldn't read my registration paper work.. I guess it got wet. Damn ohio water patrol. In ohio if there is alcohol in the boat and you get pulled over it is mandatory breathalizer for the driver, or off you go.. They have been cracking down on the ohio river big time the last couple years.

njj502

I'm glad they are cracking down but that seems a bit extreme. There are too many freaking drunks out there now giving us all a bad name.

allimax

I was checked last year but only for the usual fishing license, life jackets, etc. I don’t remember if he asked how long she was, I guess he probably did, never asked anything about what was hanging off the back and the cowl on mine doesn’t advertise it. I never even saw DNR once this year maybe due to cut backs. I think I’ve been stopped once every year for the last 20 to check for all the usual stuff. These guys take the drinking and boating thing serious and they’ll lock you up just like you where driving a car. (It amazes me how many people don’t seem to realize this). I’ve seen the DNR guys more than once with the big binoculars out scoping out the bars and waiting for someone to start across the lake. The young DNR guy last year couldn’t get enough of “how nice my boat was”. Those goggle eyes always makes one feel good.

Last edited:

Speedman

well the comments have gotten fewer since I bought my 02 in 1995. when I first got it, I heard 'wow, that looks sexy" "wow that looks fast!" after fishing the old Bassin America trail, my non memebers would always tell their Ranger buddies that my boat rides MUCH better than theirs"-- "fast boat, but I bet it doesn't handle the rough water" I got sick of responding to that one. Thye nicknamed it "challenger" when I blew up the first 200 rat motor that was on it. The I came back with a 97 225 promax and their jaws dropped as now I was in the mid 90's. Then there was the constant arguing with tourney directors over the HP tag but there was another guy with an inboard Ranger with a small block in it so I said if he can fish without a HP tag, so can I- I am doing nothing illegal!

Speedman

oh and now I get " how old is that?" I say its a 94, 19 years old and they reply " it looks like new!" Now alot of guys are running high 79's to low 80's so it takes a little more to catch them but I still do. Then at the end of day when my groupies are hanging out after we win a tourney, they start taking a close look and my favorite thing to do is to tell them that I have run this boat in the 90's for 18 years and I bet they can't find one small gel crack anywhere on the boat! They CAN'T!! then I go over to their 2 year old Ranger or Champion and see many cracks!

hooken203

I get the "How fast is it." Over and over. But the best one I have heard is "Wow its a tri hull I havent seen one of those in years".

D THERIOT

WHEN IM AT THE GAS STOP AND GET ASKED THE ''HOW FAST DOES THAT THING GO?'' QUESTION, I SAY, I CAN GET IT TO 98, BUT THEM MY TRUCK SHUTS DOWN. THEN THEY HAVE THE DUMB LOOK ON THERE FACE!!! LOL!!:laughing:laughing:laughing

BigCountryx

How fast is it?
Will it outrun a Bullet?
Will it outrun a Gambler?

Man that thing is clean.
Wish I could afford a boat like that. (Knowing I paid less than he did for his 18' Xpress w/ the 115)

They are never ever satisfied with the number I give. They always want to hear that it'll run 100. Anything less is a disapointment to them. They talk about how their buddy has a Triton (insert any boat here) that runs 90. I tell them to make sure he doesn't change anything because that thing is dialed in, lol.... If they keep on, I usually tell them that I'm always amazed at how many 90 mph boats I come around running 75...... They usually shut up.

champ198

Like others, I get the "how fast will it go?" question 100% of the time. I actually try to avoid it because it's a trap.

I've been leading off by responding to that question by saying, "I don't know, 80 or so, she'll scoot, but it sure rides better in rough water than that Champion I used to have" and that my friend shuts down the "I bet it doesn't ride good" comment that's on the tip of their tongue. It totally blows their Ranger kool-aid drinking minds. They can't compute that a fast hull can ride better than their dumbed down, slow heavy hulls.

fishnfireman

The most common question is --How fast ??? My response...I don't know, Can't find a big enough prop..
Best one ever.. was at a gas station...Bubba gives it the once over, then proclaims--Dam that thang ain't got much wind protection with that short windshield..I said yer right bout that... Dang near blew my cowboy hat off today.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Most people ask, "What's that hole in the back?" When I tell them its the drain the conversation is usually over.

flatout

One of the more ominous comments I remember is when I asked a buddy of mine, Mike Seburn if he wanted to go for a ride in my 2003. He commented "I'm not getting in that death trap!" He was killed that year after being ejected out of a Triton he was thinking of buying he was test driving. It got into a real bad chine walk and all three were ejected into the frigid fall waters of Lake of Bays in late October. He didn't have a floater suit and didn't make it to shore.

Yes the most frequent comment I get is "How fast will it go? When I tell them "over 90" they say with big astonishment "Miles an hour? (most kids were raised in KMH in Canada) I say yes miles an hour and they look at me with raised eyebrows and say "nice!"

A lot of people comment on the headlights. "I thought it was a car coming in across the lake" one guy said. I was out walleye fishing and coming into the launch after dark. It sure is a great to be able to see the launch after dark

bc's xtb21

One of my favorites was when I was buying gas on my way to a tournament and a guy came up and ask me about my boat.he was clearly on a very high mental plateau nautically speaking.lol. He informed me he had never heard of an Allison boat and asked me how fast it would go I told him I had had it in the low nineties with just me to which he replied that's NOTHING, my tournament partner has a new stratos that was running 98 but then he changed cams in it for more duration and it will run 115. I fought back laughing in his face and said man that's hauling on water, I hear changing cams in those two strokes really wakes em up. As my grandpa use to say "it's scary some of the folks that are running loose out there..."

allison8503

Iv gotten to where I tell them at the gas station the drag will run 140 to150 lol. Because they don't understand what it really takes to make one run 100-110 MPH in 660 feet! Back when I had my XB 02 they used to say "you can't many fish running 100 MPH" my response would be " I can catch just as many at 100 as you do at 50"!

rmills280

kills me when I pull up to the dock or gas station with my ss and I get you catchin any