Prop Delema - Grandsport

LakeAnna

Once you get the plate your making for it added you'll be right where you need to be. 12 inch on the GS is pretty much perfect.

njj502

Yeah It'll be nice but just not going to mess with it just a couple weeks before it get's pulled apart for the winter.

Side note, I got a leak on my gearcase and it appears there is water in the oil... guess I may be putting it away early...

Nathan, get rid of them silly 4 blade props. Once you feel the midrange this one has you will never go back!

xb03fs

meet me at Mark Twain this weekend................

njj502

Don't tempt me... the old lady would kill me tho.... been gone so much this past month and I got two supplier visits this month and a cleanup from a 13xx engine rework.... doh!

whipper

Yeah I just picked up a 30 pitch Drag 3 that I hope to run here in a few weeks once I get the boat back. Robbie is cutting my chopper 2 (28) for me and that will be my best all around prop I'm sure.

94 is moving pretty good! I bet there are a few more mph left in it though.:wink

Your going to like the 30 Drag3. Runs pretty much perfict the way it should. My 28 Drag3 I like alot. Real good midrange for a 28 and not all to bad out of the hole. Top end is as per pitch with great manners.

If ya ever get a chance to try a 26 off shore cut from a Mazco re3 youll love it with higher revs. Makes me wonder what a 26 Drag3 might be like in comparessin. Didnt like the Stock et at all on my GS. Not enough lift with a 225 on a GS. Maybe worked with a little cup I dont know? Chopper11,s work just fine but like the drag3 a little better out of the hole and midrange in stock form. Top ends were the same right at 90 in a 28. Gota get my hands on a 30 hoss Triton one of these days. Snowing today but hope to get out a few more times yet.:beer:

njj502

F snow! I've got a 26 britt cut that's been offered to me to use. It kinda looks like a hoss or offshore.

suicidealli

Your going to like the 30 Drag3. Runs pretty much perfict the way it should. My 28 Drag3 I like alot. Real good midrange for a 28 and not all to bad out of the hole. Top end is as per pitch with great manners.

If ya ever get a chance to try a 26 off shore cut from a Mazco re3 youll love it with higher revs. Makes me wonder what a 26 Drag3 might be like in comparessin. Didnt like the Stock et at all on my GS. Not enough lift with a 225 on a GS. Maybe worked with a little cup I dont know? Chopper11,s work just fine but like the drag3 a little better out of the hole and midrange in stock form. Top ends were the same right at 90 in a 28. Gota get my hands on a 30 hoss Triton one of these days. Snowing today but hope to get out a few more times yet.:beer:

SNOW already???? Damn... you going to rebuild over the winter give me a call...
Roy

LakeAnna

My favorite prop ever was a Hackney 26 drag 3 blade on my old Grandsport with the 260 that Marty built for me. Man that thing was a rocket... that's the only thing I miss about the 225. Just doesn't have that killer pull to it like a strong 260.
I can't wait to get the 30!

whipper

SNOW already???? Damn... you going to rebuild over the winter give me a call...
Roy

I will, yes probably just pistons and rings injectors cleaned ,maybe svs,NOS? kidding on the Nos.:big grin Just been putting gas and oil threw her for 7 years without a hickup other than a new stator and switchbox from my doner motor. Might try a drop on 260 and try my hand at rebuilding the 225 myself also. Pulled the motor last night and moved it back to 13 1/2 setback. Going out friday for some cold water runnen.
Had my pad a little heavy on one side sanded it so both sides are even last night also. Ready to play. I would rather be trying to get 1 or 2 mph from 100+ rather than 90 though.:sad 90 has been getting old for a while now. Ya look down at the gps,oh 90, hmm again.:big grin

xb03fs

motor height seems to be my freind with my lack of power....every 1/8" is about 1.5 to 2.5 mph...running 13.5" on a xb2003 with a 200 EFI 130 ish compression SVS

njj502

Well it looks like I'll be putting mine up now. Gearcase has milky oil in it. I think it's just the shift shaft seal. No metal on the magnet at all & no water seperated out of the oil so my guess is I just was able to catch it early. Plenty of PM on these boats goes a LOOOOONNNNNG way!

xb03fs

until I found a good shop that measured the oil going into my coned CLE instead of just filling it until it oozed out the top. I was losing a shift shaft seal evey few trips. It wasnt an expensive fix, just kept adding up. May have lost a prop shaft seal once also. Plenty of time

whipper

Whipper the last two days have been HOT 108 and 106. Right now snow sounds good! Tomorrow sposed tobe 86.
-3C right now tonight. So about 27F or so. Warms up to around 45F daytime though. Right balmy. Leaves are all pretty much off the trees but still lots of color in the mountains and by the lakes.

whipper

Not to change this to a gearcase thread but filling to the very top isnt recomended. Some say 1/4 inch from the top. Thats what I have been doing for around 800+hrs on my gearcase with no issues. Ill fill it till I see the oil just comming near the hole,stop. Then I pull the filler out and let a little come out then add plug. If I let it go till spill i let more out before I plug.
The reason is filling to the overflow doesnt leave enough room for expantion as the gearcase heats up and youll blow seals. Im sure ya all knew that but for those who might not have its good to know as changing gear oil should be a monthly change depending on how often ya run in a month.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Changed my gear oil for the first time this year a few days ago. Lots of miles on it and it was a little dark, which I expected, and no signs of water, which is exactly how it should be. I've been having great luck with these sporties. I usually fill it till it blows out the top, take my time putting the drain plug in so it drains out some and it's good to go, never had a problem. It's not rocket science.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whipper, I could never live up there. I don't mind winter for a while, but its a way of life for you guys! I couldn't imagine having the boat put away that long. Heck, they're calling for lows in the low 40s this weekend and that's bad enough, haha!

whipper

Changed my gear oil for the first time this year a few days ago. I usually fill it till it blows out the top, take my time putting the drain plug in so it drains out some and it's good to go, never had a problem. It's not rocket science.
Thats why. Ya let a little drain so its not right full most lickely. ive also gone longer than recomended with no issues. Now had i filled to the drain and tryed not to loose any we might not fare so well?

Cold maybe. Real nice for boating when everyone else with inboards are scrambeling to winterize.:beer: lots of guys from work ELk and Moose hunting right now. Pretty tasty meat if ya never tryed it. Both much better than beef hands down. Fish are very large also. guys catch 20 and 30LB Rainbow trout all around hear. lake Trout {CHAR} up to around 60lbs. The oceans not to far away with 300-500lb Halubit and large Salmon. its not so bad lots to do and skiing and snowmobiling in the winter.
But ya it gets cold when its cold and lots of Snow for about 4 months. Ussually miss 6 months boating.