titus cut on sportsmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey G

most of the time i run a sportmaster on my XR. i have cut on it a little, but not much. i've cut a 1/2" off the bottom of skeg, another 1/2" off the leading edge at the bottom and zero off the top were it meets the housing to shape it a little more like an XR-6 or 200. a lot of the blow out ring has been removed and i filled in the right side water intake (starboard). i also worked the skeg some "baker mod". i run this case a lot when i'm testing and i even raced it at the last race because my XR-6 was still apart. at speeds up to 115 is seems to handle pretty good.

http://allisonowners.com/CaseyGudgell.html

john4utvols

OK here is my reason for the first post, I was told at the ally rally that my Sm would blow out at 107 mph, by some knowledgeable people. The reason I was asking about the difference in the Titus and the JC cut units was, a hydro stream in my area gain 10mph by going to the JC cut. They said they were running 116 with the titus and went to the JC cut and ran 126. I would like to know if anyone has run a SM on a SS past 108 with out blowing out.

Myron

I have ran a bone stock sportmaster on a 2000 with a stock 280 with a 32 ET at 7500 rpm, you do the math. The boat handled great with no ill effects what so ever. Just for knowledge my best gearcase is a CLE with a Bobs nosecone, on my 2003 with a 280 with the trolling motor on the front ran 107. I have ran many sportmasters stock and have not had any real problems with them, I have found you just have to play with the setup more. Just my 2 cents

ALLISONMAN

the 107 scary part is due to more of lip on the pad versues setback rather than gearcase!!!

and i call complete bs on the hydrostream with a 10mph improvement!!!!!! and the 126 mph also

and i too also know of many problem people have been having with the titus gearcases!!! he told a real good friend of mine that his cone was put on wrong but that guy had titus himself do it when he worked for tooters!!!

there are also some other vendors on here doing some shady work but i am not getting into that but i think if those people want to step up and share their exprience it should be left up for everyone to see!!!

catfish123

I know the work he does differs from some others but I have had excellent work done on 3 gearcases by Robbie Patterson (associated with Lee Sanderson) Quality work at a very reasonable price.

XSive

Great thread...

Thanks to those who have posted some information regarding what their experience has been with the various gearcase mod's and posting photos. I think I'm going to try the Baker MOD and leave it at that. I'm not running big speeds, just looking to make what I have drive a good as possible without taking the risk of flushing $2000 down the crapper. To be honest I'm very happy with my bone stock sportmaster setup.

Can anyone explain why a Sportmaster with the Titus mod would be any different than a CLE with the Titus mod? Your lopping to nose off and starting over which is the primary difference anyway is it not?

john4utvols

Bryan, that speed on the stream was told to me by Mac. I did not personally see the GPS. I am in the same boat with you about the speed.

Tooter worked for J.C., and J.C. sold out to Tooter. Then J.C. started getting calls at home, people was wanting him to start doing their work again. I really believe in J.C., and stand behind his work. He worked on Jaco's lower units and props when Jaco was setting world records and racing. I've had A LOT of J.C.'s work and was completely satisfied with it. I was wondering if anyone has ran his new extended nose cone on a SM, like the one Titus makes. I do like the look of Titus' lower units, but he is new at this and I think experience makes a lot of difference.

GPI Racing

XSive,

The "Titus mod" as it's called works better on a CLE due to the rear of the case not having the big square area in the strut. Not so much when run at very high heights but when on V-bottoms and the like.

What most don't know and are missing totally is that Titus did the first sportmaster conversion because I asked him to. I wanted a stromger housing for my STV project and the 200 housings were not lasting very long. At no time was it to be a customer thing. People saw it and then wanted one like it..typical. He did not want to do it to a sportmaster in any way but I told him it was my gamble. It is not claimed or mean't to be a faster, better handling case than a coned 200 case. What it does is as close to the same characteristics as a 200 case but with the thicker housing and skeg. The 200 case is still faster but it's close. It was done to correct a problem I had with my boat. After that what others did is history. Some guys like the sportmaster, I think it's a pile...that's my opinion nothing more. If I could post something here (a picture) I'd show you a picture of a gearcase that is all metal and while resembles a sportmaster doesn't have all the whoops and valleys the Merc case has. This is what my last 6 months have been doing.

Lastly, gearcases are kind of like tires for your car. Just because the neighbor runs Pirrelli P7's on his Porsche doesn't meen they are the thing for your Chevy. I have rarely seen two boats of the same make and model handle exactly the some. Why would one gearcase or prop be the "magic bullet".

There are some very talented people that visit this board. Most do not post anything. Why should they argue (as most subjects end up) about something they already know? There are many ways to go fast with Allisons, STVs, etc, etc, not everyone follows the same lead to the result.
I just worked on an XB2003 that wouldn't turn much over 90 and was throwing me for a loop. After chasing my tail for a week I went to the other extreme (much like some of the guys that have posted here about set ups much different from mine). Well, the boat now goes pretty good (10mph faster) but it took a different set up to what I call normal...point being each boat DOES have a personality.

