titus cut on sportsmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin from FL

Cliff,

I know many that give us a bad name depending on who you talk to.

I also know that John would never intentionally post something that would get someone hurt or do damage, no more than you would.

You guys have some type of feud going on and all I ask of you is to keep it off the board.

If someone posts something that you feel is unsafe for other owners, please feel free to post a respectable response stating that in you're experience that doing such a thing may get you hurt or cause damage.

Other than that, you guys keep it off the board.

GotMyAlly

John Richied said:
FlatOutAlly said:
John Richied said:
I tried the CLE/Titus modified case and LOST 7-mph know matter where I ran the gearcase on my XB-2002 Comp Pro.

I never have tried the Sportmaster/Titus case; it probably handles a lot different then the CLE?
Lost 7 compared to WHAT? Further evidence that your're a dick head. And a complete fricking one at that. GO AWAY. Please. You're going to hurt someoone if you haven't already. :oops:
I

J

John Richied

I’m not on here to slam the Titus case at all… The version I ran was a CLE/Titus and it just flat-out didn’t work on my set up. That was just my experience.
If it worked on yours I really would like to hear the results. The Sportmaster is the newer version and the CLE is the older style so please post what style of Titus Modified gearcase you are running. Also the Allison hull you are running it on, engine, prop, and setback…along with the speed gain.

Kevin thanks for your vote of confidence in me… :wink:

Cliff, I really have no beef with you that I am aware of… If you feel differently, I’m sorry. I have known you since the BFHP days and I really have no idea where you are coming from? You have a Titus/CLE don’t you? Is that it :?:

You can reach me at the following if you feel the need.

John Richied
203106 E Bowles Rd #81
Kennewick, WA 99337

Home phone: 509-586-6188
E-Mail: JohnR225@aol.com
Or the Privet message system, I read that daily.

B

BP

If anyone is going to get hurt, it's the fellow Allison owner that spends his hard earned $$ on unproven mods. I always thought the forums were for an exchange of info, both positive and negative, so that we could make educated decisions. I wish I had known of Johns experience sooner because the guy who sold me the gearcase sure did, but forgot to mention it to me in his sales pitch (not Titus).Why is it a bad thing to have an opinion or experience that isn't in line with some others?

Now there are a few guys on this thread talking about an improvement in handling over what they had previous and I am not questioning their results, but no one is talking speed numbers other than losses. It should be cause for pause. If I were to do it over, I would have spoke directly with Titus and asked what kind of results he has seen on an Allison XB2002 and then asked for some referals. My question now is, how much R&D is done with these cases. Are different hull designs taken into consideration? Is it just assumed, that what works on an Triad STV will apply to an Allison. Maybe I am out off line, but i think its a legit question. Yeah sure the paint job is nice but my GPS ain't happy.

Some of you may have seen/read the saying "listen to your boat, it will tell you what it wants

catfish123

Personally, I think this board should be a place where one can tell it like it is with regard to their boats, set-ups, props, gearcases, and all the rest of those items that effect performance without being subjected to unmerited criticism. Many of these mods are expensive, and some are so new that in my opinion, the jury is still out. I, like most have spent money on items that just produced no positive results. If I can share that information with others and save them the lost time and money, I believe I should do it. Just my opinion, but it is a pretty radical mod that involves cutting a gearcase in two in order to redesign it. If I felt for sure that I would truly gain a few mph on topend, I would start saving my money for the mod. I applaud John for telling it like he did and there was nothing wrong in my opinion with what he said or the way he said it.

K

Kevin from FL

Information good or bad is fine, calling members Dick Heads and such won't cut it on this board.

Anyway, SXive. Here is the Baker mod that I did to my Sport Master. I used a rotary sander to reshape the skeg and it helped a good bit with steering wheel torque.

Baker Mod.

Baker Mod Done.

froggy

I have a Titus mod Sportmaster. I did not have Titus mod my skeg when he did the nosecone because I have my own, proven, skeg mods that i wanted to perform after running his nosecone. My gearcase was filed so the back 6 - 7" of gearcase was as flat as possible without weakening the case too much (Allison's like a flat area to run on).

