SS Top speed

John Tiger

Since I began writing for boating magazines in 1992, I have never reported "calculated" top speeds. I have always, 100% of the time, reported actual top speeds (and all other parameters including 0-30, 0-60, RPM, GPH, MPG, etc.) by actual testing.

racerx

Must have been some special built motor and custom built boat with a very special pad and bottom blue print to get 109 with a 26 pitch 4 blade mazco..

racerx

I am sure it was because it wont happen with the 2 stock boats I have in the garage with one having a 260 and 280,like I said I know how magazines don't tell you the hole facts they just want to sell product...

racerx

like I said bring your prop I will put you in one of my ss boats and it will never see those speeds and I will pay you to come hear and pay you on top of that if you can???

John Tiger

Thanks for that fine offer, Jeff, but I'll decline. At my age, maybe there are a still a few people I'd want to prove myself to, but you for sure ain't one of 'em. Keep trying though, it's good entertainment.

racerx

I understand it was BS and just spoke to 2 guys that were on your list of witnessing it and was told nope wasn't there...Typical BS ...PEACE

John Tiger

Jeff, you need to read more carefully (not your strong suit, I know, just like grammar and spelling). Here's what I wrote: "There are many who have witnessed firsthand the testing we did that was printed in HB and BWB--just ask the Bucknells, Wayne Worthy, Tony Brucato, Jerry Jaco, Rick Mackie, Tom Mielke, John & Jack Litjens, Paul Nichols, Lee Sanderson, Darris Allison, the list goes on--they'll tell you we did not fudge numbers then and have never done so."

So where in that sentence did you read that any of those guys were there for that particular test? What that sentence clearly said was, all those guys have been witness to at least one BWB or HB test and will all vouch for the way I do my testing. But I guess that's too complex for you to understand.

Look, Jeff, just because you haven't been able to master your SSs (I know, I saw that video of you trying to outrun Gohr in your XR) doesn't mean others haven't done it. Did you see the list of others that have been well into the teens with theirs? I guess they are all BSers too?

You should stop running your pie hole before your foot ends up in it. And learn to paint a boat, too, my Seebold is peeling like your skin.

gmorgan

I'm not on either side of this mudslinging just wanted to report what my SS did do. I owned number 8 boat to come out of the mold, everything about the boat was stock. It had too much lip on the pad, but I never touched it. I ran it with an OS style 28 chopper on a 200 gear case with Bob's cone. The motor was a center horn but was an all steel sleeve 225 block that Ruck put Merc drag ports in and opened up the exhaust chest. I had about 135 pounds of compression and ran pump 93. Never had a GPS in this boat back in the late 90's, but the 120 Medallion would read 115 MPH time and time again. I think GPS would have been around 110, but that is a guess.

racerx

John I have been faster then you ever thought of being and know how to set a boat up I don't care to go that fast in a ss ...I like how yo worded all the people above political style so know body witnessed your 26 4 blade match doing 109 with some bolt ons to a 260....as far as your boat it was junk to begin with a boat that set out in the weather for many years with coons living in it and wood all weather d. Sure I painted it but not a woodsman class painter I had half the job in materials can never tell what wood can do down the road ...I never wanted to do it and hated doing it but did it

mikesufka

Fellas -

Back in the 1990's, I had a Hydrostream Vasseret ( V-Bottom ) with a 200 ProV Yamaha ( swinging a 26 Cleaver ?? ) run 89 mph on my Faria speedometer. It was set up by that other fast guy in Avon, MN. Does that help?

LOL !!!! Who cares....

MDS

PS: Good reading for a Friday. I'm still at work for another hour.

ally2dextreme

I don't see running 118 in a SS with a 260 and a small gearcase all that hard ,if I can run 113 in a 900lb bass boat with a 26 Yamaha ..Then again most of us believe shook ran 125 in his bass boat but others can't get over 105,106.....how many have ran 135mph in there xr2002 like glen ,hell there's guys with nearly 100 more HP than Glen had and can't run in the 120s with an XR ...I see no reason to disbelieve it,now the 2003 with a 225 running 101 lol

mikesufka

I have that 03/Promax/running 101 mph article - I'll have to go reread that too .

MDS

racerx

A ss don't drive right compared to a xr or 2002 basser they don't like above 110 on a factory stock boat even me and Reynolds talked a good time about the ss at jasper ,I drove one at 115 with a stock drag and 26 pitch prop and it was insane trying to drive it while it was cutting a hole in the water leaning on its rub rail...Alley 113 is cooking you have a drag on it with xr6 case?

ally2dextreme

I know David pu has told me during r and d building the SS he went by Darris at 120plus waving ,he also said he didnt know what the changed but the production boat was a hand full