Randy

B

BP

GPI Racing said:
If Bob want I will exchange the case for a new one (one with a cone done slightly different) to rectify the problem. Some boats like things a certain way..it's obvious the boat doesn't likewhat he has. Let's try something else and see what happens.
I would like to exchange, but for an original Sportmaster without any mods(no more guesses or R&D for me).Let me know on here if that works for you, and I'll ship this one off as soon as the replacement arrives.

-- 1fastone --

Probationary User
I do not think 10 mph was gained by the mod alone. J.C. did my lowerunit and gains were achieved but not 10mph.

J

John Richied

Bob I found just what you need to make your XB-02, center steer, comp pro flat FLY!!!! :lol:

It’s a 15” Sportmaster with the regular propshaft and the Baker mods…

RedAllison

John I can't remember which 2.5 you have??? If it is a 15"er you are welcome to try mine. My SM was done at JCs a few years ago and the biggest improvement I could immediately feel was in steering torque and driving. But I don't recall anyone mentioning anything about removing the nosecone on it, I thought they just basically rounded the tip (Darris said that stock SMs had to sharp of a point) smoothed the "concave" area where the skeg joins the case and then cut the skeg.

LOL after lookin at yours the other day at the river I wasn't so much studyin the profile as I was checkin out those filled holes!!! :(
RA

white03

I talked to JC a year or so ago and he said he was designing a new nose cone that would be better than the design he sold Tooter. Anybody talked to him lately to see if he is back in the nose cone business??

Sorry just re-read and saw where someone had a SM done by JC recently. Sure would like to see some pictures and hear a report on how it runs???

XSive

"
GPI Racing" Posted to :XSive,

The "Titus mod" as it's called works better on a CLE due to the rear of the case not having the big square area in the strut. Not so much when run at very high heights but when on V-bottoms and the like.
I fail to understand why this difference would have any effect when this part of the case is not on the water at speed, even on an Allison V Bottom?

Lastly, gearcases are kind of like tires for your car. Just because the neighbor runs Pirrelli P7's on his Porsche doesn't meen they are the thing for your Chevy. I have rarely seen two boats of the same make and model handle exactly the some. Why would one gearcase or prop be the "magic bullet".
I can see what you are saying.. and I agree say if you are comparing an Allison to a Bullet, but two Allison XB2002's with the same set up and load should be close. One shouldn't drive like a toilet and the other 5 MPH slower. I would think that the manuafacturing tolerences are at least that close, where similar setups yield similar results.

Just trying to understand

GPI Racing

XSive,

Even though you may have 2 XB2002s, they will each have their own characteristics. I've driven probably 30 of the things and while some are quite similar, some are very different. There are 2 guys in MPLS with that problem. One boat is a terd, the other frees up and flies. Checking out bottom shape and weights (the front to rear and side to side) they are 2 very different boats.

As far as my comparison to v-bottoms and tunnels, tunnels do not need much directional control for chine walk and such as the sponsons deal with this. The gearcase just has to push.

Randy

XSive

GPI Racing said:
XSive,

Even though you may have 2 XB2002s, they will each have their own characteristics. I've driven probably 30 of the things and while some are quite similar, some are very different. There are 2 guys in MPLS with that problem. One boat is a terd, the other frees up and flies. Checking out bottom shape and weights (the front to rear and side to side) they are 2 very different boats.

As far as my comparison to v-bottoms and tunnels, tunnels do not need much directional control for chine walk and such as the sponsons deal with this. The gearcase just has to push.

Randy
Interesting...

So how does the "strut" thickness between a CLE and SportMaster affect the difference in running characteristics this when it isn't in the water?

froggy

XSive,

The strut, on the Sportmaster may not be in the water, but the area that it attaches to, on the gearcase, "balloons" out. This disrupts water flow over the gearcase---this protruberance is so pronounced it is almost imposssible to completely flat file away, without weakening the gearcase itself.

In addition, the Sportmaster is shaped like a wedge of cheese, there are not any parallel (parallel to the water surface when running) surfaces. That's why the Sportmaster seems to "hunt and peck" looking for a set, ie. it always seems to stay nervous. Other gearcases, like a coned 200 case, take a nice, solid set. On the other hand, if one can live with a "nervous" feel, the case may be faster with certain applications.

It takes a bunch of work to make a Sportmaster handle "solid". The Stroker guys actually have the best answer---run the case up 2.5" above the pad and surface the heck out of it. Unfortunately, our Allisons like a deeper running case.

I hope this helps.

froggy

Status
Not open for further replies.