Prop Delema - Grandsport

TBuck2003

That will be long gone with the "Knob cut" Make sure it is full 14.5" diameter and you will be good to go. Keep me posted...

xb03fs

Get that extra setback on there and I think you just might find that hydro your borrowing fits like a comfy pair of jeans. If will just feel good.

njj502

Ran Nathans OT over the weekend and really liked it. Did not get to stay in it hard like i wanted. Had lil man and wife in w/ me sat and big wind/boats sun. Gonna try again Thursday.

njj502

Should have the knob cut back Thursday. Need to get the motor taller before I give it a good run... ran out of lift at 7/8" below the boat. Easy fix with a few more holes on the 4" additional plate. Have run nathans ot to upper 80's and it feels pretty good.

Cant wait to try this new one out.

xb03fs

Should have the knob cut back Thursday. Need to get the motor taller before I give it a good run... ran out of lift at 7/8" below the boat. Easy fix with a few more holes on the 4" additional plate. Have run nathans ot to upper 80's and it feels pretty good.

Cant wait to try this new one out.
Could have used the 27 Sunday my 26 was at 7200 rpms when I looked at the tach and figured I better get out of it with a passenger nonetheless. Cool air must add several horses because this summer it was tough to get to 6800

whipper

It will be nice to have that 28 back from todd. Youll probably really like it much better than the straight chopper and good for a couple more years maybe. I like the 26 pitch but ya know ive always felt with the raised rpms aswell that a 27 would be the perfect all round pitch for a promax with a 7300+ limiter. Hole shot mid range and still eek out 90 at 1/4 below to even. I get there with the new to me 28 Darg3 witch feels very similar and looks alot like the knob cut I once had is why I tryed it. Though the 28 has real good everything a 27 will still turn a hundred or more rpm and achieve the same top end with the limiter power. So thats why I feel the 27 3 blade would be the ultimate pitch on my GS with a 225. i would have supreme hole shot,real hard midrange and be able to trim to 7300 or so rpm at 1/4 to even.

the problem after 7200 or so is the 225 stops producing power pretty much and its just trim getting ya stung out anyway. If ya like up to 90 27-28 will work. Even a real good 26 will at a little higher rpm. The 30,s work great to get over 90. So if you always run long distances like JR and not as concerned with drag race type hole shots the 30 would be a good addition.

All in all three props is best. one for neck snapping in the 25-26 range one for all round good everything like the 27-28 and a 30 for over 90mph runs and traveling long distances for better fuel mileage.

The problem with 27 pitch props is there aren't to many used ones ever for sale. But Todd has new ones you can buy. Most manufactures don't sell odd pitched props. Usually up pitch in even numbers. But Todd has most of his models at every pitch.
Pluss hes a pretty good guy who owns a Grand Sport.
:big grin

Pretty sure Todd mostly runs a 27 T3-X on his grand sport with the 260. Because of the raised limiter on your Promax you can have better performance with smaller pitches as do the guys with 260,s. The differance will be they will be still building power long after 7300 rpm as they pull away to over 100mph at over 7500-8000 rpm. You couldn't never pull a 27 to past 8000 with a 225. But you could probably get over 7600-7900 with a 23-24 pitcher. But then you really defeat the purpose of having the PM in the first place witch is good trouble free power for a longer period of time.

whipper

On a side note, A few days ago i was seeing what my old motor had with the new 28. Motors a little down on Comp ready for new life. Pluss Im at high altidue that kills power with thinner air. Anyway! :big grin I was trying to see what jack plate hight worked best. i tryed from 1/4 below a few passes on glass and woked up to 1/4 above. I was holding steady at around 7000 right at 90 not 90.1. :furious I bumped the trim one more time and saw the rpm JUMP to 7200 or 7300 looked the GPS at 87 and I was leaned to the right!! I then was abe to just bump back two and gave her a shot on the jack and slowed my arse down unscathed.:shock: That was close!!!

I then made another pass on glass at around 1/8 below and ran the same speed and RPM pretty much. And felt more planted. i think Ill use this prop at that hight or maybe even for now. Even felt good also.

You could probably pull a 28 3 blade to 7300 were you live and not use as much trim as I did if your promax is fairly fresh.

LakeAnna

Let us know how that prop works for you! Looks to me like the knob cut leaves a little more blad area in the leading edge than a et cut? I know I like the way the chopper 2 works out of the box so a custom cut has got to be a nice runner.

catfish123

Whipper, you are very lucky indeed. On July 14th this year with a "too high" motor height, I wasn't so lucky. I was thrown out of the boat, the boat flipped and landed upside down...........at this point, about $16000.00 in repair bills to boat, motor and another $2000.00 or so repair bills for my leg, which still isn't right. My advice to all on the motor height thing is proceed with caution. There is only one sure way to find out what "too high" is and trust me, you DON'T want to go there.............:help

suicidealli

how is the leg doing bob???
i have turned a few in my day..... never trown out, but sure know a few that have came out, and through the side of one.....
it happens so quick!!!!!!!!! you have turn them atleast a few times to really know when it is coming, and then still it can be a suprise...
i hope your doing well bob...
i always try to tell people if it starts that lean or walk to the right, you are ready to bust your a$$. a lot of time you dont get that warning...

roy

Last edited:

njj502

I'm really looking forward to it. Planning on getting my plate drilled Friday after lunch and going for a ride that afternoon. Will start at 1/2" below like Todd suggested. I thought the chopper was too flighty so I think moving some of the bow lift to the A$$ should help a TON.

whipper

Whipper, you are very lucky indeed. On July 14th this year with a "too high" motor height, I wasn't so lucky. I was thrown out of the boat, the boat flipped and landed upside down...........at this point, about $16000.00 in repair bills to boat, motor and another $2000.00 or so repair bills for my leg, which still isn't right. My advice to all on the motor height thing is proceed with caution. There is only one sure way to find out what "too high" is and trust me, you DON'T want to go there.............:help
Im lucky, heck Bob your very lucky to be telling us about what happen. I never realized how brutal of a spill ya took. I truly hope in time the leg gets more better.

It always seems to happen when ya figure theres that one more mph with that one more bump of the trim.:rolling eyes

catfish123

Thanks James.......good luck in your speed quest, just stay safe. Words cannot describe just how quickly it can go from exhilarating fun to disaster.

ROBERT CROSS

Get it right the first time.....and be careful. :very happy

Bob

LakeAnna

That's a great picture of you getting her tuned... I would say anyone who owns an A-boat has had to spend some time on their knee's. Maybe tuning, praying or just trying to catch your breath... whatever!:big grin

Last edited: