grand sport videos

jas638

Banned
i am 1/2 below.
Im not sure how the skid plate would effect higher hights with or without. Mines like Jeffs just the Ally foil and I do really like that on. I wouldnt boat without it again. Things feel so good I dont see the need for a planer.

I also agree that 1/2 should be to high with a stock lip. Lipless thats a differant story. With your power you shouldnt need to go that high from what Ive been told and read..

jas638

Banned
correction i checked tonite i was 1 inch below the pad. i did the leveling and measuring and now i am 1/4" below the pad . gonna run it with the skid planner then without. will report back.

whipper

I thought ya were 1/2 inch above the pad below a 1/4 should be good for close to 100. Youll use to much trim I would think unless your even with the pad to get over 100 much? Just my two cents. edit: Just thinking with all your HP and a half tank of gas and a 26-27 you might get away with busting 100 without useing to much poss trim? You do want the pad in the water is all. Running to low with tons of power you run the risk of having just the gear case touching the water and not your pad there for suport and control? Touch down with the pad not already touching might be a little harry?:gasp:big grin Be safe and if she feels to flighty wait till ya can dial her more and try again.

BTW Its very interesting getting to know what your trying and your reports on how things went. It will help me and others when we are ready to try the 100+ club.
96 is as fast as I have ever gone in my GS with a 30 Chopper Alli cut by Hackney. Cant seem to get past 93 ever since. Im sure if I had a 30 again since i raised the motor to the moon I might get close now. Just have a 26 as my biggest wheel till sept. With the 26 im hitting 90 and before 86 or so was were a 26 would get me when i was setup to run 1/4 below. Good luck and be safe!!

Last edited:

AMERICAN

Hey jas638

I have that sweet HOSS 27 ... let me know if you like to try it.........Mike

AMERICAN

I think this is a new record this page has had 4,000 views...:gasp

correction ,I just checked and this post is the 3nd most viewed .... anybody have new videos to post....doesnt have to be a GS but it has to be a Allison..lol... lets see them...

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
well just back from the bay. ran the 14.5x27 et. at 1/4 below the pad. awesome speed from this wheel the boat crusies at 96-97 with no effort. about 3/4 throttle on the pedal-no lie. hit 100 with ease with lots more to go! very foggy bad visibility. no need to push it tonite. the et is a little tricky compared to the hoss handling wise on the boat. the boat definately needs counter weight on the left gunnel. leans bad. the hoss flies her straight with no lean! no weight! maybe it has to do with prop shaft height? also the prop has insane bow lift till 90 then kinda falls on its nose ?till i give the trim stick another bump and then it comes back up.? very fast prop handles a lttle weird. but i like it. any thoughts? gonna try it with the skid planner off. almost felt like i could feel it grabbin water? boat is high up on the pad looks sick!

ziemer

I would think the lower shaft height would offset the lean as you have more prop in the water and the right hand rotation will help offset the lean to the right...

Is the nose over gentle? If so, that is somewhat normal. :big grin

jas638

Banned
I would think the lower shaft height would offset the lean as you have more prop in the water and the right hand rotation will help offset the lean to the right...

Is the nose over gentle? If so, that is somewhat normal. :big grin
sounds logical about the shaft height. yes the nose over is some what gentle. as for the shot weight any suggestions for a location forward or back in the left gunnel?

ziemer

sounds logical about the shaft height. yes the nose over is some what gentle. as for the shot weight any suggestions for a location forward or back in the left gunnel?
I'm about 180 lbs and use a 25lb bag in the port side gunnel...the further forward the more effective. I also turned my seat slide to go left-right instead of fore/aft. :cool

jas638

Banned
I'm about 180 lbs and use a 25lb bag in the port side gunnel...the further forward the more effective. I also turned my seat slide to go left-right instead of fore/aft. :cool
i am 215 lbs so i am thinkin 35lbs? i like the seat slide idea. i try to keep myself pushed to the left side of the seat. sometimes almost sittin on the edge:gasp i think i will be turning mine! thanks jeff. gonna try it with out the skid planner too. will report back.

whipper

Probably more like 50 lbs at 215 not counting the battery. I have 2 lead shot bags and a portable charger at 225lbs with me sitting right in the center of the seat I dont have to lean over with that much. The nice thing I find with the portable charger bungied and velcroed in the rear battery compartment is when I have a passanger I move the charger over to my side rear compartment into the tray. That is enough to offset most guys as a passanger in to the 200lbs range of person to fly level with very little steering input to 90.

