New allison model

cdaallison

I hope we are talking about $70,000 rigged with a 300 xs. If Allison can keep the price down they will sell a lot of boats. I will buy one if it can handle large lake waves and run 100mph plus with a 300xs. I hope they keep the Allison look (lean and mean).We need a picture. Mike

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Darris said he has had the prototype on top of 2-foot chop at 70 and you could set a glass down and not have it spill. Really good on rough water from what he says.

I too am guarded insofar as having a bit of healthy skepticism; I am just passing along what was said and it DOES actually come from the source, not a magazine or other market-driven hearsay...that makes a difference. When I hear Darris' excitement, that says something and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Mr. Scary

That's great. Like I said, when I see a production model with production interior built to Darris' production specs with a production motor I'll believe it. I'm as big an Allison fan as you're going to get, but after almost killing myself trying to get my first XB2003 to run 96 MPH and then finding out that the motor was a hot Promax and had a Mercury modified ECU, I'm a bit jaded. Test boats don't do much for me either because things that end up in the production boats are different at times whether it's interior, layup schedule, etc. in order to finish them off.

Does the 21' bass boat run over 90 with a stock 225 Optimax? I heard it was in the mid to upper 80s. What prop is he running on the Optimax?

As for the SS as a drag boat, yes....when the SS first came out, they made a drag model in addition to the Comp and Excel. I think they only sold a couple - Darryl Miller (I think that's the gentleman's name) bought one. Lee Sanderson would know him. I had several conversations with Darris when we were a dealer and it was very much promoted as a drag boat that would outrun the XR-2001 by a bunch.

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I'm not sure how a drag ss @ 650# (the lightest one I ever heard of) was ever expected stay with a drag 2001 @ 500#. Except in a much heavier class.

Mr. Scary

The drag comparison was at 1400 lbs which a 600-650 lb. boat could get to with an average weight guy. Again, that's just what Darris told me so I never saw it. I don't believe he was lying...my point is that when I pushed him on the test methods it was only tested over 1000' which leaves out the advantage the XR would have on top end due to aerodynamic advantages it has. When Darris redesigned the XR-2001 in 2001, he put a lot of the tricks from the SS-2000 in it because the SS comes out pretty flat. The 2001 and newer XR-2001s come out a LOT more predictably than the older models and are easier to get up on the pad. That's comparing stock boat to stock boat. A lot of guys have done a lot of work to their older models to make them leave nice and they come out about as good as a stock 2001 and newer XR.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I always heard the magic # was 1600, which at the time was close to lake racer.

Mr. Scary

1600 for the Drag SS? My '98 Excel with the OMC on it with me (230 pounds) weighed 1490. My buddy's Comp (heavier than the drag) with a 260 SS and him (175 pounds) would weigh in under 1400 lbs. They were actually pretty light.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I'll stand by my statement; The ss was never intended to drag against the 2001 in 1600# classes or less. I don't know if anyone has run a comparison but it is probably true. That's the way I always saw it back to 98.

rc211v

Ok enough blah blah! boys who's got pictures !! I just sold my allison because I got tired of waiting for Daris to build this boat. I'm a huge fan and would be ready to own another one in a second. I had to change colors for now! I run a carbon fiber HTM ss-24 now, that will run 100+ in 3 ft chop and have in flight sevice at the same time and lay down 140mph in good water. Not as versitile as a allison but more room too frolic and way more speed. Bimini top goes up and refreshments for the crew. This thread seems to have a abundance of boat buiding knowledge here, and those of you that post, the know it all's please start your own boat company or write to Daris and give him your thoughts! Trying to provide value to customers at a great price is harder and harder, and this labour force is just brutal, try hiring any decent staff, good luck! The overhead manafacters are dealing with is going up every year, a tough racket. At least at allison, htm and other quality manufacters i feel I'm getting value for my money. I'm watching carefully and hope allison will provide us with a product that will service his cliental as they mature and there families grow and meet there ever expanding boating needs. Who knows maybe we can hang the new 5.3l Yamaha on the back with a supercharger! We can only go so fast in the water then we gotta fly these things called boats, who says air and water have nothing in common! In our sport we do both! Daris post pic's and set the record straight! The tribe is restless!!
Walk the Walk boys! talks cheap..
Later