I did it.......

GotMyAlly

Would be interesting to see if yours is getting wet at WOT. I figured the 03 plates were elevated higher above the pad. I guess that's the first one I've seen up close.

bigtis

The way it mounted I had to vee the plate at the rear for the engine to tuck in completely. At approx. 100 mph it would drive the bow over and start porpoising, I ended up cutting 3" off the rear to cure the problem and ran it for several years in the 104-106 range in the 1/4 mile. Guess what I'm saying is that the faster you go the more set up time it takes.

Lee
That's exactly what I had to do for it to work flawlessly Lee. I had to notch the back for the gearcast to not touch it, and I had to notch it at the front to get it as close to the boat as possible.

Allyfishing

Bob,

As someone more or less stated, most of Darris's testing was with a 200 xs which was the engine he perfered everyone to use for maximum fuel economy and still run with or faster than 99% of the big boats with 250's. I believe the fastest he ever tested was with an 225 X that we played with at the plant for a few days which ran in the 86-87 mph area as I recall, the planer didn't have any ill effects at those speeds.
As a matter of fact, Darris had never even ridden in a 3.0L powered XB-21 until we did the BasSport Pro testing with Tiger in Fl.
Believe it or not the 200 xs had a better hole shot with less bow lift than any of the 3.0L engines that are running 1.62:1 gear ratio's.

Lee

Lee
Glad to see you came in with some real comparisons and input on what I was asking in this post awhile back: http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=11153

Your thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

And I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this post.

Neal, I have my Contour camera setup to record the transom/skid planer so as soon as I can get a chance to run I'll post the video of it. How bout your view on the 2 pics you posted of the transom while running? I'm curious.

GotMyAlly

The 2 pics I posted tell me that the water coming off the back of the boat is cleaner with the shorter plate. The water off the full length plate looks more turbulent to me. I actually ran the camera in video mode, and just grabbed a couple screenshots. The videos were pretty boring but one thing I did see in the videos is that when crossing boat wakes with the full length plate, the back of the plate slapped the water and sprayed water out to the sides. I could have done a better job on camera angles. I would have liked to seen the gearcase. And up under the jackplate to get a fuller view of the rear of the plate. I think next time I will add a couple more lengths to the arm on the suction cup mount to move it back and over just a little more. But with what I got there, I think cutting the plate did exactly what I expected.

Allyfishing

The 2 pics I posted tell me that the water coming off the back of the boat is cleaner with the shorter plate. The water off the full length plate looks more turbulent to me. I actually ran the camera in video mode, and just grabbed a couple screenshots. The videos were pretty boring but one thing I did see in the videos is that when crossing boat wakes with the full length plate, the back of the plate slapped the water and sprayed water out to the sides. I could have done a better job on camera angles. I would have liked to seen the gearcase. And up under the jackplate to get a fuller view of the rear of the plate. I think next time I will add a couple more lengths to the arm on the suction cup mount to move it back and over just a little more. But with what I got there, I think cutting the plate did exactly what I expected.
Yeah, I noticed the more turbulent water as well. I figured that is what you were trying to show.

I'll have my camera mounted on the E-Ladder bottom rung and hanging down pointed toward the planer area. I attached it in the garage and turned it on for a few seconds to see what the view will be like and I think it will show a good angle. I'll tie a cord around it as well as a "just in case"!! Hopefully the hole shot will not push it out of alignment, that's a lot of force.

whipper

18ftSWITZER.....WOW I LIKE IT!! You gota have the biggest ball on an Allison Ive seen. I just bought two more smaller ones Ill try and cram in there. Thats the ticket though. You must really notice it at rest,with a load and taking off.

On the planner pics.. you sure can see more solid water in the one streaming by. The other one is very airated. Great shots!! Who did the pay to hang back there at speed to take those!!:twisted evil

GotMyAlly

The camera was suction cupped on this time, but I have had Andy lay on the back deck of my old boat to eyeball the tip of the nosecone in relation to the surface of the water!

18ftswitzer

18ftSWITZER.....WOW I LIKE IT!! You gota have the biggest ball on an Allison Ive seen. I just bought two more smaller ones Ill try and cram in there. Thats the ticket though. You must really notice it at rest,with a load and taking off.

[/IMG]
I definatelty notice a difference, but I'm going to try and lower the ball so it is touching or almost touching the skid planner and add more air. I have a few of them, so I'll watch the pressure and if it pops I'll go a little lower psi with the next.

Allyfishing

Well, so much for the camera case being waterproof down to 33'!! LOL!!! :banghead I reached down after a run to turn the camera off and it didn't look quite right. I removed it from the bracket and there was water in the case surrounding the camera. :gasp

Now to try to get it replaced and prove it was the case and not negligence on my part. :punch

Allyfishing

It just snaps shut!! Not rocket science!! LOL!!

SLOmofo, do you have a Contour? I was not real impressed with the lack of info on the tiny little cards they called "Instructions"!!

whipper

I was not real impressed with the lack of info on the tiny little cards they called "Instructions"!!
If ya could accually read the print is impressive for instructions.:big grin Do we Allison owners read instructions? I always thought we just keep trying till wola thats better.:big grin

SLOmofo

It just snaps shut!! Not rocket science!! LOL!!

SLOmofo, do you have a Contour? I was not real impressed with the lack of info on the tiny little cards they called "Instructions"!!
No I have a Go Pro, used it twice so far. I want a fixture so I can swivel it around, any ideas?
I have it on a ball mount shown here.

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=10842

Also I need some editing software, something WITH instructions I can understand for my feeble mind.

Allyfishing

Slomofo, here's the mount I'm going to buy if my camera gets replaced, keeping my fingers crossed! http://contour.com/products/roll-bar-mount That will be for mounting on the pedestal post.

Whipper, that little piece is $103.00! :gasp I see the top bolt screws into the bottom of a camera but what does the whole thing adapt to? And at that price it better get ya a beer and open it up!!

hemi2005

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!! I need to find one of those before I get this boat into the lake. Cool stuff!! Muchos gracias senior!... No I'm not Mexican.

Allyfishing

I did get to take a few videos with the camera mounted on my E-ladder with the new mount but not at completely WOT runs. The lake was too busy. This was back in September. Probably in the mid 70's though and like Neal said, pretty boring, but lots of turbulence off of the plate. In fact, the rear was actually riding on the plate. But again, like I said, the speeds were in the mid to upper 70's.

hemi2005, do you have a Contour as well??

Allyfishing

I need to watch them again but it looks like the stock plate kept the water flatter til it reached your motor and the cut plate allowed the water to hit the motor higher???

I could still see the ridge of water produced from the outer "V" shape of the plate. Very interesting. These are both on your boat, right?