A-owners Lake Fork fishing trip???

TN XB-21

Man these are all good ideas. I hope you are taking notes RA:smile !! This thing is coming together!! Is it March yet??:smile

gaf11

I've got 2 trailers I rent out down there 5 minutes from the Minnow Bucket marina. One has some oil guys who stay there on a monthly basis( but it's open at different times of the year, the other I rent out by the week or month. I used to go down 3-4 weeks a year, but fishing isn't what It was Red when you were there in 01. The days of 30-50 fish are about over. Still a good lake, but this time of year can be a serious hit and miss. The best time to hit Fork in the last part of May. Great topwater.. Fish are moving out to summer patterns and I've had my best luck then. I've fished it since back in the early 90's. If I can make it I will, but my offer for the trailers are open If you guys want to stay. I use a lady down there to rent this out. My wife swears I should sell both of them, but I used to go for 2 weeks at a time and got tired of staying at the motels around the lake and sharing parking space, hearing hell raisin' at all time of the night, so I got a good deal on 2 used 80 ft trailers, bought some land ...when it was cheap...an bang I got a place to go fishin away from the wife and kids. They will sleep 8 guys easy. More if you got a air mattress. I'm getting 230 a week or 55 bucks a day.

TN XB-21

RA,

Tried to send you a PM but you have exceed your private messaging quota. You need to go to PM and delete some of your sent and inbound messages that are on file.:relax:

Texan

Reckon it's time to start comin up with a list of possible "rally sites" and then begin whittlin it down by Augusts end...
RA
I'm partial to the Minnow Bucket, but that's where I usually stay and they know me there. Lake Fork Lodge is just up from Lake Fork Marina, south of the 515 bridge, on the road that leads back down to Alba-Golden. We've staged a bunch of industry tournaments there through the years, but getting in and out on the water is tricky because of all the stick ups. I know the boat lanes, and once you get a handle on where they are it isn't too bad. I'm also game for Lake Fork Marina - just south of the 515 bridge and Lake Fork Lodge, but haven't ever been there. I can go by all these marinas and see what availability will be for that time slot we talked about earlier in this thread, but can't get through there for a few weeks.

RedAllison

Thanks Tex, sorry for the delay. I'm all for staying wherever anyone wants to go. Like I said, I'm not partial to ANY place. As long as it's comfortable, affordable and has plenty of space for us then I say BOOK IT DANNO!!! :beer:

Man I'm READY for the trip, will have RDWII dialed in by then and be familiar enough with all my elects that I might actually be dangerous! :laughing

I simply CAN'T WAIT to see what Fork looks like on a 997SI, :cuss
RA

Texan

Hey RA! I'm headed to Fork on Wednesday, October 3 to pre-fish for an oilfield tourny Saturday. I'll head around and see what dates in March the marinas we've talked about have open. Hopefully, we can get one ironed out. I'll let you know.

RedAllison

THANKS Tex, we need to put this thing in ink and then just start sharpenin hooks!!!

:beer:
RA

Texan

Well, it looks like I'll get at least one day of pre-fish. The honey-do's held me up too dad-gum long today. Maybe I'll stay another day on the other end to make up for it.

2HOT4U

Sounds like a great trip RA: If the time is right I'll talk to jaybluez & see what he thinks. The last time we had the trip planned it was in Feb & had to cancel because of a foot of snow around the lake,but you are so right **FISH FISH FISH!!! and they got dem good ol big uns there.

Texan

I just got back from Fork and the three marina/hotels we've tossed back and forth have availability for the last weekend in March. Lake Fork Marina has 14 rooms available at the moment. Lake Fork Resort (formerly Lunker Lodge) has availability, as does the Minnow Bucket.

Of the three, Lake Fork Marina (http://www.lakeforkmarina.com/) looks to be the most modern. They have service business' on-site or near-by. Lake Fork Resort (http://www.lakeforkresort.com/) is just up the road so all the same conveniences are near-by. The Minnow Bucket (http://www.minnowbucketmarina.com/) has the easiest access to the lake, IMHO. The other two have stump fields between the loading ramp and boatlanes, although I was able to navigate to either without running over any. I just had to idle into both which was no big deal. The tournament I fished the past few days held their weigh-in at Lake Fork Resort, but we set up huge tents with tables and chairs underneath to gather and swap stories. Lake Fork Marina has a large pavillion we can use so there would be no need to set up a tent. We can use the pavillion at no additional charge. The Minnow Bucket doesn't really have a pavillion we could use, but there is plenty of room and I've got a 12' x 12' tent I could bring to set up weigh in underneath. All have restaurants that are open early and close late on the weekends, and all have bait and tackle shops with fuel.