When I received the gearcase, and ran it, I noticed much better lift as well as basic handling that took a set better (didn't wander looking for a set). Speed didn't increase until I raised engine height. I can run the Titus Mod higher than a stock Sporty because the water pickup holes are lower on the gearcase (further back toward the lowest part of the gearcase instead of on the nose). Now that I've modded the skeg (What Titus does, if requested, is 95% of what I do) my torque is down quite a bit---this happens when the proper engine height is found; and my speed is up a bit. I'm still doing setup so my findings are premature.

I do know that some of the Sportmaster cases are so bad, from the factory, that the Titus mod really helps. For example, Dave Bostic's 2003 was undriveable with the stock sporty --- way too much torque. We trued the case up in a milling machine since the prop shaft was not concentric (prop shaft 1/8" closer to one side than the other). On the better cases, doing only the skeg mods would be the best price/performer.

I think what one needs to do to a Sportmaster depends on the factory condition of the case as well as setback and trim requirements.

I am running as little offset as I can get by with and still be able to lift a fishing load, also, I want to get the necessary lift at 1/2 degree of negative trim so the transom will lift---the extra lift, of the longer case helps me accomplish what I'm after.

To each his own, everyone has differing requirements.

Hope this helps.

froggy

badbait

John has a way of not sugar coating anything. Like him or not he will let you know his opinion.

Having said that I also have an opinion on John's experience with a Titus mod. John borrowed a gearcase that was modified by Titus and was laying around someone's shop. I'm not sure he knows what boat that case was setup for. All I know is that it didn't work as well as the case he was running. It's kind of like buying a used prop that has been modified for someone else's boat. When it doesn't work on your boat you form an opinion that those props aren't any good. It is very possible that's the reason that the case didn't work on John's boat. The cases do work very well when setup for your application. I have one of them that has run 140 mph on my STV (not with me driving) so I know they work. If John put this same case on his boat it may not work since it wasn't setup for his boat. These are just my opinions on this. It is also the reason you should not take everything you read on this or any board as gospel.

K

Kevin from FL

Bill,

I would hate to think that they are modified for per boat application.

That would result in a lower unit only good for one type of boat hull and you would need another lower unit if you changed hulls. For some reason, that just doesn't sound right.

Maybe Titus or Randy needs to clarify this.

J

John Richied

Did anyone notice on page 2/the ninth post down that BP’s CLE/Titus gearcase didn’t fly on his XB-2002-CP (the same hull as mine)?
Since it is the Fourth of July pretty soon it will be time to light the fuse and GET AWAY! :p :p :p
Maybe the Sportmaster/Titus Mod will fly on an Allison?

badbait

Kevin, it is my understanding that a case setup for a light weight STV is different than a case setup for a 2003 or 2002 Allison. There is also a big difference in the props that would be built for these two boats. If you reread my post I said that MAY be the reason for John's less than stellar numbers. I'm not a salesman for Titus but I have a hunch they wouldn't have anything to sell if their cases didn't at least equal what was taken off.
I know the case didn't work well on John's boat. If you get a case built for your boat and it doesn't work you send it back and give the man a chance to make it right before you say they don't work. A borrowed spare case is probably not a fair test. Just my opinion and I'm certainly not an expert.

B

BP

badbait said:
Having said that I also have an opinion on John's experience with a Titus mod. John borrowed a gearcase that was modified by Titus and was laying around someone's shop. I'm not sure he knows what boat that case was setup for. All I know is that it didn't work as well as the case he was running.
That is not how it was explained to me at all.
badbait said:
The cases do work very well when setup for your application.
Maybe, which case, which application?
badbait said:
I have one of them that has run 140 mph on my STV (not with me driving) so I know they work
So you have no experience with one on an Allison, thank you. Purchased the STV from GPI?
badbait said:
I know the case didn't work well on John boat. I'm just saying if you get a case built for your boat and it doesn't work you send it back and give the man a chance to make it right before you say they don't work.
Regardless of Johns experience, mine was sold to me with the indication that it was the way to go for my application.
I called Titus and even sent him a nice e-mail stating my problem...no response.However, Titus did take the time to post on my S&F ad where it was for sale with a kind of sarcastic response that he was "sorry for not being perfect". I would like to add that my for sale post was worded tactfully and did not bash his work in any way.To that end, I have still not bashed his work,I'm just raising the possibility based on my personal experience (and that of three others that have e-mailed me) that maybe the mods are better suited for other applications.
I took it off the market, because I don't want the responsibility, I own it and it is going to be turned into a $2000.00 flower pot after I remove it's innards tomorrow. Pics to follow :lol:

Caveat Emptor

badbait

Bob, sorry to hear about your experience and it sound to me like you have a very legitiment reason to complain. I am very surprised to here you weren't taken care of. I will not be sending any cases to Titus. Thanks for your explanation.

