I did it.......

GotMyAlly

No, the test was done the same day with 2 different boats. The cut plate was on my boat. The stock length plate was on Denver's boat.

I wish I had mounted the camera more out to the side to get a better angle of view around the jackplate......but you get the idea.

GotMyAlly

I need to watch them again but it looks like the stock plate kept the water flatter til it reached your motor and the cut plate allowed the water to hit the motor higher???
I agree with that analysis. Two things i'd draw from that:

-By the stock plate keeping the water flatter til it reaches the motor, that's likely adding drag.

-The cut plate, by allowing the water to rise as it comes off the pad, may allow you to run the motor higher before the prop looses bite.

Jr in Jax

david berry had tyner's old white and red ally drag, and he had an air actuated "spelling" ram on the foil that was tied into a trim computer.
I saw a Hydrostream Vector at the Palatka Drags with a 2.4 that was very competitive with the Allis with 2.5 drags. He was a machinist at Georgia Pacific and built an compressed air ram pushing a trim tab mounted on one side of the transom. He used a small 12V aircompressor to pump it down and a fast bleed solenoid that would raise it as soon as he launched. There was no roll and the boat launched flat each time.

Allyfishing

I agree with that analysis. Two things i'd draw from that:

-By the stock plate keeping the water flatter til it reaches the motor, that's likely adding drag.

-The cut plate, by allowing the water to rise as it comes off the pad, may allow you to run the motor higher before the prop looses bite.

Yes on the first, as well as that fish tail affect you mentioned early on...

And yes, that was my first thought as well, the engine should be able to go up higher.

You're a genius!!!

I'm interested to know now how long your new plate is and also the length of the step on your hull compared to mine. I'll have to go and measure tomorrow.