The man that cooked for our tournament this past weekend volunteered to come cook for us. All we would have to do is kick in the $$$ for the food and his room. He would be using my trailer cooking rig. I told him I would get him the dates once we firm things up if this is of interest to all involved. He can slop the hawgs with the best of them. In fact, that's his primary responsibility for the company he works for. We had about 200 under the tents and he had everyone slapping him on the back for the food he churned out.

All three said the same thing - book early because things could get tight in a hurry. There are plenty of hotel rooms available around the lake, as are trailers and fishing camps for rent. We probably have a little time in that hunting season is kicking in and not many are thinking about spring fishing. But I would suggest that we get some plans for the group in place ASAP, because surely there are people, like us that are thinking of a group outting in the spring. Lake Fork is too bug of a draw for the serious bass fisher, and the spring spawn is the season where these marina's make their year.

So there ya have it. I am willing to be the man on the ground. Maybe we should get a preliminary head count started. Let me know what I can do to move things forward.

Bill

RedAllison

Guys I can tell you from experience, Lake Fork Marina is a GREAT place and the BIGGEST reason I say that is because of MOSERs RESTAURANT!!! Man I'm SERIOUS as death when I say we ate in there 3 meals a day!!! It's ALL "that damned good". They open at like 4 or 5 in the morning so you can get a full spread breakfast before fishing. Lunchtime we just beach the boats and walk up the hill to eat lunch. Then suppertime we'd put the boats on the trailer, chit, shower and shave in the rooms and then hightail it to Moser's for their 20oz Tbone known as "The Texan". I mean it's AMAZING!!! :cuss:beer: And ALL of it is CHEAP. I mean the food was HOMEMADE but the bill was always a bargain. And yes the pies are AWESOME.

I'm ALL for LF Marina. And it's easy to get in and out of from the lake. The boating lane in there as well as the cove, ramp and docks are very easy and spacious.

Anyone NOT wanna book there?
RA

ps
Tex do you know if they are still open, there used to be a great lil BBQ joint down the road (at the entrance to The Mustang Resort? And the other way there used to be a great pizza/beer joint (have to pay one time $10 membership 'cause it's a dry county). Those places still open or did you notice or happen to drive by them?

RedAllison

Man I just read on the LFMarina site about "The Texas Lodge". I might have to reserve that. I figger we can fill it up surely? Sounds like a GREAT place for several of us to stay (4 bdrms, a 20person dining room plus deck with grill and fish cooker). It's $340 a night and sleeps 8-12. Per man that's a DEAL with nearly the creature comforts of home and one central place for most of us to enjoy the trip!!! With just 10 guys in it it'll be cheaper "per man/per night" than a standard hotel room. Plus each bedroom has a full bath!

I'll be out of the office tomorrow but I might call them Tuesday and try to get it! :beer:
RA

Last edited:

Texan

There are three restaurants at the corner of 515 & 1558, I think. A pizza joint, fish joint and something else. The 'something else' has been just about everything over the last few years. Last year it was closed down and this year it's back open, but I didn't look at it that hard because I was headed for some home made crawfish etouffee that my buddy Tommy had cooked up for Friday night. Then Saturday at weigh in, he had pork chops, chicken and some serious smoked sausage he has made up down in the German part of the Texas Hill Country, along with some home made tator salad and 'bout the best beans I've ever eaten. So outside of breakfast at the marina, I knew where my food was coming from.

I saw the lodge, but didn't look into it. They had advertising out on the road and in the store. The office/store at LF Marina was well stocked. I was impressed with their selection. You had said something about the food there earlier in this thread, but I've not had the chance to eat there. But judging from the parking lot, it must still be as you describe because it was packed. As far as liquor goes, you either import it in if you want it, because both Raines and Wood Counties are dry. If you run out, it is an hour and a half round trip to re-plenish. Restaurants double as private clubs and charge an annual fee. Often they'll comp you the membership if you have a big enough crowd. Only one person needs the membership for the whole table, so its not like everyone needs to get a membership if they want a beer.

RedAllison

Ok so lets try this plan as a "preliminary run":

1st Annual AllisonOwners.com Texas Bass Classic!
Wed. March 26th-Sun. March 30th 2008.
Host site/Hdqtrs: Lake Fork Marina.

