Where would you frivously spend money?

aaronmt

I'd cut the heads. Running 87 is nice I'm sure, but when you look at it, ~30 cents a gallon more from reg to premium on a 30 gallon tank, you're looking at about 9 bucks more filling up from completely empty. That's really not much money. Cutting the heads WILL wake it up on the bottom and midrange, and you'll feel that. I also agree with what's been said, stick with an OEM alien cowl. I think those lithium batteries will be the ticket a few years down the road when prices come down and they get even better with technology advances, but I wouldn't do it at this point.
Did someone say cut the heads?:LMAO:

xb03fs

Going with the cowl if only for looks but 35 lbs is 35 lbs at the very end of the fulcrum I think holeshot will improve IMHO

xb03fs

I know for a fact 90 lbs of trolling batteries makes a significant difference in break over time....if its not enough maybe my tax refund will buy those batteries...that would be a 90 lb savings together which would make it fish the way it ran light...3 or 4 mph faster but mainly a significantly quicker break over time. The break over time is what I want to improve and I think weight rear of the pad saved will make the biggest differnence if any...most of you already have fairly light cowls even a normal alien is half the weight of my production cowl..

SLOmofo

Re: Where would you frivolously spend money?

Buy a set of heads. Send them to someone who will cut them and the squish correctly. Squish is the key.
Skid planer, foil and get the lead out.
Weight makes it take longer to get there but won't really change the top speed drastically. The few times someone was stupid enough to go for a ride with me I could really tell the difference in acceleration, felt like a slug, but they were impressed.

Last edited:

suicidealli

You will notice a bigger difference removing the weight off the bow. The cowl weight will be the least you feel. When your running on the back of the pad, and motor. the further the weight away from the motor, and pad you will notice the most. Yes removing any weight can make it quicker. The alien cowl is a lot bigger than the 260 style. Not sure on areo on the big end. I wouldn't think it would hurt you. The console prolly diverts most of the air. Again compression is the best bang for the buck you will feel when you hit the throttle.
Also I wouldn't run 87 oct period.JMO
Roy

Last edited:

xb03fs

Already switching to omc troller. I may cut the heads yet. I like the way it runs light just trying to get the fishing setu to run the same as it runs light

hack02

Half fast down here in Ga had a 22ft Talon with twin 280's. It would hurt your feelings when it would run away from you from 90 and above.
Mad money, a tunnel with a car motor that sounded like John Force when it was fired up.

xb03fs

Does 10 lbs on each cylinder make that much difference my compression is 130/135. 145 is all that is recommended on pump gas

njj502

If you got 130-135 on a TOTALLY stock setup you need to try another gauge. Ive got two of em and they read 15% difference. I know which one is right.... Im runnin bout 140-145 on the PM

xb03fs

What the mechanic said we can measure when i come up to change the cowl
If its just looks I will still sleep at night

suicidealli

Most stock motors are around 125. Gauges read different for sure. If your heads have never been cut fore sure. Give me your casting number I will tell you how many cc it is, and roughly your compression.

Roy

xb03fs

Will do hoping to get to the storage shed this week sometime

SLOmofo

Gary, you need to put a stock motor on that bass boat and put your good motor on an XR2001:)
There's no sanctioned racing any where near California other than a few rope races that don't allow Whackers anyway (babys). Rope racing doesn't intrigue me. Can't see building, testing and then slowing down to win.
Anyway I'm old, slow and never raced.
I do get a kick still from "It's just a stupid fishing boat!" comment. :big grin :laughing Still puts a grin on my face and it's been 10 to 15 years ago.

I do lust over a XB2002 though. A XR2002 would be OK too, I guess. If I had an XR2001 no one would come out and play.

Back to the original posters wants.

COMPRESSION, COMPRESSION, COMPRESSION and Aces for insurance!

For 20+ years I've had a Champion bass boat (3) with a hot rodded engine. My wife and I fished two clubs and WON Bass Teams. We fished and won many tournaments without a big motor due to failures. A heavyish boat with a hot motor are not a good mix. Now I have the Champ, Allison and a Crawdad. Fish, Fast and a puddle jumper. Would be $$$ ahead if I had done it sooner.
Many times I'd fish a tournament Saturday and go home strip the boat and pick on someone Sunday.

patches

You have a Champion? Tell me again why you don't have a real go fast boat for that nuclear power on the back. I thought you still used the XB2003 for fishing. You have no excuse now:big grin