New Mercury 200 XS Consumer Outboard

ally2dextreme

I know but where did the Promax come from? Did mercury make a 248ish HP consumer fishing motor that they added a sportmaster gearcase too? What was it exactly is my question. They should bring back that motor.
It's not epa complaint would be the issue..Our best shot right now would be the 200xs which is close to the power of the promax...

allyfreek

So what is the issue with the existing 200XS ROS on the Mercury Racing website other than that it has no warranty and its price. On the Jaco's website it says you can order this motor with a $6000 non-refundable payment with a April 1st 2016 arrival. My point is if Mercury gets their $6000 financial commitment on a consumer motor from everyone on every motor up front they can produce a batch of motors that are pre-sold and they can't lose and they will really know their buyer base up front before production.

xb03fs

It is only available to race teams from what I was told. But additionally pricing is a HUGE concern, no 20" leg and warranty are the main issues, especially for those of us who would finance some of it....Somewhere between $11,340 and $15,500 with a couple years warranty is where it makes sense 2 with option to buy 2 like all other Mercury racing consumer products is preferable.

175 ProXS $11,340.00 5 years warranty

250 XS $15,500 2 years with option to purchase 2 more, more warranty at no charge at some times of the year

300XS $17,500.00 2 years with option to purchase 2 more, more warranty at no charge at some times of the year

200ROS $20,900.00 (Really?)

GotMyAlly

300 drag never had a warranty, right?

They probably know most buyers in that market are going to run the piss out of that motor.

xb03fs

They have two race versions now, the 7000 rpm 200 ROS and 8,000 rpms 200 SST. Keep the 7000 and 8000 rpm versions no warranty,
Give us a 6,800 rpms warranty version....if they can make it live in the 8,000 rpm version they should be able to warranty a 6,800 rpm version.

FlatOutAlly

300 drag never had a warranty, right?

They probably know most buyers in that market are going to run the piss out of that motor.
AND... the 'minuscule' market is a factor too. This is the real Mother M turning her back on us. Sad, but true. The "building a business case" remark is a facade. It's been run before. Mercury counts their pennies in 1350 and 1650 M8 setups at 300 a pop. We don't even show up on radar any more. Keep stock piling, Dave. I'll call you when I need a powerhead. Your efforts are much appreciated and I will be one of the first in line if you and Mom make it happen.

scj

Not sure how my SHO "somewhat" works for me? I guess 0 to mid 90's in a fully loaded fishing boat in less than 20 seconds isn't fast enough or the fact that with the same prop I can pull a skier up effortlessly and another fact is at 38 mph with the same prop, it gets 6.7 mpg with two people fully loaded. Yeah, it somewhat works.

A 4.2 liter SHO on a 12" Monty Racing mid with a large shaft 2.5 liter sportmaster would weigh under 440 lbs. String steering would save a few pounds as well.............getting rid of the big ugly Yamaha cowl could save 7 to 8 pounds possibly with something a little more performance oriented. I'm in no hurry to power the xr-2002 so we'll see.

ally2dextreme

Not sure how my SHO "somewhat" works for me? I guess 0 to mid 90's in a fully loaded fishing boat in less than 20 seconds isn't fast enough or the fact that with the same prop I can pull a skier up effortlessly and another fact is at 38 mph with the same prop, it gets 6.7 mpg with two people fully loaded. Yeah, it somewhat works.

A 4.2 liter SHO on a 12" Monty Racing mid with a large shaft 2.5 liter sportmaster would weigh under 440 lbs. String steering would save a few pounds as well.............getting rid of the big ugly Yamaha cowl could save 7 to 8 pounds possibly with something a little more performance oriented. I'm in no hurry to power the xr-2002 so we'll see.
You have way way more money in it than a 300x and the 300x is a much better setup than yours. This make believe motor your describing would cost twice what a two stroke merc would cost and be more than 440lbs in the real world

Dave Hensley

"build a business case to support an engine" means not only market analysis but also production/factory analysis (logistics), cost analysis, and wait for it...profitability. It doesn't sound like grabbing some parts from various bins and applying a decal. Any product manager must justify his case to marketing, finance, accounting, HR, upper management, legal dept, regulatory affairs, and the list goes on...