I brought out a few dumbells,a couple 10 lb and a 5. I left them in the center under the middle seat and tryed them one at a time untill she was flying level. i needed another 25 lbs this told me so I bought the portable charger thats about 20-25 lbs. This is a good and effective way to determan exactly how many more lbs you need to get the lean out.

Also as Jeff said way forward seems best for the majority of the wieghts once youve determaned how much you need. From under the bow area theres a hole to acces behind the glove box. I dropped two duct taped shot bags up there. i ended up taking one out and moved it back in the gunnel and the charger is at the rear. This worked for me as i have less HP. For you ,Jeff and Todd the two shot bags would work better forward because you all have more power to carry the bow better than mine at 225hp ish. Also with less lip {NO lip} i needed more trim and a tinny bit higher prop shaft to get the right attidude {edit} with all that wieght forward.:big grin {the lip helps keep the bow down at speed with less trim at lower propshaft hights}

Your setup sounds the same as Todds, GS 260 at 12 inchs setback. Though no two hulls are the exact same. To setup as close to his should be a good idea as his is a very strong runner and your boat and you being around the same size as Todd also? Not sure Todd your around the 200 mark right? Jeff at 180lbs has less setback. This to me would be why his runs as good as if not a little faster than Todds by 1mph or so. Less wieght foward in the hull less setback is required to offset the driver, more wieght more setback to offset the driver. Less wieght same power should be good for a extra mph. Todd told me to put the shot bags far forward also as Jeff mentioned. Just with my 225 two was a tiny bit much wieght forward. I pain stakingly had to take one out!! PITA.
For you two way up there would be good. Your offset wieght then is exactly across from the helm. When i have over 260hp Ill be moving them both back up there again. This did make a big differance in Speed with ease for even my setup.

Last edited:

catfish123

"Also with less lip {NO lip} i need more trim and a tinny bit higher prop shaft to get the right attidude." Whipper..........I still think you are wrong on this, I don't mean to be argumentative, but with all things being equal, less lip or no lip should mean less trim needed, not more. Think about it, the back of the boat with no lip is not being forced up which would keep the nose down. Without the lip, less trim should be needed.

Wicky

Techno weenie I am not....Lip/no lip/setback/props/this/that?? All I know is that these Grandsports are supposedly one of the more difficult allisons to fly right. Everytime I'm at the lake, which is a lot, people are blown away and how bitchin' they really are and how "on the edge" they are.
To me, they remind me of flying through the MX track balls to the wall!!
I put my GS up for sale a few weeks ago and have had a few calls with interested buyers.
Only reason why I considered selling it was to get an XR, maybe an SS, and an XB. Then, the other day as I was looking at it in the garage I thought to myself, I don't ever want to sell my GS because it is one bad *** boat and still to this day gives me one hell of an adrenaline rush evertime I jump into it and mash down that throttle.

ziemer

Just to clarify...the farther forward the weight, the more effective it is...i.e. if you have 25 lbs in the forward left gunnel, it's like running 40 lbs in the left rear compartment (near the battery.)

:beer:

Have fun and be safe!!! :cool

whipper

No problem Catfish I hear what your saying. I actually agree with what your saying. I find now that because I have raised the prop shaft, that alone has made it so I require less trim. I now don't believe having the setback was the issue I was having before. I screwed up in my measuring and if I'm at 12 now moved in I was 13+ before but I was also below the pad some were? That is the reason I believe now that I required so much trim to get the speed I needed to get with the power and props I ran before... I'm getting faster speeds now with less pitch and less trim even to above lipless.{not by choice, but I like how she feels lipless}. So if I had the ability to raise my motor like I can now at farther back I would have required less trim then also. I was buried like 1/2-1/4 below at the highest point on the jack. I think that with a lip you dont have to run as high a prop shaft hight to get the right aditude as without the lip? So were we can run with out a lip and less trim is mainly because the lip isnt there to help? Guys are running at Nutralish trim with a lip 106 at 1/8 and 1/4 above some even with the pad. To run 106 lipless with the same amount of trim do you think lipless would need to run a higher propshaft hight like 3/4 above? Thats what I ment. I have heard that to run more than this there have been guys that do believe on some models like yours and mine that the lip does make running extreem speeds above were the hulls were designed to run could do so with the lip shaved or gone. Trim aside the higher ya go with the propshaft the less trim will be required for sure. Well ya hope so because the trim would naturally start being very limitted in travel due to the diamiter of the blades and the greacases design to the pont of blow out very sortly on the possitive side the higher ya go. What I ment in that quote was when I had the shotbags all far forward I needed more trim than when I moved some farther back the other day. So with less power I believe that the placment of the Offset depending on how much you weigh should be placed so you dont need more trim to carry the bow the ideal way. If it was all say right forward you would need more trim to carry the bow. With no lip you would also need a higher propshaft hight. So finding that balance with the right hight the right amount of offset for your weight and the placment off the offset for your power suply all are factors in getting the most out of a setup I think.

