Prop Delema - Grandsport

njj502

Alright want opinions from GS owners.... I'm running a 28 chopper thats developed a very short (1/8 - 1/4") hairline crack out of a ding that was in it. :banghead Its a friends prop and ive offered to buy it cuz i want one worked. Now the question is who to work it and into what? Thinking either an ET or knob cut. Boat is currently set up with about 6" setback but going to 10-12 this winter. Running a 225 ProMax

Thanks
Nick

njj502

Yes that is a valid point.... hmmm ..... I do have a very nice 24" Chopper that's like new but didn't think we could turn that into a 28"....????

jas638

Banned
Alright want opinions from GS owners.... I'm running a 28 chopper thats developed a very short (1/8 - 1/4") hairline crack out of a ding that was in it. :banghead Its a friends prop and ive offered to buy it cuz i want one worked. Now the question is who to work it and into what? Thinking either an ET or knob cut. Boat is currently set up with about 6" setback but going to 10-12 this winter. Running a 225 ProMax

Thanks
Nick

take that prop and hang it on the wall as a conversation piece. make up some crazy story like everyone else does! lol . as far as your boat,at least 10 inches of setback, as far as props on a grand sport? dont waste your seat time running anything but a hoss triton1. 14.5x28. on that boat. best all around best and easiest handling prop on a gransdsport. the et wont do any better top end and will scare the crap out of you let off the gas!i have tried every prop that has been worth trying ,none have compared to the triton.at least on my boat and in my opinion. choppers and et have to much rake angle built into em. hoss built his props for allison factory tests!!!

njj502

General all around use other than sking & tubing. We usually run 3 up and the lil guy is growing. Only 28lbs now but growing like a weed! Want a prop i can use for more or less everything.

xb03fs

Give Todd a call at Hydromotive, he won't steer you rong.

I have 26 & 28 QIV OT they run great on our GS.

Bob
He's tried my 27 and didn't really like it he said. I am wondering if these OT's need setback to run, I know even 1" more going from 12.5 to 13.5 helped a bunch. With 6" I wonder if thats why he didn't like it???

GotMyAlly

Yes that is a valid point.... hmmm ..... I do have a very nice 24" Chopper that's like new but didn't think we could turn that into a 28"....????
I don't think any prop guy could take one up 4" in pitch. I believe about 2" max is about all they can go up or down.

I'd find an un-cracked, unmolested one to send off for a knob cut.

njj502

Nathan, I'm going to try to get that extra plate stacked on this week and get a new hub instert so I can try that OT again. Where the chopper cracked I think would be ground away anyhow if it was turned into a knob cut or a triton style wheel.

Thanks for the input guys.

xb03fs

Nick,

Send a photo to Todd of where the crack is. You are right it may be in an area that gets completely cut away and is a moot point....

njj502

I didn't get one yesterday so I'll have to get one today... or tomorrow... or whenever this monkey called "work" gets off my back.

ziemer

I love my Triton, but a 28" might get a little boring if you still have the stock rev limit. JR in Jax runs a box stock Chopper II 30" and has had great luck with them. He also runs a 225 ProMax.

The Et's run well, and the Drag IV's seem to carry weight really well.

I would definitely get some more set back on there.

njj502

Limiter has been raised to 8 or 8500. I'll never swing it that high but I've got plenty of RPM available. I'm going to get a pic of the crack and send it to Hydromotive & Hoss & see what they say.

TBuck2003

Usually I take off damn near 3/8" of an inch or more from the leading edge for a Knob Cut. Very possible it will work. Send me a pic if I can help...

njj502

Todd, I spoke with Tom earlier and I'm going to get a picture whenever this work stuff slows up a bit. Got a big conference next week with about 200 dealer guys and trying to get presentations done.

njj502

Here's some pix for you guys. Pretty short crack, between a 1/4" and 3/8". Crack is in the biggest ding in first pic

john4utvols

Jc charges 125 to fix cracks and I don't remember any of them cracking again after he fixed it. Jc only lives 40 minutes away so I don't have to pay shipping. If I had to pay shipping I would sure send it to Todd he owns a GS and knows what works on them and im sure he can fix the crack and make a great knob cut out of it.

I have a small hub chopper 26 cut to an et by jc, he still has it putting the cut on it. if you don't want to fix the crack I would sell it for $400 it cost $250 to put the et cut on it.

njj502

I'll prob have Todd fix it and cut it into a Knob Cut. Thanks for the offer on the ET cut. I'll keep it in mind. The more I run the boat the more I don't think I like the chopper on it. It's a bit too flighty when you hit a puff of wind.