OK. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

xb03fs

The only obstacle is the 200 ros is built in Mercury racing and 175 proxs mids are in wherever their normal production facility is. That stock transfer is what the problem is. Companies hate transferring parts from one facility to another

scj

You have way way more money in it than a 300x and the 300x is a much better setup than yours. This make believe motor your describing would cost twice what a two stroke merc would cost and be more than 440lbs in the real world
How do you know what I have in my set up? If you want a 300x, knock yourself out. Everybody has an opinion and I appreciate hearing and learning from them but don't think you know what's best for me. I'll spend my hard earned money on what I want, not what you or anyone else thinks is "better".

I'm not knocking a 300x at all. It's a beast of an engine, just not what "I" wanted for a bass boat.

Dave, sorry to derail your thread. As far as a consumer 200; I for one have no passion for a 200 hp 2.5 to hang off the back of a new XR-2002. The only benefit of that engine over a 260 or 280 is you could use the smartcraft system and transfer the info into a touch screen so as to have one unit on the dash without all the gauges. A '04 or '05 15" 225x that pushes out 245+ hp would allow the SC system as well but those are rare.

xb03fs

The 2.5 ros is only 8-10 hp less if they don't detune it. They are 238/240 in gen 2 configuration. They add nearly double the fuel economy at cruise and a lot less oil...it is the real deal. Plus the direct injection adds some bottom end punch

Dave Hensley

A 15" 280 in really nice condition right now goes for $12k. Maybe more. In my opinion that is the best choice for a performance boat. Period. A new 15" gen 2 ROS at $23K would be next but I am just not spending that for a motor. Next would be a 15" ProMax and next would be a 15" ProStock style motor with Brucato intake and PCU. Actually the 15" ProMax and ProStock would be a tie.That motor can be built on a a 15" mid for around $10k-$11K with Vertex pistons, turn 8000 rpms and run forever. The extra oil and gas is what it is. The problem is it takes shopping around. Buying a boat and motor just to get the motor. Swapping parts and pieces. Having to advertise and sell leftovers. THAT is going to get worse and thus the cry for help from Mercury. This 2.5 stuff is the best of the best for a 20' Allison until somebody trumps it. That is because in the day people like Darris Allison carried weight with Mercury. Not so much now.

Dave Hensley

Not sure what "same" we are talking about. the 260 was different from the 280 was different from the 300. All the rest had their distinct nuances.

Lotus 50

Different porting in the different engines. Would that have been done with different inserts in the molds? Same outside shape, same bore size and deck height, but I thought the blocks had different part numbers.

michael j giesler

I know but where did the Promax come from? Did mercury make a 248ish HP consumer fishing motor that they added a sportmaster gearcase too? What was it exactly is my question. They should bring back that motor.
Jimmy Hensley help with the pro max back in 1991 think of all the money mercury made with that motor i really think if they do it right they can do it again with the 200ros xs

whipper

I just heard that merc started with the same block for those motors ?. The S3000 had its own casting i heard ? I guess one could say essentially the same in that the blocks for the 175/200/225/260 and 280 were cast from the same mould. All the 2.5's had the same bore centres and 60 degree v angle just porting,tuners ect to make the different horse power.

My point in this was since this was the case whats different with the 200XS to achive a 260 or 280 out of that block. Couldnt you do the same type of chest work, porting ect.. to a 2.5 200xs and achive higher hp and use tuners from a 260 or 280 as a most basic example as i have never done this just asking the Question?

Last edited:

Jr in Jax

From what Chris tells me, the fast guys from south Florida are buying up the Laser Injection 2.5 200's and installing 260 electronics, drag air horns plus opening up the bottom guides. With just a small amount of porting are getting massive quick burst horsepower from them. They can not run long bursts since the steel cylinders do not transfer the heat well enough. When they blow up, they are not out of much money. The 200s have more extensive exhaust porting than the 225s for some reason. Chris just bought Dalton's 127 MPH STV as a toy.