When you have weight like shot bags far forward to carry the bow you'll need more trim to keep the bow up than if the weight was farther back in the gunnel unless you have the power to carry that extra weight. Sorta like the flighty feel you XB guys talk about when you take the troller off the bow. At speed you probably require less trim? The lip from what I understand lifts the stern not the bow so the whole hull. Not so much forcing down the bow but enabling the whole hull to fly more level at just past Neutral with an ideal setup cutting the aerodynamic, coefficient effect more ideal by design. With different weighted drivers the amount of offset will be less for lighter drivers. This will intern change the total force required to carry the hull level from the thrust of the propeller. The placement of the offset has an effect on this also as Jeff mentioned. So if your a heavier guy with more offset shot bags, more setback than a lighter guy should help theoretically.:big grin Hence because of the more weight forward and total hull XB03,s have generally as a rule XB03,s use more setback on 90% of setups over XS hulls. Jeffs used his hull for Drag racing and has an SS motor. Theres setback built into the 15 inchers over the 20,s. So with his lighter driver weight, side steer mods,less offset, and less setback with an ss motor his setup is fine turned for him. Less setback some say is best for faster hole shots hence the drag setup or best of both worlds Jeff has with his 260 by what speeds he gets. I think with jas setup and a 225 he is setup in the right spot, just a little more offset stragicly placed and run even to the pad and good to go. I was actually getting mixed up thinking Jas had the 340 HP JSRE 260 when its American.:banghead With more power you can get away with all the weight forward with the offset because of the thrust difference between a 225 and a 260 setup. I needed to get a little of my offset back a little from all forward with the 225 to be able to use less trim. I'm pretty well balanced now and with the higher prop shaft heights and my weight 225lbs forward as well as the 60-70lbs of offset placed all down the left side from the Glove box to the stern She flys real nice and level with very little trim at even and 1/4 above with a 225 lipless.

Last edited:

whipper

Just to clarify...the farther forward the weight, the more effective it is...i.e. if you have 25 lbs in the forward left gunnel, it's like running 40 lbs in the left rear compartment (near the battery.)

:beer:

Have fun and be safe!!! :cool
Good point. For my little motor I liked half the weight there and I ended up moving the other half just behind the passanger seat gunnel because I really could feel the extra weight foward with the lower thrust my motor gives compared to yours pluss my heavier arse by 50+lbs. Do really notice a differance turning the seat bracket sideways Jeff? I mean do you think your useing less offset weight very much by doing this? When your seat was normal did have more weight to balance the hull than you require now?

Last edited:

TBuck2003

Whipster just for an FYI with my 260 on the GSE @ 12" setback I do all my runs with 2-3 people in the boat. The boat just takes a better (Safer) set with more weight up front in the passenger seat. Since the 260 has been on (5 Summers now) I have never attempted to string it out solo. Too tough to get any good water hear to string her out like that... I find it a lot more amusing to take 4-5 people over a Hundy Quickly... Be fast , be safe

TBuck

whipper

Hear ya. Man I would love to see the look on there faces if the pasengers never gone that fast before.:big grin I know even when i take a guy or a gal to 86 {thats all I can do with a pasanger up hear} they are thrilled and amazed how smooth that feels.

jas638

Banned
well ran the boat same setup same height with the skid planner and hoss triton 14.5x28. ran consistantly 100-102. i have to say life at 100+ is a whole new world!!! even compared to high 90's. you can feel it really start "flyin". it was scary that i had more to go on the pedal. like almost 1/4 more.jays motor seems to just be gettin better and better every time i run it. acceleration is unbelievable.i will run her next without the skid planner. i will run same two props.everyone around up here is telling me that it is slowin me down top end.? maybe cause it keeps the nose down.? so i need more trim ? put to much pressure on the back and mess up the whole fulcrum point pivot thing? will report back,any thoughts ,john

catfish123

WOW!!!!!!!!!.........1/4 pedal left.......Holy Chit.......What do ya think it'll do?............125????????............Look out Todd........LOL.......This thing might be faster than your dad's 2002 with 300 drag. :rolling eyes:rolling eyes:rolling eyes