Prop Delema - Grandsport

jay j

I have had 3 grandsports all with different motorcombos and a 27 omc srx worked really well as all around and a pretty inexpensive, just dont thin em much.

LakeAnna

Nice, now let us know how it works out for you. When you taking the GS out and do some testing?:twisted evil

njj502

Went out this afternoon and man does it run!! Much better holeshot than a chopper & it feels glued to the water up top. Turned it 6800 without much thought & @ 5% slip thats about 91. Feels like it carrys the boat nice & flat with the a$$ up just right.

LakeAnna

Cool! That's why I been trying to find a 30! I bet it pulls a lot harder than before..

xb03fs

Still 7/8 below or did you get your plate drilled and motor up just curious

njj502

Still 7/8 below or did you get your plate drilled and motor up just curious
Still 7/8 below. Decided not to F with it since in two weeks it'll get cleaned up & put away for the year. Will be building a new 6-7" setback to go on my hyd plate among a few other things.... aaahhhh winter projects.... dunno how you boys down soufff do it...

Nick

LakeAnna

And he's twice as kool as his Shop.....:beer:

We started off on the right foot and I couldn't be more pleased with the results!!

Bob
:cool
Bob just curious on how your boat is running? I think your set pretty much like mine with 12 plate and 225X?

whipper

Still 7/8 below. Decided not to F with it since in two weeks it'll get cleaned up & put away for the year. Will be building a new 6-7" setback to go on my hyd plate among a few other things.... aaahhhh winter projects.... dunno how you boys down soufff do it...

Nick
So what setback are you wanting to end up? Ive tryed 14 for a few years and couple at 12 now. Undecided what I liked better. I think I liked 14 for top end but 12 now for every thing else. Depending on what you weigh and the loads ya normaly cary makes the biggest differance for setback I think. Im heavy so thinking I might try it back at 14 again in the spring. Best way to do it would be to try it both ways the same day with the same prop. Then youll know for sure being fresh in your mind.
At 12 I run a little flat Im thinking with the light promax and me at 235lbs. With an X motor thats a little more weight and if I was 200 or less 12 sounds good. The extra setback helps candelever the hull with a heavier driver or with a passanger. If I had more power like a 260 then I wouldnt need the extra setback as the power is there to carry the hull better. But with a 225 or less more might be better. This also can vary hull to hull to a small extent and the propshaft hights one likes. But there will be a opimum setup for each boat based on driver,Power,weight, gearcase,and prop. 12 is the norm at 1/4 below and what seems to work for most GS owners.

Last edited:

njj502

Thinking I'll go a 12". Not shooting to be the fastest GS out there just reliable & safe. With me, the wife & the kid we're ~380lbs plus a cooler of crap... so ~400 lbs when running. Running a 225 ProMax

ROBERT CROSS

Chris,

I think we've got it set-up pretty darn well for the way we run, two-up with a lot of STUFF.:confused:help

We run usually in the West Niagara River just above the Falls,

and the East end of Lake Erie.

Probably not your typical Allison Water..........

Yep we do have the 12" CMC plate....three measurements marked on the plate, even with the pad, 1/4 above and 1/4" below. (calibrated to dash gauge).

Best speed so far....84.5 with the 26p QIV OT. @ 6400 rpm, even w/pad...
On the Lake... flat calm with hairy roller's.

Love everything about the boat, especially the helpful folks right here...:at the bar

Bob

LakeAnna

Robert have you ever put a 30 on it for some top speed runs? I was up that way this summer for a car show and man Lake Erie is HUGE! We where on the western end of Erie near Sandusky.

ROBERT CROSS

Chris,
The PO had a 30 ET he ran for top end. 94mph.
I tried it once....stayed with the 28 QIV OT Todd set it up with.
Could not get comfortable with the ET....I was warned.

Bob

LakeAnna

Yeah I just picked up a 30 pitch Drag 3 that I hope to run here in a few weeks once I get the boat back. Robbie is cutting my chopper 2 (28) for me and that will be my best all around prop I'm sure.

94 is moving pretty good! I bet there are a few more mph left in it though.:wink

njj502

I ran Nathans 27 OT for a while and really liked it other than I wanted the bow a bit higher. I was knocking on the door of 90 with it. I still need more setback & more height....

xb03fs

you wouldn't necessarily like it with more height and setback then because the farther back you go the higher you run the motor the less trim is needed to make it run. :very happy