I did it.......

GotMyAlly

I cut 4.5" off the skid plate. Shortened it so it's flush with the transom. RA thinks it'll kill my holeshot.........we'll see.

GotMyAlly

I can feel the water pushing up on the plate and up on the back of the boat at times. Like running in chop, I can feel the plate clipping the peaks. It pushes the back up and the nose down. It's worse when running with more positive trim, like when the boat is loaded a little heavier, etc. I can see it being a problem if the boat gets a little out of shape, as in pushing the nose down before the boat takes a set. I think with a light load in slick water, it would probably never get wet. But I think by shortening it a little, it will catch less water.

RedAllison

I think it probably is safer when running WFO, especially with 3.0s but I just think that much removed is gonna hafta have an affect on several things, namely: holeshot, lessons the surface area that "cleans up/removes" the water from the jackplate at holeshot and what I'd consider the most important, holding the arse end up at low speed in extremely rough water.

BUT Neal is young, single and all about hot nasty speed where my old, fatazz is mostly concerned with having the most comfortable bass boat available. :razz
RA

GotMyAlly

What I removed was about 1/4 of the overall length. So I still got 3/4 of the plate to get it up on plane.

The WFO safety factor is what i was goin' for. If I'm a split second slower off the line but it keeps my arse in the drivers seat goin down the river, I'll take that trade off.

Plus the torque from the 3.0L and the X-OB shouldn't need as much skid plate to get up as the 2.5 with an OT. I'll pop in a couple PVS plugs if it induces a little more slip.

I'll put the GoPro camera on the transom and get some video of it running at the rally and see just how the water flows.

Allyfishing

Neals got a point but I still gotta see this! Can't wait to hear the outcome. And I sure wish that I was that tuned into my boat that I could "feel" and "distinguish" each cause and affect while running. Now that's impressive!

Meyers

Neal...I am can't wait to hear/see your results. I have the transducer mount from Allison for my Lowrance on the skid plate and after your concerns I did put a grease pencil on the transducer and the skid planner.

I ran it one afternoon in a thursday night TX, with a nasty 2-3' SE seabreeze chop, with the motor at positive, neutral and negative trim during the tx and when I looked at the grease marks, all were still solid lines. I think it is a big help in the rough stuff and driving in the 40-60 mph range.

As far as all out running, I have not had a concern about it causing interference. My brother and I were making our first run of the morning in a tx and when I came out of Dunn's Creek into Crescent Lake (same lake that Shook set the record) and it had just enough of a ripple to make it run right...the lake is 13 miles long from top to bottom and I need to shift my hips about halfway through...when I did, the boat moved about a foot to the right and I think that if it was causing interference it was have shown itself at that point. I was running a Lee Sanderson/Robbie Patterson FnR that morning about 87-89, it was my back up as I cracked my new prop the day before. I knew the prop was not the best for the boat (both told me that it probably would not last) and when I came back into Dunn's Creek on the way back I went through the 180 degree turn and when I put my foot back into it I slung part of a blade on it.

Like I said, I hope that it gives great results as most of us have not tweaked our set ups and I think we have plenty of gains left in these hulls.

bigtis

I agree with Neal!!!! I had the same problems he's referring to. The only way for me to get rid of the problem was to do as Neal has done. or MOVE the plate further from the water. It does great at low speeds but touches the water at WOT and deflects the water going to the case, therefore making it handle very Ill on the big end....ESPECIALLY with +trim.

Since Neal can't get the plate any higher on the boat the only thing to do is shorten the plate. YOU will not regret it Neal!!!!

catfish123

Go ahead and do it Neal and while you're at it....sand all the lip off your pad.........that will totally confirm to all that you feel you are smarter than Darris...LMAO.........J/K

GotMyAlly

Go ahead and do it Neal and while you're at it....sand all the lip off your pad.........that will totally confirm to all that you feel you are smarter than Darris...LMAO.........J/K
I'm not ready to go there yet.

Change one thing at a time........

Next is gearcase work.

jimbob88

I am 1 of many that are interested in any change of setup. Does this change negative affect of too much setback from pad, not sure. Let's watch & learn. Gotta learn new tricks with my future boat!

GotMyAlly

I've been running with the shortened plate all week. Best change I've made to my setup to date. Takes a little tail lift out and carries the bow over wakes better. I haven't felt the sensation of the trailing edge catching the water all week. As far as holeshot goes, I didn't put a stopwatch too it but I couldn't tell any noticeable difference in holeshot time but maybe the bow rises just a little more before it comes down and goes.

Meyers

I've been running with the shortened plate all week. Best change I've made to my setup to date. Takes a little tail lift out and carries the bow over wakes better. I haven't felt the sensation of the trailing edge catching the water all week. As far as holeshot goes, I didn't put a stopwatch too it but I couldn't tell any noticeable difference in holeshot time but maybe the bow rises just a little more before it comes down and goes.

Neal...were you running light since you were at FastPass or did you keep all your fishing stuff in it? I wonder what it will do on (taking off) the first run of the morning with the gas tank full or with over half a tank of gas and the livewell full? Glad that it is been a good mod!!

GotMyAlly

There was still 20+ rods in my rod locker. I did take my striper box out because it probably weighs 30 pounds with all the 2 OZ jigs, but I wasn't running a stripped boat. There was still 2 speaker boxes under the front deck that are heavier than most peoples tackle. I had better than 3/4 tank of gas every morning. I had a FULL cooler in the back left compartment. And a 25 lb shot bag that I moved around as needed for ballast. I also ran it several times with 3 adults in the boat.

Allyfishing

That sounds like tournament load to me. And you do not get that feeling of the back end catching water? Do you feel it will allow you to run higher and or more trim or just that you will be more stable at the settings you run WOT plus MPH now?

BTW, nice running at the rally. the vids were really cool. Nice smooth running at 87 plus MPH! Didn't Duane have his boat with him??

GotMyAlly

No, Duane's was in the shop so he was riding with me.

I ran 92.7 at about 6050 RPMs with a 28" X-OB
and 93.3 at about 5850 RPMs with a 29" X-OB

I don't think you can run any higher on the jackplate with the skid planer cut, but I think you could trim more without the planer catching water but for top end speeds flatter is better as long as you aren't dragging keel. It does feel safer now. I ran across boat chops at speed several times and it never got stupid. Feels more like my old 03 now.