Wed 3/26/08: Travel day. No official plans other than beer and boosheutn in the parkin lot after supper time. I'm going to try to get the "Texas Lodge" so between it's 20 man dining room and a deck out back, it should be a great "party central".

Thurs 3/27/08: Fishing/Scouting day. You can hire guides, fish on your own, discover the lake, do whatever you want. I know I will be at Moser's that morning AND lunchtime. If ya wanna join come on! We'll make plans for supper later, be it 20oz Tbones at Moser's or grilling/Q'n at the lodge/hotel. Plenny of beer and boosheutin in the parking lot to follow that night.

Fri 3/28/08: First day of two day tourney. Weigh-in shouldn't be any big deal since it's a paper tourney. For an actual fish kept limit, 4 under the slot and 1 over the slot. Since it IS a paper tourney if you are a BAD enough dude to catch more than 1 over then you certainly can count the "extras" in your paper creel. (tourney times to be determined later, probably something like 6-3 etc...) Again, breakfast at Moser's will be a MUST DO for me. Lunchwise, everyone is on their own since it's tournament hours. There are several lakeside restaurants if you want to take the time from each day. We'll make plans for supper later, be it 20oz Tbones at Moser's or grilling/Q'n at the lodge/hotel. Plenny of beer and boosheutin in the parkin lot to follow that night.

Sat: Same schedule as Friday.

Entry fee for the tourney is $100 per boat. The total of entry fee's will be split, 50% going to big fish of the tournament and the remaining 50% going to the 1st place finishers with the heaviest sack for 2 days. Since it's a "winner take all" if the 1st place boat also catches the biggest fish of the event, they're goin away with 100% ofda ca$h!!! :beer: (A distinct possibility in "hawg country") I'm going to provide plaques for: 1). Heaviest sack 1st day. 2). Biggest fish 1st day. 3). Heaviest sack 2nd day 4). Biggest fish 2nd day. There will be trophies for: 1). Tournament winner. 2). Biggest fish of tournament.

Sun: Travel home, no scheduled activities.

So there you have it men, at least a target date, some ideas of the plans and activities and an idea of where we are probably going to be staying. I'm going to call Lake Fork Marina this Tuesday and I'll report back ASAP. I'm going to get the Texas Lodge if it is available. If over the next few days or so we can get a headcount for those who are "90% sure at this time that they are going" then I'll try and get a room block this week as well.

Let me also say that THE primary and main goal of this trip is having a GREAT time with GREAT folks! If for whatever reason you aren't a tournament angler then tournament participation is NOT mandatory. If you want to come down and just fish, hang out and talk boats with "da family" then COME ON DOWN!!! I want ANY and EVERYONE who is interested to be there, NO pressure. If you've never been on Fork but always wanted to then now is your chance to enjoy it with great friends and have a blast!

I picked the last week of March to coincide with the spawn, be on the "tail end" of the possibly un-predictible TX spring weather and yet it's still early enough so as not to interfere with some other spring rallies, racing and other events some in here will attend as well.

Its gonna be ALOT of fun men, hope to see YOU there, :beer::at the bar
RA

Last edited:

RedAllison

And when I say, "men" I mean ALL family members. If you guys wanna bring your wives, g/fs, daughters or whatever BRING 'EM on. Like I said the only goal is FUN and R&R!!!

In fact this would probably be THE best time and place to hire a guide and take your lady out to catch the largest fish of her life. This lake is not "easy" and it's never a "done deal" but the odds certainly are MUCH better here than 99% of the rest of the country. It's a great place to bring your kids as well, can't imagine a finer place to learn to bass fish than "da Fork"...

:beer:
RA

TN XB-21

O.K. I am ready!! Count me in!! I am number one to commit to go!!:smile!!!!

Where and when do I sign up!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

Since I am a newbie at this and have never fished in a tournament, you can count on me to come in last. I just hope to catch some fish. I would hate to go home empty handed:embarassed!!

GotMyAlly

Since I am a newbie at this and have never fished in a tournament, you can count on me to come in last. I just hope to catch some fish. I would hate to go home empty handed:embarassed!!
You got the latest and greatest technology on that boat of yours......ain't no excuse not to haul in some hawgs.

TN XB-21

I seem to remember a trip to Sardis Lake, with a fellow who shall remain nameless, with all my "electronic stuff" and the only thing we caught was a sunburn!!:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO::LMAO:!!!!