B

BP

Bill, I came off a bit harsh on you and what we don't need to be doing is arguing amongst ourselves, I apologize for that.You are a very knowledgeable guy and I have the utmost respect for your contributions here.

I also didn't participate in this post to bash Titus or his work but rather lets explore the posibility that things are not always as they seem or advertised. If no one were to raise that issue, nothing would improve.

froggy

When I was specifying what I wanted Titus to do to my Sportmaster, he suggested that Allison's like the point of the nosecone to be tilted downward something like 3/16 or 3/8". I asked him not to do that on my gearcase because I wanted something more versatile than an Allison specific case. I asked for the nosecone to be centered on the propshaft---perhaps that's why I have to run higher than normal.

Meanwhile, I'm happy with his work and can attest to the sturdiness of his nosecone since when I moved my offset inward and didn't think to shorten my skidplate, when I tilted under, the upper part of the nosecone completely split some 1/8" T 3031 aluminum (that's what my skidplate was constructed from) and all that happened was the paint chipped a little.

Another thing to remember is that the Titus mod is the same as the Tooters mod. Titus was the mechanic, working for Tooter and doing the mods. He just bought Tooter out.

Perhaps I could have spent my money more wisely, but it seems to work for me. If I thought I could pick up 5 - 7mph by removing the Titus lower unit I'd do so at the speed of light.

Let's ask GPI about this.

froggy

J

John Richied

The Sportmaster version Froggy has probably handles better on an Allison then the CLE/Titus modification? I have no idea but hope so… Either way it’s all about getting the results you are after. I was not promised any results just told to try the CLE version gearcase and experiment with it. Bob was told differently and that is no way to conduct business.

Enola Gay on the runway and ready to launch!

“Roger that, and awaiting further instructions”

john4utvols

My friend just had his SM done by JC it looks great and drives great. The cost was $600, and JC is very knowledgeable about Allison boats. I will get a picture of it, and post it.

Yellowallison

I said it MANY times..... All Yuz need to do is .......

Send it to Sandersons guy or do the "Baker" mod yourself for free, before having the entire nose lopped off a stock sportmaster! The outcome may be the same or better and you can spend the extra $$$ on gas, beer,women or lottery tickets (choose your own order).
:p :p :p

GPI Racing

Since this is the first I've heard of the gearcase going slower on Bob P's boat I will interject a little.

I have seen this happen before. I'm going to guess and say it causes his boat to run too flat and when trying to trim it the gearcase gets it's direction messed up...hence the loss of speed.

If Bob want I will exchange the case for a new one (one with a cone done slightly different) to rectify the problem. Some boats like things a certain way..it's obvious the boat doesn't likewhat he has. Let's try something else and see what happens.

Randy

ziemer

I have a Titus/Sportmaster lower unit. Here are some of the numbersthat I have. Unfortunately, I've changed a bunch of things so they're not ideal. Last May, with a bone stock sporty, and a lake ported, rod notched, 150 psi 2.5/260 I ran 105.1, propshaft about even or slightly below, 20" mid and 9" of setback.

We were setting the boat up for drag racing and the sporty wasn't cutting it in the handling department. So I sent it to Titus and told him EXACTLY what I needed the case for and what boat it was going on etc.

Since then I've changed a few things. I now have a 15" mid, 7" setback plate, stock 260 with a spacer plate and 150 psi. With the Titus sporty the boat still ran 105. The biggest gain was in the handling. Especially since my boat is a side steer. The boat handles much better with the modded sporty. When I ran it this year the case was about 1/4" or so above the pad. For drag racing it's been as high as 1/2" above. I don't think the stock sporty would have handled as weel with these heights.

Also, to add something to working with Titus. He is very responsive and easy to work with. If you have a problem call him on the phone. If he doesn't answer leave a message and from my experience he'd called me back the same day. I also have a friend that has been working with Titus and Titus has gone out of his way to resolve the minor issues they've had.

The difference between bobs cone and Titus' cone is that he completely welds the entire perimeter of the cone versus spot welding a few places like Bob's. This helps in reducing the filler cracking. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.