SS Top speed

ally2dextreme

For top end runs your better in the 7500 rpm range from what I've seen,if I was running top end with a 260 I would use a 30 pitch...

racerx

A Yamaha slips t
25 knob cut and 26 chopper? Are you joking? A good 26 Yam or ET should smoke both of those old school props. No wonder you haven't been able to get the SS to run. BTW, the smaller pitch 4 blade mazcos run very well...a little torquey on the wheel but they're not slow.
Its not the prop that's the problem its the hull the boat gets very ill handling there a safe 105 mph boat and a Yamaha prop will lose top end to a chopper 99 percent of the time and the guy who does my props has the worlds fastest and quickest props no dummy

ally2dextreme

My 113 in my bass boat was with a Yamaha...I'm sure it would be faster with my 30 triton

racerx

Ally what kind of mods you have done to your motor that runs good??

racerx

I think a big number is possible. My SS2000 with my lightly modified XR4, Bobs cone XR4 gearcase, went 89.7 and I'm far from a set up expert or the best driver. 8" setback, propshaft close to even with pad. If we assume speed proportional to square root of HP, and that my motor made 175 HP
300 HP yields 117.5
280 HP yields 113.5
260 HP yields 109.3
225 HP yields 101.7

This assumes someone can actually control the boat at those speeds. If someone got a few mph more, it would not surprise me. As noted above, I'm not the fastest driver or best at set up.

Highest claims on the front page of this site
Yammer 126 w/260, Titus coned 200 case, 28 lab clever (8% slip)
Dru Pobell 124 w/300 drag w/NOS, 22 drag, 10000 rpm (-11% slip)
Dondi Pratt 121 w/280, 31 Triton, 9400 rpm (18% slip)
Dock Boy 120.7, 280, no prop or rpm
John Joachim 120 w/280 30ET 8000 rpm (1% slip)
Scott Gilmore 115.9 28 Triton 30 ET, slight mod 260
Roy Roach 110, I think he said he got more in posts on the board
Mark Smiley listed at 97 with a 150 Promax. I think he changed the tuner. Torquemaster gearcase

racerx

That's to bad thought maybe you could of came out and showed us how its done..

whipper

Jeff one can only say supten aint right..:D i cant believe for a min you think 105 is it with a 260 on a SS. Especially when a Grand sport with a 260 is 105-107.

I must be very naive I guess as to what your getting at?

whipper

I'm not sure fuel is such a HUGE factor. My bone stock never touched 95 Promax was said to push my GS 97mph at one time with a 32pitch. I have been running a even 100mph with a 30pitch at the 6750 rev limiter with today's "crappy" 93 octane with ethanol.
Leaded fuel until 1995 allowed more HP and Compression in the same motor that without leaded fuel would have to have less. There was still leaded fuel around a while after that but its pretty hard to find now a days. An engine designed in the 90,s wouldn't be as potent as it would have been with leaded fuel today. This is particularly true for two strokes. You could run higher compression than you can now with leaded fuel as it helps with detonation thus = more hp. But to know what the comp numbers of a motor from back then to now is a far stretch and your probably right that it wouldn't make the differences in this case. There are to many variables like temp,humity,water temps,water oxygen content.pad design,prop,setback driver weight,Balls ect... to have two light weight setups run the same top speed with different drivers at different locations.o_O:D

Your GS is setup pretty much to perfection and is running exactly as Darris designed it to run at 100 mph with a 225. I wish mine could up hear!!;)

racerx

Jeff one can only say supten aint right..:D i cant believe for a min you think 105 is it with a 260 on a SS. Especially when a Grand sport with a 260 is 105-107.

I must be very naive I guess as to what your getting at?
Yes they can go over 105 and are a handful maybe it was just mine it was brand new 2001 and loved 105 with a 26 and you sure would of thought it would of gone faster heck my xr2002 went 109 with a 24,and when I rolled my ss to 115 with a drag on it it was a death trap maybe that's why I have a hard time believing the speeds....Any ways I have a comp ss now like new and I am going to run jasper river run with a 28 14 inch diameter Hoss prop and we will see if it drives good maybe its just me but everyone at the Allison rally agrees same....

ally2dextreme

Hard to understand last quote,I wouldn't say your the problem don't know you,I will say if you have a SS ,a 260 and it won't run in the deep teens you have a sick motor or a pad issue or a horrible selection of props. That is providing there is a driver behind the wheel.Hell we ran the big ass xb21 102 with over 500 lbs of passengers when the boat first came out ,don't think anyone has done it since but it can be done.This was with a trophy prop and a 300 but hell look at that boat and weight,I rufuse to believe a SS with a 260 is struggling at 105,we run 100 with a bass boat and a 225.......

racerx

Not the driver not the props not the setup I think a driver that's been over 125 and props that are done by the fastest on earth can get it done

mikesufka

Hey Jeff - You old Coon Hunter - who's this magic prop guy you keep bragging about ???? You should have him tune up your Goldwing after he get's done making that SS go over a 105 MPH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!

racerx

I was thinking about a re 4 blade masco props my prop guys holds world record speeds of 275 in 3.42 et top fuel I would think he knows what's going on and won two championships the past 2 years top fuel hydro king.....maybe it's just me ...

ally2dextreme

I was thinking about a re 4 blade masco props my prop guys holds world record speeds of 275 in 3.42 et top fuel I would think he knows what's going on and won two championships the past 2 years top fuel hydro king.....maybe it's just me ...
So your using hydro accomplishments to prove you had the right prop on a 20ft outboard? Seems a little odd

whipper

haha ya its an odd one for sure jeff since for you ya cant just say {seat time and you'll get there youngster} hahah:LMAO:

like i said in the PM after doing my pad for the 5tht time or so I had one side to high. That caused the boat to list hard to one side from around 80 and got worse the faster I went. I jumped in the water with sandpaper and a mask and started sanding down the high side bit by bit and testing each time until the list was gone completely. Did the pad change in 2001 compared to say 98 or 99? Did you have Darris look at the pad?

I hear you on faster ones and with your seat time and speeds you've been in other Allisons. Thats why I the out there possible reasons because its not like you dont know how to drive an allison into the teens or anything like that. I have deep respect for all you guys on hear and this thread who have setup and driven sooo fast. I also have no doubt the speeds Ally extreme and others have said they,ve gone. I mean there is more than a few running over 110 or have in the past.. maybe your wheel is just to dam hooked up for such a light hull and the rotation is just turning her over to much?? hmmmm at any rate hopefully Jasper yields what your looking for!! ;)

racerx

My prop guy has had me win numerous races along with a 126 mph pass in an allison with a 26 pitch prop.he never worked hydro props till I turned Scott on to him and guess what he is the quickest and fastest boat to date ....anyways done arguing speeds of a ss bring one to jasper and let me see in the upper teens with a factory stock boat with a 260 pump gas...